• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sword Problem.

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
Ok, SwS is suppose to get the player immersed in the game by giving them full control of the sword/other items. What I don't understand is why Nintendo didn't think about the slight possibility that someone who buys this game, might hold the wii remote in their left hand. I hold the wii remote in my right hand, but I have friends (ZH) who use the remote in their left. I think if someone isn't given the ability to chose what hand they hold the wii remote in, they'll probably have a hard time learning the controls and it would probably be uncomfortable for them.

For instance, Nintendo could have had a pop-up that asks what hand the player holds the wii remote whenever a new save is made. If someone chooses left, the game would be reversed, kinda like how in TP, where the Wii version was a mirror of the GC version. So, what are your thoughts about this?

Last edited:

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
It is confirmed to be right-hand only, and it is like that because the analogue stick has always been for the left thumb, even for lefties. Anyway, back at E3 2010 I saw a video of some IGN guy playing the game with the Wii remote in his left hand, and the game was playing completely normaly.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Thanks for mentioning me! :lol:

But yeah, it was confirmed right hand only, and the game is practically done. But, if they did have an option, i think it would be more like Wii Sports Resort, where the controls changed depending on the hand so the whole game wasn't effected.

First off this isn't really a problem for lefties, the game is designed around WM+ and most lefties(that i know) are ambidextrous. Now if the lefty is only a lefty then we have a slight problem. Nintendo already said that there will be no left hand option because that would prolong the game further. I think it will work out just fine without the left hand option and it won't hurt the player's ability to play too much.

guy123

The Waker of the Winds
yeah, it might just take some getting used to. It might feel a little unnatural at first, but just try and maybe you'll get used to it.

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
This is something Ive been worried about actually. I hold the wii mote in my left hand, because Im left handed obviously:P But it worked in my left hand in Twilight Princess, so Im just kind of hoping I can do the same for Skyward Sword and it work okay, because I cant hold the wii mote in my right hand!

This is something Ive been worried about actually. I hold the wii mote in my left hand, because Im left handed obviously:P But it worked in my left hand in Twilight Princess, so Im just kind of hoping I can do the same for Skyward Sword and it work okay, because I cant hold the wii mote in my right hand!

That might be a problem if even if you were OK in Twilight Princess . Since there is the Wii motion plus added and more precision with your movement it might screw you up a bit. Or you might be able to get away with playing the game through a mirror but that would just be awkward and kinda ridiculous.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
All you have to do is swing your hand in a certain direction, it doesn't matter how strong or weak it is.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's actually not that hard to use the Wii Motion Plus in your off hand, as the motions aren't all-out flail. Yes, the swings are actually wide, but you don't have to bring your arm back behind your back, or anything. I've tried playing Red Steel 2 with the Wii Remote in my left hand, and I was able to do just fine. (And I suck at pretty much everything with my left hand.) So there really shouldn't be any concern. I think there should be a lefty option, but there's nothing we can do about it at the moment, so it's best to not complain about it.

That might be a problem if even if you were OK in Twilight Princess . Since there is the Wii motion plus added and more precision with your movement it might screw you up a bit. Or you might be able to get away with playing the game through a mirror but that would just be awkward and kinda ridiculous.

That would actually make it worse, as the motions of the sword would look mirrored, as well. Swings across the body would still go to the right, which would then be left in the mirror, but you're swinging right, so it doesn't make sense that it looks left, and... You see where I'm going with this? The idea may seem decent upon mention, but it's actually something not worth trying.

I think there should be a lefty option, but there's nothing we can do about it at the moment, so it's best to not complain about it.

I thought last year they or sometime they said there would be. But i guess that changed. I was hoping the would even though im right handed because link IS left handed. If there was i would train so i could play lefty, just to keep it how it should be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Some people really cannot do things with their offhand, even if they had taken years and years of practice they may not be able to do simple things. For example, I can't dribble a basketball (dribbling is an extremely simple task, it hardly requires motion anyway!) with my left hand - something just won't function in the left side of my body (I am close to having scoliosis though and my checkup lady said that is part of my problem). If Nintendo pushed the release date further than what it is just to give support to the lefties, I really wouldn't mind. And contrary to what JJ said, it would be useful to complain about it. Especially if you sent an email directly to Nintendo, as that would force either better customer support in the future or some random PR statement that explains why there is no lefty support.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
If there are really extreme cases of not even being able to move the Wiimote, then I'm sure lefties can still hold the Wiimote in their left hand. I've seen a man play this way and it works.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I thought last year they or sometime they said there would be. But i guess that changed. I was hoping the would even though im right handed because link IS left handed. If there was i would train so i could play lefty, just to keep it how it should be.

No, that was just a rumor. People also thought voice acting would be in the game.

And contrary to what JJ said, it would be useful to complain about it.

I'm saying that just sitting around and complaining about Skyward Sword not having a left-handed option isn't worth it. I didn't say people couldn't suggest it for the next Zelda title.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
Left handed people have been slighted by ergonomics since the beginning of time. I think most of us are used to it, and are able to adapt without complaint. I'm left handed, even use knifes with my left hand, but I will play (and have always played) with the wiimote in my right hand. And if you could switch, the analogue stick would be in your right hand - I feel like if you can use the analogue stick fine in your off-hand then you won't have a problem pretending to swing about a sword. It certainly isn't going to be fine motor controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom