• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Switch Successor Wishlist

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Sooner or later, it's gonna be imminent. Call it the Switch Pro, the Super Switch, the Switch 2. But it's coming. Hopefully, at least.

What would you like to see in a possible Switch revision/successor?

No JoyCon drift
Bigger internal memory
1080 handheld screen
More power so that devs don't have to shun the thing
My opinion on these points.

Only a small number of people experienced joycon drift. The vocal minority is overhyping the issue. The main issue here is PR at this point. Nintendo don't want the vocal minority screaming when the Switch 2 is released. People in general love to complain, so giving them less things to complain about is always good. Fixing the issue needs to happen though.

The Switch has 4GB or RAM (ie memory). I think you mean a larger internal SSD. That would be nice but if it just increases the cost of the Switch 2 then I'd be against it. The microSD prices are dropping slowly so a larger one of those would suffice.

1080p screen? Actually I think that's a very good wish and I'd like it too. I don't know if a Switch 2 could pull that off at a good cost point, with good battery life and still be able to have the AAA ports. Though working towards it is something I'd like to see.

More power? Panic button disagree. Project CD Red disagree. Square Enix disagree.
Amazing games have been ported to the Switch. Of cause I do think the Switch 2 needs a better Tegra chip to make the AAA ports better and easier to port to the Switch 2. The power of the Switch has not been complained about that much honestly.
The biggest reason developers shun the Switch is the cost of the carts.
I do want a better CPU just like you do though. I think everyone does, it's a good suggestion, just no one is complaining about this.

My wish list

Cheaper blank 32GB carts.
To give all developers more incentives to use them. Hopefully with a push to eventually have 64GB carts being cheap enough also for developers to want to use.

1080p screen
Sure that might not happen on the Switch 2 but eventually I think that should happen sometime as it's a nice goal to work towards.

More console battery life
However if the specs of the Switch 2 are higher, having a better battery so the battery life stays the same is also ok.

Hardware based backwards compatability for all Switch one games
Obvious and I think everyone would want this. Maybe a performance boost for the older games?

More memory
I'm not sure 4GB of RAM is enough anymore. I think moving to 6GB or 8GB might help. If the cost is low enough.

Faster / better memory
Currently the Switch uses 2x 2GB of LPDDR4 RAM. I think that needs an upgrade to faster and more battery efficient RAM.

Better CPU
The Tegra X2? Something similar to that is what we'll probably get.
The Switch is already the world's most powerful dedicated to gaming mobile console. In many aspects it out performs the stocch OG Xbox One. In other ways it's like a PS3 Pro, with some aspects approaching the OG PS4. Very impressive. I think solidifying this with a more powerful Switch will help a lot.

$300 US price point
This means it'll be around $400 - $450 else around the world. Seeing a $500 price point (or equivalent) anywhere in the the world will kill sales in that region. I am aware this makes the Switch way cheaper in the USA but $#@! happens I guess. I just don't want the rest of the world screwed by the console being too expensive in all the other countries.
PS. I'm aware how the US tax system works, but having the sticker price of $299US needs to happen. Especially with the PS5 and Series X being $400 US at the cheapest, could even be more.

Decent kickstand on the Switch
So we can use the pro controller or sepatate joycon in tabletop mode without having to buy a separate stand for the Switch.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think the idea of a Switch Pro is fine, but I don't think it's going to make much of a difference to games. Developers will always make games with the lowest common denominator--the vanilla Switch--in mind. It wouldn't pay to develop exclusively for stuff like the New 3DS, PS4 Pro, or Xbox One X. They're all fine systems, but make up the minority of console owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom