• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

"Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

-----

After twenty years of dormancy, System Shock, the progenitor of Bioshock, Thief, Prey, Deus Ex, and the immersive sim as we know it, is returning. As the remake of the original game languishes in development heck after two years of delays and nought but a vague 2020 release to its name, System Shock 3 rises to the forefront. It's the kind of shut-up-and-let-me-play sort of game that I spend half my posts gushing about (if the first two games are anything to go by), and I'll probably keep gushing about it.

In case you're unfamiliar with the series, they're first person horror/adventure/shooters that blend body horror, survival horror and cool psychic powers. It was one of the first games to include the play-your-own-way multiple styles of progression that games like Deus Ex and Prey 2 would later shift towards. And even if you don't know the main villain of the series, SHODAN, by name, you probably know of her by reputation.

SHODAN.jpg

This is the kind of game that marks an instant buy for me (reviews notwithstanding). While I haven't played the original game, I've been slowly cutting my way through System Shock 2, and the trailer would have hooked me even if I weren't familiar with the series. Unfortunately, System Shock 3 only has a vague 2020 release date (much like it's less developed remake cousin), but the gameplay shown indicates a game far closer to completion.

I know this will be a day one pickup for me, but is anyone else here one of those nostalgia gamers clamoring for the System Shocks and the Deus Exes of the 90s?

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'll probably get this. Not day one, but it'll be on my radar. I loved System Shock 2 when I played it a couple of years ago so I'll be interested to see how a sequel two decades later handles itself.

Is Ken Levine involved here ? If yes, there will be hope ....if not ...well then .
Bioshock is right there on my top of the top shelves.
Look, Mr. Bubbles, ADAM!"

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Well, if it's anything like Tief 4, the last two Deus Ex games or worse that godawful "spiritual successor" to Ultima Underworld that this same team got together to pinch out recently I'm not holding my breath...

It reeks of another knockoff cashing in on a recognized name brand. It'll be lucky if it ships in a functional state, but it'll be lazy and uninspired regardless. They'll probably run out of money and start breaking the game up into $20 DLC with half the content and the ending cut.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Well, if it's anything like Tief 4, the last two Deus Ex games or worse that godawful "spiritual successor" to Ultima Underworld that this same team got together to pinch out recently I'm not holding my breath...

It reeks of another knockoff cashing in on a recognized name brand. It'll be lucky if it ships in a functional state, but it'll be lazy and uninspired regardless. They'll probably run out of money and start breaking the game up into $20 DLC with half the content and the ending cut.

Oof. I didn't know it was being developed by the same folks behind Underworld Ascendant. That dampens my enthusiasm a bit, since that game was received so poorly. I've heard slightly better things about it since it was patched, but nothing enthusiastically positive.

That being said, I'd defend both of the modern Deus Ex. Both of them are great about providing multiple paths to objectives (with the exception of the bosses from Human Revolution) and making good use of all abilities. While Mankind Divided definitely feels... unfinished in terms of plot, I think it still holds up in terms of gameplay.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
That being said, I'd defend both of the modern Deus Ex. Both of them are great about providing multiple paths to objectives (with the exception of the bosses from Human Revolution) and making good use of all abilities. While Mankind Divided definitely feels... unfinished in terms of plot, I think it still holds up in terms of gameplay.
Yeah, Deus Ex HR and MD were bad examples. They were honest enough sequels, not cheap cashins. They were alright on their own, but they could've been better imo.

But yeah, knowing what happened with Ascendant... that was a straight up scam. If they're willing to do that to their venerable Ultima brand, then they're perfectly fine with doing it to System Shock.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Yeah, Deus Ex HR and MD were bad examples. They were honest enough sequels, not cheap cashins. They were alright on their own, but they could've been better imo.

But yeah, knowing what happened with Ascendant... that was a straight up scam. If they're willing to do that to their venerable Ultima brand, then they're perfectly fine with doing it to System Shock.

Maybe we'll discover that they took all their criticism to heart and will somehow manufacture the perfect System Shock game.

:shrugs:

I hope.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom