• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SwS or SS?

How Should It Be?

• SwS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SS

• Other

• Don't Care

• Total voters

amaterasu

Writer
okay, this is actually getting on my nerves a little bit:mad:. it might just be because i'm a prick about some things:embarrassed:, but here we go.

So, we have prefixes for the games, such as OoT for Ocarina of Time, TP for Twilight Princess, but a lot of people go from SwS and SS for Skyward Sword.

people don't seem to realize that SKYWARD is ONE WORD. So it would be SS for Skyward Sword not SwS for SkyWard Sword. :dry:

nice how logic just comes up and smacks you in the face huh? :cool:

comments, concerns, other opinions?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Have ever thought of how Germans don't like using SS because of the bad connotation it has in their country.

So I'll still use SwS for as long as I live.

Some people use SwS because they don't want to use SS because of the Nazi Waffen SS. However, I'm one that will use SS as it's abbreviation, but I honestly don't care what other people use for Skyward Sword's abbreviation because either way, SS or SwS, I know what game they're talking about.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I really don't care... I use SS, but I don't mind if people use SwS...

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Totally unrelated to the Nazi connotation, but back when the name was first announced, there were some gamers that confused SS for the abbreviation for Pokemon SoulSilver. Don't really think anyone still has that trouble but I did know a few people that initially chose different acronyms for that reason.

At any rate, it's like with MC/TMC, WW/TWW, ALttP/LttP. We know what game is being talked about, so in the end it doesn't really matter. It's just a matter of preference for the person typing. I prefer SS just because SwS looks like some odd smiley to me, but that's just me.

amaterasu

Writer
Have ever thought of how Germans don't like using SS because of the bad connotation it has in their country.

So I'll still use SwS for as long as I live.

no, i didn't. it's just the way i thought about it. excuse me for being a prick about things. others, i could care less or be nice and the complete oppisite of a prick. i'm kind of wierd like that.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
no, i didn't. it's just the way i thought about it. excuse me for being a prick about things. others, i could care less or be nice and the complete oppisite of a prick. i'm kind of wierd like that.
I used SS at school originally when talking about Skyword Sword but then a GermanTeacher(from Germany) overheard thought I was talking about the SS people have previously mentioned so that's when I started using SwS

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
Personally, I don't care. It's just how you type it. I type it Skyward Sword because I now have a laptop to type with. Before, like when I first joined, I used an iPod Touch to type. So, with my laptop, I stopped using abbreviations.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'd just go with SS for Skyward Sword...otherwise I feel we'd abbreviate Twilight Princess like TlP. After all, other abbreviations, such as with Ocarina of Time, are done like OoT because they have a third word in the title to separate them. Not since that's what you're asking, but it is noteworthy to me.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Totally unrelated to the Nazi connotation, but back when the name was first announced, there were some gamers that confused SS for the abbreviation for Pokemon SoulSilver. Don't really think anyone still has that trouble but I did know a few people that initially chose different acronyms for that reason.

At any rate, it's like with MC/TMC, WW/TWW, ALttP/LttP. We know what game is being talked about, so in the end it doesn't really matter. It's just a matter of preference for the person typing. I prefer SS just because SwS looks like some odd smiley to me, but that's just me.
Pretty much this, except I'd use the fact that SoulSilver is abbreviated as SS to show that it's silly not to abbreviate Skyward Sword as SS. If no one had problems with SoulSilver being SS, why should it be brought up now? Perhaps I'm just ignorant and there are people out there who use SoS or PSS.

I'll use SS, but I also use LttP while most use ALttP, so what does it matter anyway? I just prefer a strict system of using the first letter of every word except a leading article, internal articles/prepositions being lowercase, disregarding any external conflicts that can be avoided with context.

"SS" is also a lot easier to say. 'w' has three syllables...

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I'll always you SS, as it just seems like the most simplified version of saying Skyward Sword. And when talking about Skyward Sword, there's no way it'll get mixed up with some other abbreviation (especially Nazis; these two topics don't go together). So I'll always use SS for Skyward Sword.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I've been using SS, just because I think it looks better. I don't really care however.

I'm German myself, and not offended because I am not and never have been a Nazi, and the Nazis are a thing of the past. Well, maybe a couple around, but yeah, they are like the KKK now. Few and very far between.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I'm sure every acronym imaginable could stand for something bad. I honestly don't really think it's insulting to the Germans if we use SS because we're talking about a video game, even if it's the same two letters. In the same way, SS could stand for a lot of other insulting things. For all we know, OoT, TP, TWW -- all those other games -- they could stand for something bad as well, somewhere.

So, I mean, I'm not saying that I'm like "I don't care if this insults you, I can call it whatever I want," I'm just saying that if we went this way, then every acronym would have to be avoided...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom