• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Sws is Starting to Look Darker (MAJOR SPOILER)

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
E

Efrit

It does feel like it could be going for a dark feel, ala Majora's Mask. My friend hates Nintendo for Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, saying Skyward looks "too bright" "Kiddie" and "Insults my intelligence". I honestly hate how he does that, judging the game without getting to know it. Back when MM was released, it was light looking, but turned out to be the darkest of the Zelda's by far (My personal favorite too). But, I digress. I just hope the story is great, so that the beautiful visuals and combat can be complemented by it.

~Efrit

Luigidude64

Suzune Supporter
But, you have to admit, he's just FABULOUS~!

oh. . ., i laughed so hard when i read that

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Honestly I would not find this unexpected though. Every Zelda game has its dark aspects, regardless of whether it's centrally considered dark or not, and regardless of its artstyle. Look at Ocarina: sure the overworld is bright and buoyant, but that doesn't mean we don't have the eerieness of the Forest Temple or the creepiness of the Bottom of the Well or the Shadow Temple. I was actually surprised that so many people seemed to think SS was going to be all happy fun and games simply because it was colorful. As Efrit mentioned, Majora's Mask is extremely colorful itself and yet can be easily regarded as the darkest Zelda to date: it is a perfect example of how darkness does not always correlate to the de-saturated "colors" that follow a more realistic artstyle ALA Twilight Princess.

Anyway, I've come to find that this is an expected characteristic of any Zelda game that Nintendo ever releases, as they do not seem ever interested in omitting it. I suppose now it's just the proof trickling in for whoever still happened to be skeptical.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Honestly I would not find this unexpected though. Every Zelda game has its dark aspects, regardless of whether it's centrally considered dark or not, and regardless of its artstyle. Look at Ocarina: sure the overworld is bright and buoyant, but that doesn't mean we don't have the eerieness of the Forest Temple or the creepiness of the Bottom of the Well or the Shadow Temple. I was actually surprised that so many people seemed to think SS was going to be all happy fun and games simply because it was colorful. As Efrit mentioned, Majora's Mask is extremely colorful itself and yet can be easily regarded as the darkest Zelda to date: it is a perfect example of how darkness does not always correlate to the de-saturated "colors" that follow a more realistic artstyle ALA Twilight Princess.

Anyway, I've come to find that this is an expected characteristic of any Zelda game that Nintendo ever releases, as they do not seem ever interested in omitting it. I suppose now it's just the proof trickling in for whoever still happened to be skeptical.

You're right in that. Every Zelda has darkness to it. But I gotta tell you, I personally didn't expect that kind of character in this game. I knew it would be dark, but not in a character having those kind of mannerisms. It seriously reminds me of the Joker in The Dark Knight and I can't stress that enough. I was shocked, not by the dark aspect, but by possible hints of masochism and that menacing attitude he had (he's clearly not scared of fighting without protection). There's a lot to analyze there and I was surprised such a cold and evil attitude he displayed at Link. It's not as subtle as it usually is and makes a huge contrast with how cheery everything we've seen to this point is. I think that's worth discussing.

And I never thought of Ganondorf that way. In case anybody asks. He obviously showed a more realistically human side in Wind Waker (for a few minutes, at least).

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I understand what you're saying, but I'm still really not surprised with that, as Nintendo has had a track record of including more "maturely themed characters" as well. First, I pose to you the infamous ReDeads, which are highly suggestive in their method of attacking you, even in The Wind Waker where you would expect everything to be bright and happy. What about the Great Fairies of Ocarina and MM? I'd say their mannerisms are even more shocking than Ghirahim's here. And The Poe shop owner who says to Link "if I had YOUR kind of looks, I'd be running a different kind of business hehehe...." And the suggestive implications of Nabooru's promise to Link--a promise she originally made to him when he was a kid?

You see how they have a track record with this? So I find it normal for Nintendo to include these kinds of things in Zelda. As I've said, at this point I don't find it surprising at all that Nintendo would choose to include these kinds of characters in SS as well.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I don't know, Ghirahim licking his lips in 60 FPS was really, really unsettling compared to past actions by unusual characters.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I don't know, Ghirahim licking his lips in 60 FPS was really, really unsettling compared to past actions by unusual characters.

But does it beat the freakiness of the Great Fairies? They're pretty tough to beat. The difference is that we have had a *FAR* longer time to get used to them as opposed to Ghirahim's actions right here. I'd say they're pretty on par actually....

Oh god! Debbie's fabulousness is just...wow!

At any rate, I got that feeling of darkness as well. You see how Debbie just seemingly toyed with Link?

...and you can't forget Debbie licking his lips at the end...I SO wish I could erase that image from my mind. >.<

pupairo12

Skyward Sword Anticipator
Wait, did that battle take place in the room behind that one impressive door on Skyloft? And behind Ghirahim is a door with the Royal Crest, but without the Triforce. Maybe this is what was on the blue cloth on Zelda's clothes? Sorry for the off topicness, but these are just things I noticed.

The game is going to be great...every console game has been. The developers have had so much time with this that it will have the perfect mood, music, everything. Look at TP: would you imagine that in the same game that you are herding goats and feeding cat fish, you would be running away from scary hands controlled by Zant. Or WW: the same game you are catching pigs and playing hide and seek, you would end up stabbing Ganon in the head. Obviously MM had a dark tone. All I'm saying is that this enemy's dialogue is proof that this art style doesn't equal a kid's game.

Also, this character reminds me of Byrne (I think that is how you spell his name) from Spirit Tracks so maybe he will end up (spoiler) being a good guy.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The game is going to be great...every console game has been. The developers have had so much time with this that it will have the perfect mood, music, everything. Look at TP: would you imagine that in the same game that you are herding goats and feeding cat fish, you would be running away from scary hands controlled by Zant. Or WW: the same game you are catching pigs and playing hide and seek, you would end up stabbing Ganon in the head. Obviously MM had a dark tone. All I'm saying is that this enemy's dialogue is proof that this art style doesn't equal a kid's game.

Also, this character reminds me of Byrne (I think that is how you spell his name) from Spirit Tracks so maybe he will end up (spoiler) being a good guy.

Yeah, that's how you spell it. also, how exactly does he remind you of Byrne? I don't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom