• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Tatl is a Meanie

Tatl was so mean to Link at the end of MM. I mean, Link comes to Termina and saves everbody from an inpending doom, and Tatl tells Link to beat it right before the festival. I think Link should have said screw you to Tatl, and stayed for the celebration.

Share your thoughts.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I see what you're getting at, and I don't even like Tatl myself, but it's not exactly Link's M.O. to go and party after saving the nation he's in. Plus, he was still trying to find Navi, so I'm sure he wanted to get back to that. Another reason is that Termina wasn't exactly his home, and most of the people there don't exactly know him. Link knows them all well, but because of the three day cycle, they don't necessarily know him very well, which could be tough and/or awkward for Link I suppose.

Did no one see what she says at the end? I feel as if no one understand how Tatl, and actually the same for Midna, feel about Link.

They have strong personalities, for this reason, they don't want to show this softer side, you know? Who knows why, maybe they are just embarrased about it, or just don't want to let down this strong personality of theirs. But after Link leaves, after she tells him to go his way, she screams for him (though he doesn't hear), and Tatl says "Thank you...". It's not as if she hates him, she clearly cares and appreciates all he did, but she just has that strong type of personality that doesn't find it as easy to show.

And I know this is not related, but same with Midna. She clearly starts off by just wanting to use Link, and ends up creating a connection, a friendship with him (just like Tatl), but she keeps having this strong personality. And at the end of the game, it's clear she likes him, but she says that Light and Shadow can't mix, which is why she must break the mirror. Everyone called her mean for breaking the mirror after saying "See you later" to Link, though I think she said it in hopes that some day they'll meet again, but that she must break the mirror to prevent the bad events that happened from occurring again. And that's why she cries, cuz it's hard for her.

Anyway, got way off subject. Tatl cares for Link, she appreciates it was thanks to him that she got back to her sister and friends and all, but just can't show that appreciation (though it's clear it's there when we see how she says Thank you as he leaves).

Idk, I don't hate them, it looks mean at first sight, but it's sweet when you know how they truly feel, so yeah...

Kazumi

chagy
I seem to remember Tatl telling Link to leave because he had something important to do. Or someone important to see or something. Or maybe I just implied this, buy either way I always thought that Tatl was telling Link to beat it because he had to get back to Hyrule and Zelda, just like he had promised, and just like you see in the flashback with Zelda.

But I also like the theory that chrisss has. Tatl has always had a hard-headed personality, and definitely would not want to show a soft side, so she tells Link to get lost, but secretly doesn't want him to. Or something along those lines. I should really go and beat the Majora again so I can watch the ending cutscene.

Kybyrian

Tatl isn't really mean, it's just that she doesn't really show much of a soft side throughout the game. I agree with what was said before that Tatl simply has a very hard-headed personality and doesn't want to show her soft side to Link. It's that way with a lot of people if you think about it. I don't have any examples myself, but I'm sure you can think of something like that. They act meaner just to not show the soft side that they almost never show. Link also had stuff to do, so perhaps she was also trying to get him to go and do that. I guess what I really mean is that Tatl really isn't just a meanie, she's just trying to hide the fact that she can be soft.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Well, the Indigo-gos are playing in the end credits, and Mikau's character model is playing the guitar. But since he died over the course of the game, it has to be Zora Link. Maybe Link did decide to come back for the festival, but in disguise for some reason.

It actually would have been nice for Tatl to have extended Link an invitation to the festival, but she's traveled with him for a long time. I'd guess at some point they'd talked about why Link was in Termina and she knew his quest was important enough to him that he wouldn't be sidetracked by a festival. Even if they hadn't, remember Tatl's lines from the beginning of the game:

Um...

All that stuff I did to you...
...your horse...
I...I apologize.

...Sorry.

There! I apologized!
So don't hold it against me,
got it?

She obviously didn't have the strongest social skills even from the start. XD It just goes to show that no matter how some people mature, some things always stay the same, heh. Still, her thanks shows me that she really did appreciate Link. To me, that's more important in how I view her than being "rough around the edges."

OotLord1003

Young Link
No, she wasen't being a jerk, she knew link had to go...I mean, he wasen't a resident of the land...and I don't think he really wanted to go, link isn't really the party type....So I think tatl knew that, and He wanted to keep searching for navi. I think his pal, is a BIT more imortant that a carnival. although...I liked tatl, tatl was an AMAZINNG character who progressed through the game acting towards being your friend than an enemy. She did have a sweet heart, but she was blinded with the evil of majora at the begining of the game.

'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom