• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch Joins the 100 Million Hardware Club

With the latest numbers from Nintendo, the Switch has passed 100 million hardware units and outsold both the PS1 and Wii. It's now the 5th best selling games system of all time behind the PS2, DS, Game Boy/Game Boy Color, and PS4.

Well deserved. I'd argue the Switch has the best software library of any Nintendo system ever.

What are your thoughts on this news?

They still haven't even fully explored the possibilities of the switch as a unique piece of hardware. The touch screen and nfc capabilities are not being utilized nearly enough. I think the switch can surpass the Gameboy color if they really push it

Switch will definitely be in third after this year. BotW2 will carry the holidays, if it actually releases this year (fingers crossed), while Splatoon 3 will light up sales in Japan when that drops.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
The more I think about how the PS2 sold over 150 million units, the more my mind refuses to believe that the PS2 sold over 150 million units.

But was anyone really doubting that the switch would sell this well? It’s absolutely gonna outsell the PS4 and Gameboys. Hell, I wouldn’t be too surprised if it managed to eventually beat the DS and PS2. We still got another 3 years, it could happen.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
they struck gold w/ the hybrid concept, which lead to various amounts of ports from super mario 3d all stars, to final fantasy 7 - 12, to even the witcher 3, and the list just goes on and on and on

not to mention its own solid line up of switch developed games, I just wish the hardware wasn't so freaking unreliable and nintendo did regular price drops like the other companies

but yeah, it definitely earned its spot as one of the all time greats

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I think it's nice to see the Switch being so successful, especially considering it's the followup generation to one of the most unsuccessful consoles in history.

Like has been said already, the biggest problems the Switch faces are with hardware quality and cost (given the tech's age at this point).

But I'd also say the Switch will continue to struggle with where the hardware can go from here. The hybrid model is great, but tech standards are leagues beyond what the Switch can offer at the moment. Nintendo will always make games for their hardware regardless of its capabilities (and in spite of said capabilities, as has been seen before), but third-parties won't be so patient or willing to deal with Nintendo if they don't make progress on the tech side of things. That third-party support is just as important as the first-party support is. Time will tell if they actually act on what they need to address.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
But I'd also say the Switch will continue to struggle with where the hardware can go from here. The hybrid model is great, but tech standards are leagues beyond what the Switch can offer at the moment. Nintendo will always make games for their hardware regardless of its capabilities (and in spite of said capabilities, as has been seen before), but third-parties won't be so patient or willing to deal with Nintendo if they don't make progress on the tech side of things. That third-party support is just as important as the first-party support is. Time will tell if they actually act on what they need to address.
oh man that reminds me, I've been playing Ys 9 and frankly, the game doesn't run so hot in terms of framerate, but there's this certain enemy that spews gas for an attack, and I swear to you the framerate goes into the single digits, its painful

you just can't help but wonder how long nintendo can keep this up w/ their current hardware

Oathkeeper95

The Oath of Kinbaku, Tzion, Terra, and Iscariot.
It's about to be 100 million and 1 cause I can't find my frickin switch.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I'm really glad the Switch turned out so well after the failure of the Wii U. It really was going to be an issue for them had it gone poorly since they switched from having two consoles for people to buy (a home console and a handheld) to only a single one but it has clearly paid off this generation.

The games on the Switch are a wonder! Smooth and lovely console for all kinds of games! Totally deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom