• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Table Top Gaming

Musicfan

the shadow mage
One thing that I have noticed in the general gaming section is that there is a lack of threads about game out side of a computer or other device.
This field of games includes board games you move along a board, you battle to the end, you compete against your opponent on the board using your head or luck.

Then there are card games where you need to bluff your opponent to lure them into a trap.

Then there are old fashioned RPG's you build your character and go out on a journey to accomplish some sort of task.

What are what tabletop games do you play. How often do you play them.

Big Octo

=^)
I enjoy the occasional tabletop game.

I enjoy classic card games with the 52 card deck, with Blackjack ranking high among my favorites. When I was younger I was into Yu-Gi-Oh! and, to a much lesser extent, the Pokemon TGC. I have fond memories of playing those games with my brothers and friends with incredible turnouts. Nowadays, I look through my old collection of Yu-Gi-Oh cards and simply admire the good ol' days. Sadly, I lost my Pokemon cards ages ago, so I can't really do the same with them.

If we're talking boardgames, I've played most of the classics and still do, but not frequently. My favorites included Clue and The Game of Life, partly due to nostalgia. Recently, I've been playing this game called Cosmic Encounter, and I really quite enjoy it. Its required use of logic and tactics makes it highly engaging. When maxing out the number of players, things can get pretty hectic. Not to mention all the modifiers in the game that always makes it a fresh and unpredictable experience.

I've been wanting to get into D&D, but I haven't really found a good outlet for it. I have one friend who has friends that play it, so that's an option. Either way, the entire concept really interests me. If you could somehow tap into my brain and see my capacity for imagination, you'd know why.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I've played BattleTech regularly since the mid 90s, a futuristic mecha combat game. As far as card games go, my favorite is pinochle. If I ever get the opportunity, I'd like to learn bridge.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I used to play D&D, but moved away and lost my group. I'm moving back soon, and will be able to play again. I also play magic the gathering and quite enjoy it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I feel the OP description of table top gaming is a bit limited as games can be so much more than that. There are various types of strategy games, racing games, dexterity games, co-operation games, storytelling games, real time games, and so on and so on. It can be boardgames, miniature games, use cards, dice, drafting mechanics and so much more.

Table top gaming has actually become a regular hobby of mine after discovering the existence of such a gaming club in my town. I joined a little over a year ago and have started building up a game collection, partly from discovering games at club meetings and table top videos on the web, and partly from giving word of mouth or unfamiliar games a shot. I'm even working on making myself a proper gaming table for when I invite friends over.

What I really enjoy about table top gaming is the direct way we interact with one another. Sure, you can play with friends on a console, but then you are all just staring at a screen and barely giving each other a glance. With table top gaming there's much more direct interaction, through trading, attacking, scheming, etc. It's a great way of getting to know new people, breaking the ice and at the same time introducing you to a new fun game.

Some games that I play on a regular basis are various versions of Settlers of Catan (Cities & Knights is my favourite expansion), Smallworld, Lords of Waterdeep, Bora Bora, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Stone Age, Tzolk'in, Kingdom Builder, Terra Mystica.

Some games I really hope to play more include Archipelago, Jamaica, Battlestar Galactica, Nexus Ops. There are also a ton of games being brought in that I can't currently remember the name of, but some of them are also games I want to play again.

My favourite mechanics are Worker Placement and Resource Management, I also enjoy the occasional Co-op type game. I'm not fond of Deckbuilding, like Dominion or Thunderstone, but Dice building I'm fine with. I don't like it when games get so overcomplicated that everything gets so chaotic that no one knows what to do. There was one game we played, where no matter how much we consulted the rules it was uncertain how it was even possible for one side to win the game. I'm fine with there being a lot to keep track of, and if that means you can apply a variety of strategies to win the game, even better, but when it ends up standing in the way of actually playing through a game, then I get annoyed.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I love table top games.

I played competitive standard Magic the Gathering until about 2 or 3 years ago (it's very expensive to keep up with!). I still play casual EDH with my friends when we get together.

I played weekly D&D for years until I moved to Wisconsin recently and away from my groups.

I'm always up for a board or card game whenever I get together with people. My favorites are Monopoly and Texas Hold 'em, but I like all games.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I have played D&D for the first time at University funnily enough! Legit part of my course; it was to learn about roleplay and design a story for people to play, not read, the fundamental differences in doing so and it was a good lesson in structuring a game story, but in order to do that we all had to play D&D! And it was pretty fun, actually. We didn't take it super serious, but we didn't mess around either. I quite liked the flexibility of what you were allowed to do, someone took my hat and so I fought them for said hat in a duel of honour and hats. And I wore that hat proudly till the end of my days!

Warhammer 40k, too. My brothers got it when I was younger and I never played it but liked painting them and I of course loved the games, Dawn of War is great, and I played it a while ago with my fella since he loves it. And it's okaaaaaaaaaaaaay I guess, it's a little bit slow for me but it's nice to just have a chat while playing. Watched friends play it though and my God, most boring thing ever... They started arguing about how 1 guy could clearly see another guy and I just left to go watch the grass grow.

I've been into card games for the longest time, although my favorite would have to be ERS (Egyptian Rat....Screw). I hadn't heard of it until my freshman year of highschool, and it was a popular game that the debate team would play when we went to tournaments, or when we were in class and bored out of our minds. It's a fast-paced game that favors reflexes over anything, with a good bit of luck thrown into it. A fun tradition we always had was that seniors were allowed to wear their rings backwards, which made it INCREDIBLY painful when they'd slap their hand on top of yours. Never really got a chance to use mine senior year though, it had kind of fallen out of favor in the wake of Risk taking over.

More recently, I actually go to a board game night the university has ever Thursday, and it's pretty fun. Risk is what I play mostly, because it's more geared towards strategy, although we like to mix up what types of Risk games and which rules we use from time to time.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I used to play Magic The Gathering quite a bit, it's something I want to get back into though.

I play D&D about once a month or every two weeks or so with my friends.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I play tabletop games at least twice a week with a group of friends. We have an unofficial club at the college I graduated from last semester. Most of the games I like are card based, but I like several games. I'm just not that fond of dice, because I don't care for randomness that much. As for games I play...

Clue
DC Deck Building
Marvel Legendary
Love Letter
Say Anything
Imaginiff
Pointing Fingers
Small World
A Touch of Evil
Ticket to Ride
Trivial Pursuit
Munchkin
Geek Battle
Apples to Apples
Cards Against Humanity
Castle Panic
Summoner Wars
Forbidden Island
Tsuro
Smash Up
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Magic
Pokemon TCG

I want to play others like Chez Geek, Gloom, 12 Days, Carcassonne, Kaosball, The Resistance, Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill, Mage Wars, Pandemic, Formula D, Last Night on Earth, Alhambra and Forbidden Desert.

I watch Wil Wheaton's Tabletop and Dice Tower Reviews regularly. I just don't have those games yet.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill was the game I was thinking of that I didn't particularily care for. It was too random and chaotic and unbalanced once the haunting was revealed. Sure, other scenarioes may play better than the two I ended up with the two times I played the game (one involved an invisible traitor, which had us essentially attacking air - the other was the demon scenario they had on Table Top and it got so unclear how we were supposed to stand a a chance with the things constantly attacking and only being stunned by those of us who didn't carry the right artifact).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom