• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Taka's Tale

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
(Another one already! Enjoy!) @Azure Sage @Dizzi @Storm_Echo

Chapter Five:

My heart skipped a beat as I heard what Papa said. Anger and confusement flared through me like a raging fire.

“WHAT?!” I yowled. “I didn’t push him!”

Papa’s pupils narrowed into slits. “How do I know if I can trust you.”

My heart dropped. Anger seemed to explode inside of me; I just wanted to go and rip Baridi apart piece by piece until he was all gone.

“Why do you trust Baridi over your own son?” I muttered, glaring at him.

His amber eyes widened. I didn’t wait for a reply. I stalked through the entrance back into the cave. Baridi glanced up at me, a smug look on his face. I growled, and quickened my pace. I padded right up to him. He glared at me and I glared back.

“So, how did it go, Trash?” he slowly whispered in my ear, so no one else could hear. He grinned, his sharp teeth gleaming. “It didn’t sound too good.”

I couldn’t take it any longer. Baridi had got me in trouble, teased me, turned my only friend against me, on purpose.

You’ve gone too far!

I let out a deafening yowl, and slammed my paws on his muzzle, claws out. He gave out a cry as his chin hit the stone floor, hard. I could see blood. Red liquid trickled out his nose and mouth as he moaned in pain

I stepped back in shock as Sarafina screamed. I saw sadness in her eyes as she stared at me. Time seemed to stop as we stared at each other. Disappointment, feelings of betrayal, anger, waved through her. I finally broke our gaze. Two lionesses rushed up to help Baridi. He was choking on his own blood. He managed to look up at me.

“Y-you win this time Taka-” he stopped, and his eyes teared up with intense pain. He didn’t talk after that. He suddenly made a choking sound, then hacked a cough, and droplets of blood flew out of his mouth, splattering all over my paws. I looked down at them, eyes wide.

I look like a murderer.

“No…” I backed up, tears forming.

“NO!” I ran towards the entrance, only to bump into Papa. His eyes red fire.

“You’re not going out of Pride Rock, remember?” he growled, pushing me back in. I glanced back at Baridi.

His blue eyes teared up and he started to cry, but his head slowly lowered and his eyes finally fluttered shut, tears still running down his face. He had passed out from stress and pain.

The cave was all chaos. Lions running to check on him as they entered, some crying, some rushing around trying to give orders.

Mama suddenly stood on a ledge so she could be seen. “Attention lions!” she roared.

Silence.

Every lion stared up at her. “Mkali, Zumaridi, go fetch Rafiki and his apprentice from his tree. Now!”

Two lionesses nodded and rushed out of the cave. Mama turned to Baridi. “Give him space, and don’t try to move him! We don’t know the severity of his injury yet.”

All the lions backed away from him except one. His mother. Tears streamed down her muzzle, as she brushed the tiny bit of cub mane he had out of his closed eyes.

Uru’s eyes shone with compassion. “Penzi…” she began softly as she approached her. She gently licked the top of her head. “It’ll be alright, you’ll see.”

*****​

I sat in the corner again, shadows engulfed around me. I stared in grim silence as Rafiki came, followed by the two lionesses clenching bitter herbs in their jaws. A tiny cub trailed behind, limping. She was also carrying a bundled of neatly wrapped medical herbs. My eyes widened in surprise.

It was that cub that Rafiki discovered on the savannah a couple months ago! Her name was Zawadi, I think. She was a unusual color, white. I had only seen her from a distance, but now I could finally see her features closely.

She was an albino cub, probably why her cruel mother abandoned her. It was terribly bad luck to have an albino lion with you. But, nevertheless, Rafiki took her in, and wouldn’t give her up. So, with reluctance, the Pride let her in their home. She stayed in Rafiki’s tree home most of the time though.

Along with being albino, she was also missing her back left leg, which was also a bad sign. She could never defend herself properly.

Maybe it was a good thing she became a healer then.

Another one of her key features was her eyes. Her shining, colorful eyes. They were violet, a very rare eyes color to have, albinism helped her have them.

My eyes narrowed as I saw several lionesses stare at her and shake their heads pitifully. I suddenly felt a strong desire to defend her; to tell those lionesses that she was just as good as they were, maybe even better.

I can’t lead, I’m not strong like my brother, and I get discriminated for it. Maybe it the same for her; maybe she gets teased too.

She and her mentor, Rafiki, sat down by Baridi, and placed the herbs beside him. I suddenly noticed how wide Penzi’s eyes looked. She stared at Zawadi in shock. Then she quickly got up and padded to the opposite side of the den, a flustered look on her face. She then started pacing back and forth.

I watched her suspiciously. I wonder what’s up with that. I decided to shrug it off. Probably she believes in the curse of the albinos.

I turned my attention back to the healers. They began to murmured between themselves, as they made Baridi swallow a few crushed up herbs. I strained to hear what they were saying, but to no avail. Frustrated, I decided to go closer.

I got up, and padded towards them. As I looked upon Baridi’s state of injury, I expected to feel some sort of sympathy or pity, but none was there. I felt nothing, and I hated myself for it. I turned to Zawadi.

“How’s he?”

Her eyes flashed with worry. “His jaw is broken. We’ll need some long wide leaves to wrap around his head to help it heal correctly.”

She grabbed some of those leaves with her tiny claws and gave them to Rafiki. The baboon then proceeded to wrap them around Baridi’s head and tie it at the top. He then turned and walked to the lions with Zawadi. I decided to follow them.

I looked at Zawadi. “Y’know, I can be your friend if you want. I know how some lions have been mean to you.”

Her violet eyes shone with shock and gladness. “Really?!” she exclaimed. “Don’t you know it’s bad luck to be friends with me?” she whispered.

I rolled my eyes. “Who believes in that fluff?” I grinned. “Not me for sure!”

She looked at me uncertainly. “But how does my friendship benefit you? All your friends probably won’t like you if you’re my friend.”

I glanced at Sarafina, but she was cuddled with Baridi. I sighed. “I don’t have any friends.” I muttered. “I want to be your friend ‘cause I know what you’re going through. Stupid Baridi ruined my only friendship, then blamed me from something I didn’t do. Other cubs have teased me too. I’m all alone now.”

I looked at her with determination. “I don’t want that to happen to you.”

Her face broke into a beaming smile. “Oh, thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!” she nuzzled my cheek. I purred. Finally, someone cared about me again.

I wasn’t alone.

(Wow, this chapter was even a plot twist for me! I wasn't going to have a healer apprentice, but it suddenly came to me when writing, and here's the result! Zawadi is the cutest ever <3 I'm really happy how this chapter came out :))

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Ack, I don't know how I missed the notification for this! Definitely an interesting turn. I like the bit of lore about albino lions. Taka seems pretty desperate to avoid being alone. Seems like he's given up on Sarafina and the others ever liking him. Looking forward to more!

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
FYI, I also didn't get a notification... probably just ZD being weird. I thought "Wonder when the next chapter of Takas Tale will be out?" so I checked your post history and then boom, here it was!

Whew, he SLAMMED that Baridi! Broken Jaw, yikes! I'm a little curious that the backlash from the other lions wasn't as harsh, and Zawadi didn't seem to care that he whupped some Baridi tail just a few minutes ago (maybe she doesn't know?)

I suppose the other lions are more concerned with helping out the injured cub than punishment for now. In any case I'm glad our boy Taka finally stood up for himself! Nervous for the repercussions, and excited to see if he can get an outcast friendship started with Zawidi that leads to more tragedy and outsiderness to develop him into Scar!

Good story as usual Echolight, thank you :)

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
FYI, I also didn't get a notification... probably just ZD being weird. I thought "Wonder when the next chapter of Takas Tale will be out?" so I checked your post history and then boom, here it was!

Whew, he SLAMMED that Baridi! Broken Jaw, yikes! I'm a little curious that the backlash from the other lions wasn't as harsh, and Zawadi didn't seem to care that he whupped some Baridi tail just a few minutes ago (maybe she doesn't know?)

I suppose the other lions are more concerned with helping out the injured cub than punishment for now. In any case I'm glad our boy Taka finally stood up for himself! Nervous for the repercussions, and excited to see if he can get an outcast friendship started with Zawidi that leads to more tragedy and outsiderness to develop him into Scar!

Good story as usual Echolight, thank you :)

Yeah, zd does that sometimes, I’m glad you finally got to read it!!

Zawadi doesn’t know (yet) And Taka’s going to be in a LOT of trouble with the lions next chapter...but that’s all you get to know :P

So happy you enjoy it!! Next chapter will be up soon, hopefully in the next few days

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
So sorry for the long wait, this one's more of an emotional chapter @Storm_Echo

Chapter Six:

I sat down again, but not so into the Shadows. I watched as Zawadi and her mentor leave. One day maybe I could spend some time with her again. I felt unusually good after talking with her. I sighed. No, I can’t. I have to let Sarafina know I’m sorry first.

I have to let her know why I did it, let her know how bad Baridi was to me.

I stared ahead confidently. I need to tell her I still love her. But feelings of doubt poured on me. She’s not gonna like me, Baridi changed that, and it’s gonna stay that way…

I sighed. Why did Baridi have to be so mean? Why? It makes me so angry, I just want to rip him apart!

I glanced at Sarafina, she finally was alone, now was the time to tell her! I slowly got up, my heart pounding. Different scenarios flew through my head as I approached her. She saw me, and quickly looked away. I could see her distaste for me flowing through her body.

“H-Hey, Sarafina?” I stuttered.

“What is it?” she said quietly, still not looking at me.

“Um, I just, uh…” I stared at the stone hard ground, blushing immensely. “Will you forgive me?!” I blurted out.

“I don’t know Taka. Shouldn’t you be asking him that question?” she pointed to Baridi, lying unconscious on the floor. He let out uneven puffs of breath, and drool was seeping out of his mouth.

I stood there, uncertain. “He hurt me, Sarafina. He stole you away from me.”

Sarafina turned, her teal eyes hard. “No, Taka, YOU turned me away from yourself. You’re not the sensitive cub I remember. You’ve grown cold-hearted, just like what you accused Baridi of being.”

My eyes widened in shock. I felt…betrayed. Sarafina, she doesn’t understand, I told her, but she still doesn’t understand! Baridi’s bad, I know it! He’s evil, He the bad guy, not me!!

Right?

Of course he is.

I’m right, he’s wrong.

I lashed my tail. “He’s a bad guy, I know he is! And I’m sorry you can’t see that.” I turned around and stomped off, my muscles tense with anger. I suddenly stopped as both Mama and Papa stood in front of me, their faces showing emotions of sadness and anger. Papa let out a growl, then swooped me up in his jaws. He padded to the corner, carrying me by the scruff. He roughly dropped me on the stone floor, and then sat down by my trembling frame.

“Taka.” He spat. “Why did you hurt Baridi?! You know that’s not what a royal lion should do. You should be more prideful, this action has hurt your and mine’s dignity as royals.”

“And you hurt him very badly, Taka, that wasn’t very nice.” Mama added. I looked at the floor, my pelt ruffled with annoyance.

“I don’t care what I did to Baridi, he deserved it! He made fun of me, stole Sarafina, made up lies about me, and now you’re against me too, Mama!” I yowled, my eyes clouded with sadness.

“That’s it!” Papa yowled angrily, leaping to his paws. “You’re staying here until you get a better attitude! I’m ashamed to call you my son!”

Mama gasped. “you don’t mean that, Ahadi…”

“I certainly do!”

I watched as they started to argue. Darkness seemed to be swirling around me in dark clouds. I suddenly clenched my teeth. With a growl, I leaped past the two lions and bounded for the entrance, holding back tears. I flinched at Ahadi’s loud roar of disapproval. I ignored it. I was gone.

I ran through the savannah, flinching as blades of grass whipped past my face. I ran for what seemed like miles, until I finally slowed down, panting. I tensed up as I heard rustling in the grass ahead. My claws slid out. I prepared for conflict. I slowly peered at the being. My eyes widened.

“Zawadi?”

She jumped, clumsily tumbling over in a heap of paws, her tail resting on her head. She quickly shook it off, and stared up at me with a cute grin.

“Taka! You scared me!” she laughed.

I relaxed, the tension ebbing away. I stepped through the grass towards her.

“What’re you doing?” I asked, staring down at her.

“Oh, just collecting herbs for Rafiki!” she said, beaming. I suddenly noticed a small pile of leaves by her. “Wait…” she said curiously. “Weren’t you supposed to be in Pride Rock awhile, for going to the gorge or something?”

I looked at the ground.

Her violet eyes widened. “You, didn’t…run away, did you?”

I tensed. “Yes, I did. Papa was mad at me about Baridi, and I ran away.”

She tilted her head, confused. “What about Baridi? He had an accident, you didn’t have anything to do with it, right?”

I stopped. Eyes wide, my mind raced with emotion. No, it can’t happen again! I can’t lose my only friend again!

“Taka?”

No. I can’t!

“Tell me please.”

I whimpered. “I-I can’t tell you, I would lose you, I would be alone again..”

I expected her to stiffen, to grow cold, to…leave me. But, she didn’t. She stayed. She was there for me, and I loved it. I need someone to be with me, and she’s there, I’m not alone, and I never want to be alone again.

Then it happened. She came closer, and nuzzled my cheek. “Taka, I’ll always be here for you, just like you were there for me, you came and rescued me from the terrible clutches of loneliness, and I’m not going to leave you alone, and ignore what you did for me.”

I didn’t know what to say. What could I say after that anyway? I broke down, choking on tears. I just stood there a cried of happiness. I finally found someone who wouldn’t betray me, someone who loved me.

Zawadi pressed her head against mine, moved with emotion as well.

“Gosh, Taka, you got me crying now,” she said laughing gently.

I finally settled down, as the last tears fell, I smiled, and pure, true smile. I was happy again, like I was with Sarafina, I found that happiness again.

“Zawadi, let me help you with herbs before I go back to Pride Rock,” I whispered.

I could feel her smile. “That’s a great idea!” she grabbed some herbs with her teeth, and I did the same. We began to pad back to Rafiki’s tree, together. Unknowingly, we were being watched.

A lioness with sparkling emerald eyes stared at us with love in her heart.

“M’dear, I’m so glad you’re finally happy again.”

Last edited:

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Whew, I will say that was a LOT of character development very fast! Really reflects Taka's state of mind, turboing through emotions so much like that as he descends into a sort of broken madness. I'm very, VERY curious to see what he does next!

Will he return to Pride Rock? Hide out with Zawadi in the wilderness and grow? Do something REALLY mean like attack baridi again? Find out next time on Taka's Tale!

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Here you guys go! @Storm_Echo @Azure Sage

Chapter Seven:

We came to Rafiki’s tree. Tied to the branches were strings holding various fruits and herbs. The baboon jumped down and walked towards us.

“Ah you’re back, Rafiki’s been waiting for you.” He said, taking the herbs in his hands. He suddenly looked at me hard. “Taka, Rafiki senses a deep brewing storm within you.”

My eyes widened. I growled and looked away. Zawadi looked at me with concern.

“Taka?”

“It’s nothing. I should be going…” I flinched, thinking of Papa, and all the lions. I didn’t want to go back. But, I can’t go anywhere else…

Zawadi suddenly turned to Rafiki, filled with determination. “Rafiki, can Taka stay here tonight, please?”

I quickly looked at her, shocked. She gave me a reassuring grin. “You want to stay here, right, Taka?” she asked.

I looked at her, all I wanted to do was stay here, I didn’t want to face Papa or see Mama’s sad face again. Plus, I liked Zawadi.

“Yes!”

We both turned to Rafiki. “Can we stay, PLEASE?”

He sat there in deep thought. Zawadi looked at him expectantly.

“Well?!” I muttered, “Silly Baboon…”

“Taka! Don’t say that!” Zawadi said.

I turned red in embarrassment. “O-oh, uh, okay..”

Rafiki finally looked at us. “Sure! Follow me, Rafiki will show you de way!”

He started to climb the big and wide tree. “Come on, Hurry!” he said.

I started to climb, but stopped when I saw Zawadi still standing on the ground. I suddenly realized, she can’t climb! She only has three legs.

Rafiki stopped. “What is de problem, Taka?”

“Zawadi can’t come!”

“So?”

“So?! She can’t come up here, it’s not fair!”

“Are you coming up here or not, silly lion.” He said grinning.

I looked back up, uncertain. It would be mean just to leave her down there, but it would be cool to see inside his tree…

I clenched my teeth. “No, you can have your silly tree, baboon.”

I leaped down and stood beside Zawadi. She rubbed her cheek against mine, clearly glad of my decision. Suddenly to my surprise and annoyance, the baboon burst out in fits of laughter.

“HA! You’ve passed de test!” He jumped around, saying bits of unintelligible words, all the while waving his stick in the air.

I leaned towards Zawadi. “…Does he always act like this?” I whispered.

She laughed. “You’ll get used to it.”

Zawadi limped over to the other side of the tree. She pushed her way deep into bushes as I followed her. “Here’s where I stay!” she said brightly. She pushed away the remaining bushes with one of her paws, and showed me her home. I gasped. It was beautiful. Fluffy feathers and leaves lined her nest, and various shiny rocks and plants lay about it. The side of the tree the nest was next to had paintings of lions and abstract lines. But what was the most pretty thing of all was the flowers. They grew in great abundance, lying on the ground and sitting in the bushes. They were had a wonderful sweet smell, and they were gorgeous violet and azure colors.

“This is a really nice place, Zawadi!” I said, padding inside. Small cracks of light seeped through the tall bushes, illuminating small bits of the ground.

She blushed, clearly pleased. “Thank you, Taka.” She suddenly gasped. “Oh! You don’t have a nest! I’ll go get some grass to make it.” She quickly limped out the entrance to collect the items. I ran after her.

“Wait for me! I’m not going to let you do that alone!”

*****​

We picked all sorts of leaves and stray feathers for my nest. I had a good time. We padded back to her nest, careful not to trip with the bundle clenched in our teeth. I sat down, spitting out the items. As I arranged them to my liking, Zawadi watched me with a beaming smile on her face.

“I’m glad you’re here, Taka.”

I jerked my head up, my mouth full with leaves. I tried to talk, but just let out unintelligible noises, leaves fluttering out of my mouth. She glanced away, chuckling. Her violet eyes sparkled with amusement. Suddenly her smiled faded, leaving a look of emotion. She turned to look back at me, a strong look of gratitude.

“Taka, you know you’re the first, and probably the only, friend I’ll have.” She whispered. “I’ve been alone all this time until you and Rafiki, I don’t even know where I came from.” She stared at the ground, tears swelling up. “I don’t even know who my mother is…”

She tensed up, her claws scraping the dirt. Her fur bristled. “She probably hated me, and left me behind in the grass where Rafiki found me.”

Tears trickled down her face, landing with a splash on a leaf. She looked up at me, her shining violet eyes wet with tears. She quickly limped towards me, and with a sob, collapsed on my chest, crying.

Through her sobs, she choked out, “Thank you, Taka. Thank you for being my friend.”

I sat there, stunned. Finally I wrapped on of my paws around her, and licked her head gently. I’ve never comforted someone else before, It’s strange.

“Oh, Taka, I’m sorry,” she said eventually after her sobs died down. She turned and slowly limped back to her nest. She settled down and lowered her head to rest on her paws. Sighing, she closed her eyes.

I stayed quiet. I didn’t know what to say, I wasn’t really good at that. Eventually I laid down also and closed my eyes. Drifting towards sleep, I felt…at peace. This place is where I belonged. I wanted to stay with Zawadi, I wanted to be with her even if I had to put up with that strange baboon. I knew it.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
Oh, poor Zawadi, I feel like she has so much going on in her head! Such a strong little lion. And a good friend for Taka, as she has had even more struggle than he has - it'll be good character development for him to hang out with her! And have his own cute nest for lion cub cuddles :)

Also, leave it to Rafiki to have a test consisting of saying "Follow me!" and then failing you if you actually do :crylaugh:

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
New chapter up! @Storm_Echo @Azure Sage

Chapter Eight:

Sunlight shot across the horizon in gleaming red and orange colors, as pink clouds gradually scudded though the sky. It was dawn. I slowly opened my eyes, flinching as light hit them. I yawned, and stretched.

“Zawadi, did you sleep well?” I asked, turning towards her nest. I stopped. Her nest was empty! Scrambling to my paws, I looked around frantically. Where could she have gone?!

I tumbled out of the lush bushes and turned to climb up the tree. Grabbing the bark with my claws, I hoisted myself up it, climbing towards the top branches. As I peered over the opening, I saw Rafiki meditating, sticks and feathers lying around him. I jumped up by him.

“Hey, Baboon! Where’s Zawadi?” I said, poking him with my claws. Silence. My ears folded back in annoyance. Finally, he spoke.

“De real question is, where are you?” he said, eyes still closed.

I rolled my eyes. “What’s that supposed mean?!”

“Simple. Are you in de calm river or de raging ocean?”

“Wha-“

“Well? Where are you?”

I growled, my back arching. “Stop speaking like that! You don’t make any sense you old monkey!”

His eyes opened, he turned his head and looked at me, his eyes bright with amusement. I snarled. Why is he so annoying?! Can’t he act normal for once? He’s lucky he hasn’t been killed by the hyenas yet!

“No, you are de one not making sense.” He said, poking my nose. I jumped back, annoyed.

“Hey! stop staring at my nose like tha-“ suddenly I realized what he was trying to say! I am a fool. I thought, embarrassed.

“…You’re saying I need to use my nose to find her.” I said. He nodded. “Well, at least the last part was that. I have no idea what you were saying about rivers and stuff.” He laughed.

“Well, go on, go find de cub!”

I nodded, then jumped off the tree and raced through the grass, following her scent trail. I ran through the grass, leaping over stray sticks and logs. I finally reached where she was. I slowed down, realizing where she had went. She sat on the pebbles, tearing small plants from their stems. She was at the river. The place where I and…and Sarafina used stay. My shoulders sagged in sadness. Why couldn’t she had just stayed my friend? Why did Baridi have to go and ruin everything?!

“Oh, Taka, you’re here!” she said as she turned to pick more plants, her eyes falling on me. My fur bristled.

“Zawadi?! Why didn’t let me know you were going out? I was scared so bad!” my tail lashed back and forth as I paced in circles.

She laughed, her eyes sparkling. “You sound like a overprotective parent,” she giggled. Suddenly her eyes clouded. I tilted my head.

“What’s wrong?”

She cast me an uncertain smile. “It’s nothing, Taka, we should better be getting back.”

I picked up some of the herbs she had gathered, and we padded back to the tree. I watched her limp through the grass, grimacing as she stumbled, barely catching herself. Uneasiness grew inside me.

“Zawadi?” I finally asked, turning to look at her.

“Yes, Taka?” she mumbled between the leaves in her jaws.

“Should you be going out in the savannah with your…injury?”

She cast me a light hearted grin. “Why wouldn’t I? I’m fine, it’s not like something going to kill me or anything, we’re in the Pridelands!”

My ear flattened, and I tensed. “But, I overheard my father a few days ago, he said the hyenas were coming into the Pridelands more and more, killing antelope and other species. What if they find you?” I shuddered. “You couldn’t run away.”

She stopped for a second, uncertainty flashing in her eyes. But she regained her bright self and began to walk again. “Taka, everything happens for a reason. So, if I die, I know that it happened for a reason. I’m not scared.” Her eyes looked down. “Though that’s sometimes hard to remember. I can’t help but ask myself why did I have to be born Albino, why did my parents have to abandon me.”

She turned and stared at me intently. “Taka, you know, you are so lucky to have parents who love you and care about you.”

“Yeah, right,” I muttered. “They don’t care about me, they just see Mufasa.”

“Taka, I’ve seen the way your Mother looks at you. She really does love you.”

“I wasn’t talking about her!” I growled. “Mama loves me, she has to!” I became suddenly defensive of my Mama.

She loves me, she has to! Mama cares about me, I know it!

It’s Papa. He doesn’t like me, I know it. He thinks I’m worthless, and that Mufasa’s better than me.”

I stopped, bristling from head to tail. I looked at Zawadi, shaking with anger. “Well, I’ll prove him wrong someday. I am going to be king one day, not silly Mufasa!” I bared my teeth. “Someday….One day….” I muttered.

Zawadi brushed her tail on my back soothingly, not knowing what to say.

“Come on, Taka, let’s go home.” She whispered finally. My eyes widened. home? I…belong at the tree? It…is my home! I grinned, and rubbed against Zawadi, filled with gladness that she considered me part of her safe haven.

I could hear the mutterings of that old baboon as we neared to tree. I rolled my eyes, still annoyed by his presence. Why couldn’t that monkey just have some common sense already? No sane animal would do this.

Rafiki leaped over to us, swiftly seizing the herbs with a mumbled thanks. He then quickly climbed up the tree and put the herbs inside. Then he jumped down with new herbs in his hands, and beckoned for us to follow him.

“Where’re we going?” I asked, padding after him.

“To check on de cub, Baridi.”

My ears folded back in annoyance. “I don’t want to see him ever again. I’ll stay here.” I sat down, narrowing my eyes as I thought about that cub.

“No.”

My head jerked up at Rafiki’s voice. “What?” I growled.

“You’re coming with us.” Rafiki said. “We need to take you back to de Pride Rock.” He paused, “…You don’t belong I dis place.”

My eyes flashed. I jumped up, my claws out. “I don’t want to go back! Ever!” I thrust my muzzle in his face, glowering in anger. “And I do belong here! With Zawadi!”

“Yeah…”

I turned to see Zawadi speak quietly. “I thought he was staying too, you said he was.”

“No.” Rafiki said, “I said dat he could stay de night, not forever.”

My stomach churned with anxiety and frustration. I don’t want to leave, I feel at…peace here. Is that the right word? I still feel anxious and angry at Baridi, but, the feelings are not as, explosive here, just as long as no one brings it up. I want to stay, I need to stay!

Rafiki grabbed my scruff suddenly. I yelped, completely taken off guard as he dragged me through the grass towards Pride Rock. What is this crazy baboon thing doing now?!!

I squirmed and twisted, trying to get free, but either his grip was surprisingly strong, or I’m just very weak. Probably the latter. Amid my struggles, Zawaid yowled for Rafiki to let me go, saying, “He doesn’t want to go!” and “Rafiki, what has got into your head?!”

His eyes sparkled with amusement, much to my aggravation. “It’s a secret,” he whispered. I gasped in exasperation.

Zawadi ran up beside me. “Maybe it’s a prophecy,” she whispered, her violet eyes wide.

“How could-“ I stopped with a grunt of pain as my head banged against some rocks. “-How could dragging me across this blasted plain be a prophecy?!” I yowled in frustration. Zawadi giggled.

“Maybe the Great Kings of the Past just have to knock some sense in your head,” she laughed light-heartedly as she trotted beside me. I expected to feel irritation at the joke, but instead I felt…amusement?

I’ve never really been amused before. This is a new feeling.

“You just need to lighten up!” Zawadi said, as if reading my thoughts. “Then maybe they’ll let you stop being dragged around.”

“Yeah, well it’s really hard to lighten up when you’re getting your head smashed every two seconds.” I joked. That was my first ever joke.

“You’re so violent, Taka!” Zawadi chuckled, and I laughed along with her.

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
HOT OFF THE PRESSES!! Maybe Rafiki saw the future and knows that Scar, not Taka, is instrumental in bringing the pride lands to a state of peace and harmony under Simba's rule?

I'm glad that there will be a reckoning for Taka's actions in previous chapters - it would have been rather Hakunah Matata of him to just live at the tree and forget about his responsibilities and the consequences of his assault on Baridi, but the Timon+Pumba lifestyle does not a compelling villain make!

I'm very curious what Zawadi has running through her head as well....

Good job as always, I look forward to chapter 9!

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
@Azure Sage @Storm_Echo

Another chapter out finally! Hope you enjoy it!

----

Chapter Nine:

We slowed to a stop, much to my relief, as we reached Pride Rock, Rafiki let me go, and I burst away from him and sat down, licking my paws.

“Come, come, we need to go in de Pride Rock.” Rafiki said, beckoning for us to follow. I sighed, and reluctantly trailed behind him. My fur pricked with anxiety as we went under the arch of rock that was the entrance. My paw steps echoed throughout the cave, and as I studied the floor, I saw many embedded pawprints of my great ancestors. I don’t know how I had not noticed them before.

Taking a deep breath, I managed to look up at the lions that rested and talked in the cavern. Luckily, I didn’t see Papa anywhere. I walked quietly into a corner and hid myself in to the shadows, not wanting to be seen.

I watched as Zawadi and Rafiki padded to Baridi, and started to check him over. I could see he still could not speak, for the pain in his jaw was still immense. I narrowed my eyes.

He deserved that more than anybody.

I stared at him crossly, my tail twitching. Abruptly, I realized Sarafina was staring at me from a distance. I gulped, and looked away, my pelt growing hot. Guilt flooded through me, and I squeezed my eyes shut in inward pain. It wasn’t guilt about Baridi’s injury, but guilt of yelling at Sarafina.

I-I’m sorry.

“I’m so sorry,” I quietly choked. “I just want us to be together again.” One single tear rolled down my cheek, and landed with a drop on the ground.

Suddenly, fur pressed against my side, and a comforting purr sounded. I slowly opened my eyes, and to my astonishment, Sarafina sat beside me, her eyes locked with mine.

“I want us to be friends too, Taka,” she mumbled as she pressed her muzzle in my fur. “But promise me something.”

“W-what is it?” I stuttered, still not sure this was real.

“Promise me you’ll never hurt Baridi again. And promise me you’ll be the soft, sensitive cub a remember. The one I was friends with.”

Friends?

“W-we’re just…friends?”

“Yes, of course we’re friends, at least, I hope we’re friends still.”

“But…” My claws scraped the ground in tension. “I-I thought we were something more…”

Sarafina’s eyes widened. “Oh…oh, Taka,” she mumbled. “We’re still cubs.”

“No…No!” I quickly got up in shock. I stumbled past her, walking unsteadily. She-she didn’t love me, she never loved me. It was all a lie!

“Taka! Wait!”

I ignored her. I didn’t know what to do. All the light in my life isn’t true! She’ll never be my mate in the future! Panic shot through me.

“It’s all a lie!!” I yowled, my eyes building up tears. Several lions turned to stare at me, pity and concern in their eyes. I broke into a run, aiming for the entrance, but before I could reach it, something wobbled in front of me.

“Stop, Taka. Please.”

Zawadi stared steadily at me. “Stop.” Her eyes shone with compassion as she gently steered me away from the entrance. She settled down on the ground, and I sat down by her.

“What happened, Taka?” she asked quietly.

I gulped, trying to force down sobs. “S-Sarafina doesn’t l-love me…” I mumbled. Zawadi looked at me, confused.

“It looked like she loved you to me. She seemed very kind.”

I looked at her, a sad expression on my face, but I managed to stop crying. “No, you don’t understand. She thinks of me as a friend, she doesn’t love me.” I said, my voice finally becoming steady as I calmed down.

Zawadi’s eyes widened. “Oh, but Taka…” she looked away, her face tinted with a slight red. “Even if she doesn’t love you, I will always love you.” She whispered. I stared in shock.

WHAAAT??!

I looked away, blushing. “Oh, um…okay…”

Zawadi turned even redder. “J-just forget I said anything!” she squealed, covering her face with her paw in embarrassment. I giggled. Then laughed. “You look like a flamingo that ate too much shrimp!”

She still looked away, but I heard her let out a quiet chuckle. We then quieted, and sat in awkward silence. Suddenly I heard whisperings. I turned and saw Penzi. She stared at us still with a shocked expression like yesterday.

I narrowed my eyes. She turned and started to quickly and quietly whisper with Maji. I growled, and padded toward them. Their eyes locked with mine as I stood in front of them.

“Well?” I snarled.

“W-what?” Penzi asked.

“Zawadi didn’t choose to be born albino, stop blaming her for it!”

“I have no idea what you’re t-talking about.” She stuttered, wavering.

“I know you’re talking behind her back!” I stomped one of my paws on the ground in anger. I stared out her, my eyes emerald fire. “You make me sick.”

Penzi growled. “You make me sick, you rascal! Aren’t you the one who hurt my son?!”

I stopped, and lowered my head, uncomfortable. Lions were staring at me, with their judging eyes. I backed up, letting out a quiet rumble of a growl in my throat. Finally, I gathered my courage, and straightening up, I glared at her once again.

“Yeah, well, he deserved it!”

Gasps flew around the cave. Mothers drew their newborns closer, and others scowled in disapproval. Penzi’s eyes burned with rage and shock, and she took a step forward. “He what?! You deserve a broken jaw, not him, you little devil!”

“Well, you’re-“

“Taka, wait.” Zawadi’s gentle voice floated to my ears. “Let me deal with this.” I turned and watched as she padded past me.

That’s it! Stand up to them! They’re completely in the wrong!

But, to my surprise, instead of standing up to them or arguing, she lowered her head. She bowed.

“I am sincerely sorry if Taka has disturbed you, or made you angry in any way. But you must understand, he has been through a lot. He has been pushed down by his father, and he is very sad about Sarafina, and how she likes Baridi more than him.”

Sarafina glanced at me, and I felt her shock, then understanding flow through her. Does she finally understand? Is she finally taking my side?

“Baridi has also purposely riled up Taka for no reason,” Zawadi continued, “Even trying to fight him when they first met. He held in a lot of anger, and the way he chose to let it out was hurting Baridi. Taka is in pain. He needs comfort just as much as Baridi needs it now.”

Penzi had now calmed down, and was taking all this in very well, although I could still see disbelief in her eyes. She just couldn’t believe her ‘perfect’ son would do stuff like that, I suppose.

“And, if you feel uncomfortable with me here,” Zawadi mumbled, sounding almost broken. “I will be leaving as soon as Rafiki and I are done checking up on your son. Then you won’t have to see me again.”

Penzi gasped, and ran up to her. “No! Don’t leave!” Zawadi stared at her, shocked. Penzi wrapped one paw around her and held her close. Rocking back and forth, she pressed her muzzle into Zawadi’s fur, as tears began to run down her face. “Don’t leave, I don’t want to lose you again…my daughter.”

Storm_Echo

Gamer of Videos
OHHHHHH! Penzi sent her daughter away!! Crazy stuff. This was a slower chapter, mostly character development. Awesome to see that classic middle school "she loves me she loves me not", like, Taka! You're just a cub xD Ahh, the memories!

What I want to know most is... where do we go from here? This felt like a wrap-up of previous threads, so now we have partial forgiveness in the den and the worst of the conflict seems to be wrapping up. Excited to see what happens next!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom