• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Swordless Oot Run?

Thanks to all who responded.
Looks like I've got a new project to start after finals, seeing it's possible. I just need to confirm two things first:

1) Phantom Ganon/Ganondorf's attacks can be deflected by on empty bottle right?
2) Can the Fire Temple can cleared before the Forest Temple? I've never actually tested it, and I could use the megaton hammer as soon as I can get it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Looks like I've got a new project to start after finals, seeing it's possible. I just need to confirm two things first:

2) Can the Fire Temple can cleared before the Forest Temple? I've never actually tested it, and I could use the megaton hammer as soon as I can get it.

Yes Phantom Ganon can be defeated with a bottle.
About question 2 I am not so sure because you need the Hookshot in the beginning to cross the gap. And you need the Bow and Arrows to hit the eye above one of the doors. I guess it is possible with a glitch or something

MW7

Yes and yes and I'm 100% positive on the second question. The switch Vanessa is referring to leads to the dungeon map so you don't need the bow, and you can just climb over the fence to get it anyway. Also nothing's stopping you from completing part of one dungeon and leaving and going to another. I recall trying this challenge and getting bored and quitting (so actually I don't know for sure if a swordless run is possible glitchfree), and what I did was complete up to the first half of the Forest Temple up to the bow because that is the probably the most helpful item in this challenge and then left to get the megaton hammer because that's the other extremely helpful item. I fought Stalfos in the Forest Temple by stunning them with deku nuts/hookshot and damaging them with bombchus/bombs. Once you get the bow things get much easier.

[video=youtube;VV0p9wFmMo8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0p9wFmMo8&context=C4f6f0a0ADvjVQa1PpcFP_vHnwW__YrUDdYShc9Dyi uq4mwIb0yjs=[/video]

Swordless runs are in fact possible, hoped this helped!

At the 4:00 mark he gets the sword here. Unless there is some other glitch that gets you either past the kokiri gaurd or are able to skip the 1st dungeon I don't think it is even possible.
You are forced to have a sword equiped before the first dungeon. Or at least need the sword to do some glitches.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes and yes and I'm 100% positive on the second question. The switch Vanessa is referring to leads to the dungeon map so you don't need the bow, and you can just climb over the fence to get it anyway. Also nothing's stopping you from completing part of one dungeon and leaving and going to another. I recall trying this challenge and getting bored and quitting (so actually I don't know for sure if a swordless run is possible glitchfree), and what I did was complete up to the first half of the Forest Temple up to the bow because that is the probably the most helpful item in this challenge and then left to get the megaton hammer because that's the other extremely helpful item. I fought Stalfos in the Forest Temple by stunning them with deku nuts/hookshot and damaging them with bombchus/bombs. Once you get the bow things get much easier.

So how do you cross the gap in the beginning? After he enters the Dungeon from Darunia's room. I'm pretty sure you need the Hookshot to cross that gap. The bridge I mean when Sheik is waiting for you to teach you the Bolero of Fire.

MW7

So how do you cross the gap in the beginning? After he enters the Dungeon from Darunia's room. I'm pretty sure you need the Hookshot to cross that gap. The bridge I mean when Sheik is waiting for you to teach you the Bolero of Fire.
Yes you're right you get the hookshot. However that has nothing to do with the Forest Temple because it's in Dampe's grave.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes you're right you get the hookshot. However that has nothing to do with the Forest Temple because it's in Dampe's grave.

Hahaha shoot I forget that everytime :P I keep on forgetting about the hookshot given to you by Dampe. I did switch temples. I think I played the Water Temple once before the Fire Temple

At the 4:00 mark he gets the sword here. Unless there is some other glitch that gets you either past the kokiri gaurd or are able to skip the 1st dungeon I don't think it is even possible.
You are forced to have a sword equiped before the first dungeon. Or at least need the sword to do some glitches.

I plan to do this without glitches, so unfortunately I will have to equip the kokiri sword. As long as I never actually use it though, the and results are essentially the same.

M

Mavet

I know this thread is as old as eternity, and im sorry for resurrecting it, but I feel I'm needed here. Idk if OP ever accomplished his goals, but I accomplished very similar goals not too long ago.
I Beat OoT with only swinging the sword twice. Once to land the last blow on the last section of the Ganon fight, and one to land the last last blow when he's being held by Zelda.

That's it.

That being said, it's not at all possible without glitches, but only because of one dungeon, the shadow temple. Here's the problem, the boss of the shadow temple can only be hurt by two things, deku sticks and swords. Now adult link can't use deku sticks, and young link can't get to the boss without glitches. The way I saw it i had two glitch options. I could glitch my way through the shadow temple as young link, which is possible but incredibly difficult, and im terrible at bomchu hovering. The other option was to use the 'bottle on b glitch" and just give myself the shadow emblem thingy. I chose the second easier one. It's really cool being able to say i "beat OoT without swinging a sword except for the required two on ganon" but I've recently revisited the matter and am probably going to attempt a run that includes actually killing the shadow temple boss. I'm just not satisfied knowing I didn't kill that stupid drummer. I may wright a walkthrough or FAQ or something, if so i'll link it here, but then again I may not even do this thing, I've got a lot going on in my life right now.

All of that to say, it is CERTAINLY possible to beat OoT without swinging a sword right on up to the last two "last hits". I've done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done, Mavet. That's quite an accomplishment. I suspect this means you can beat the game without using the sword as a weapon, because of a glitch that allows you to warp straight from Dodongo's Cavern to half way through the ending credits, skipping the Ganon fight. I can't remember whether you'd need the sword to clip through various objects, though.

I wonder what the minimum amount of sword slashes are required to beat the game glitchless is. You'd need to use the Biggoron Sword's Jumpslash (or charged spin, I suppose) to minimise amount of slashes, but I can't find an enemy health list for OoT so I don't know how many it would take.

LumiGem

He gave me LOADED DICE!
You would need as many bombs, deku sticks, and stuff like that as possible.
Otherwise, you're doomed.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I've seen a couple tas's of sword less runs. It's possible but without the right practice it could go terribly wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom