• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Swordplay

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I grew up loving The Legend of Zelda, and so I took 2 years of Kendo (Which teaches discipline) and 2 Years of Fencing (Which taught me precision), concurrently. So now I'm curios, has anyone else learned swordplay because of Zelda or any other game?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I saw the name of this thread thought this was going to be about having a gay experience.

Anyway as for the type of swordplay you are on about. Yes I used to do fencing and archery. Zelda did get me liking those sort of things initially but I dont remember taking them up solely because of the games.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I looked into fencing but wasn't able to commit to any sessions because of work shift patterns and I doubt I would have the fitness level required for it. Would seriously look into something like archery though if I could find somewhere near me that did sessions and I could work it around my shifts.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Fencing has been on my "to-do" list since I was seven I think, along with like 700 other items I'll in every likelihood never get around to because lazy. Archery too. I've done a bit of archery but without proper instruction I rather sucked at it and found it frustrating. I really really ought to do just about anything physical and soon because I honestly believe my complete lack of physical activity is dangerously close to becoming a health hazard.

Really given enough incentive I'll do just about anything, but learning swordplay for sport seems fun enough on its own. I should probably start with some basic strength training first tho... and then move on to cardio... good God I've really let myself go.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I've taken fencing longer than I've played Zelda, (Which is saying something) and was at one point in the top 20 for the U.S for the Foil weapon in my age group. I only do Sabre now...

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I've taken fencing longer than I've played Zelda, (Which is saying something) and was at one point in the top 20 for the U.S for the Foil weapon in my age group. I only do Sabre now...
THAT is impressive,I was never nearly that good.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
I used to practice fencing, but it had less to do with Zelda and more to do with just a general love of swords and medieval combat. Of course, fencing is very different from all that, but I had fun anyway. Sadly, the YMCA that ran the program shut it down several years back, and I haven't really practiced since. We've been meaning to start up a new thing somewhere else, but it hasn't really gone anywhere.
I've remained good friends with my instructor and his son though.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I've remained good friends with my instructor and his son though.
That's good to hear!

My fencing place was in this warehouse kind of thing, but moved locations to a nicer place. One coach stayed behind though, and we were having troubles with business, because we've never had a rival so close... They also took half of our business... But, they've fallen behind in the "race" and we're doing good!

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Ah. I did Foil for several years, but switched to Sabre when I ROYALLY pissed another Foil fencer from another club off. I swear, if they see me again, they'll kill me. I'd already been taking Sabre for a while at that point, and my Sabre skill was rapidly overtaking my Foil Skill, so I decided to Switch to Sabre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom