• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Taking Responsibility.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Did a quick search and didn't find another topic for this.

Do you take responsibility for your actions? Always? Sometimes? Or do you like to dance around the consequences?

Also, do you think people these days are less likely to take responsibility now than they did in the past? If you think so, why?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I just did a class on this! *rubs hands together excitedly*

I think that even though sometimes you don't want to take responsibility for your actions, it is a sign of maturity that you do. If you are willing to hold your hands up and say yeah I'm wrong then you will learn from it, but if you blame others to get out of the consequences then you don't learn anything.

Anyway in this class I was doing, people that don't take responsibility for their actions have a "victim mentality". They're likely to be all, oh the whole world is against me, it's not my fault, I only did it because of this that or the other.

The opposite of this is the "power mentality", when you are conscious in making your own decisions and if you make a mistake, for example if you leave the house late and miss the bus so you're late for work, you say "sorry I was late, I know it was wrong, it won't happen again, I'm going to make sure I leave the house early from now" not "it's not my fault the bus is late I can't control the traffic" etc. This puts you in a position to take charge of your life and generally make yourself better.

There's also an entitlement mentality, where you think people should help you because you expect or you think they owe you something, but that's kind of unrelated.

As for if people are less likely to take responsibility these days, I don't think that's true.

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
I am not a responsible person.
My parents complain about it.
I dance around and take the concequences.
I'm responsible when I'm out of the house.

Last edited:

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Yes, I always take responsibility for my actions. I feel extreme guilt when I know I've done something wrong, and I don't feel better until I fess up. We all make mistakes, so I think it shows real maturity and growth when you are able to admit to them, no matter if you want to or not.
Yea, I do think people are less likely to take responsibility now compared to in the past. I've noticed recently how often people blame others for their problems. It is never their fault, it is always someone else's. I'm not saying that everyone is like this, I've just been noticing it lately.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
If you don't own up to your mistakes right away they will come back to bite you in the behind later on in some way, shape or form. Haven't really thought much on what I actually do, but if I don't own up to my mistakes to others, I sure as hell do to myself. My conscience simply won't let me get away with anything, so I will end up dwelling on things I've done that weren't a good idea.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I do, and I just think it's part of growing up. You gain more responsibility as you grow older, particularly when you get a job, and you'll learn there's nowhere to hide. Back when I was younger, living with my family, if I broke the TV or did something wrong I'd always try and skate by without getting told off. You don't really have much responsibility when you're younger. But, if I did something wrong at work, or at home now, my home, I would accept responsibility as it happens. I wouldn't try and fob it off or try and hide it. It doesn't really get you anywhere either. If I don't pay taxes, bills, etc. It's all on me, and it's my responsibility to do so.

So, yeah, I think it comes with age, and maturity too. You get more responsibility. And you don't have anyone to hide behind, either.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
There's also an entitlement mentality, where you think people should help you because you expect or you think they owe you something, but that's kind of unrelated.

As for if people are less likely to take responsibility these days, I don't think that's true.

I'd say entitlement mentality sort of fits here. They're expecting handouts for nothing. Doing nothing still has consequences, and those who feel entitled don't own up to said consequences.

Also, I agree that I don't think people are less likely to take responsibility these days. It's probably always been prevalent, but isn't well recorded. Who wants to record times when they didn't take responsibility?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
It depends upon the situation.

At jobs, for instance, I've had loads of problems being late. I always, ALWAYS danced around that. I made up whatever excuse I could, whether real or pulled out of my bum. You see, you're not supposed to be late for work in the first place, but in the second place, you're never supposed to be proud of it or say, "Yeah, I slept in." The American working culture doesn't allow for it. It basically forces you to make excuses if you screw up and want to have a shot at keeping your job a while longer.

Some things, I try to take responsibility for. I mean, I will freely admit to things I did in my past that I now think were wrong/are wrong. I've had some wrongheadedness about social/political beliefs that I have come to think differently about since ignorance was lifted. I know that I said some things that cannot be taken back. If people I have hurt do not forgive me, I understand that. If I am unable to be forgiven for ever having been evil about something, even though I am no longer, I'll accept that.

Also, without getting into it... I once allowed myself to be arrested for something rather than to try to run away from the situation.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
If I know I've done something wrong, I'll take responsibility. If I don't own up to things or accept that it's my fault, I tend to feel extremely guilty.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I try to take responsibility for my actions and deal with the consequences, because that's what i would hope others would do. even though I know that not everyone dose it.
I just can't help it and I don't know why. lol

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I hate taking responsibility because someone else can do that for me. No, taking responsibility has **** all to do with maturity in my opinion, I think people do it just to be seen as honorable, or to escape having more sh*t on their plate.

Still...I take repsonsibility when the situation calls for it. If I'm late for work, I don't make up excuses. I say "yeah, I was late. so what." with a blank stare. It's a bit harsh to do but you see, I just don't care. We're all late to school/work, it isn't some magical new thing. Trust me, work CAN wait, unless you're dealing directly with people's lives. School is very much the same. There are somethings you want to dance around, though, such as if you broke your mommy's vase or something. Typically if you did break something of your parents', you'd be a small child. Guilt sucks and that's the problem with taking responsibility for your actions as a kid. Guilt hurts too :/

Again though, there are things like if you stole from a store and the cops are by. You DON'T want to dance around that, because that means worse on your plate. :I

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom