• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 68

Monday, 29th September
zlCfzSfhotABeWNli0

For the 3DS version, you can select alternate tracks for stages by holding down the R Button while you select the stage--the brown drop shadow that frames the stage image when you hold down the R Button indicates the alternate track is active. For the Living Room stage, the alternate track is the vocal version of the default track. Songs with vocals aren't the best match for battles, but the song was too good to leave out, so this is how we chose to include it.

zlCfzSfhqT8Q2azgQd

Also, For the Boxing Ring, if you select the stage while holding down the L Button, you can play on the Smash Bros. version of the stage. If you hold down the Y Button, you can choose to play on the Punch Out! version. These variations are usually selected at random, but this method lets you select them manually.

This is the same concept for choosing music as some stages in Melee, however now every stage has alternate music that may play. The method of choosing alternate appearances is familiar, too.

Tuesday, 30th September
zlCfzSfx_783rBrTEn

In the 3DS version, your fighter gets outlined by your team color. So, how does this work in the Wii U version? Check out this screenshot. In this picture, the outlines may seem faint, but the color intensity is consistent. This means that the farther away and smaller your fighter appears on the screen, the clearer the colors will look.

The feature of team outlines has been known to be in the 3DS version for some time, but there was no word on whether the Wii U version would remain restricted to team colours. Worry not, players may choose any colour scheme they desire during team battles in that version also.

Wednesday, 1st October
zlCfzSf4efAVzCPMS9

This is the Orbital Gate stage. This is a Wii U version-exclusive stage reenacting Team Star Fox's defense of the Orbital Gate from an Aparoid missile attack.

zlCfzSf4en8yZqV8K6

Missiles are launched towards the Orbital Gate! The force field shields the machinery for a while, and the missiles eventually get shot down by team Star Fox. Overall, this stage feels like a ride. It's pretty hectic, so hold on tight!

zlCfzSf4esknLZwJxi

The Arwings are passing through the gate! And the fighters hop on for a free ride!!

The Star Fox stage that was teased several months ago gets an official name and details on it. Various ships act as platforms, and they come and go as time passes. The famous Great Fox is the most notable one, and for the first time, it uses the Star Fox: Assault design, instead of that from Lylat Wars.

Thursday, 2nd October
zlCfzSgDckYKXVTn4o

This assist trophy is Sheriff. Sheriff was an arcade game released in 1979. In this game, the players aim by choosing one of eight directions to shoot using a second joystick separate from the one that controls movement. It was quite a revolutionary game for its time. For shooting games overseas, it's common to see games that utilize the left stick to move around and the right to determine the direction to shoot, so we can say the origin of modern shooting games was this game--which is pretty remarkable.

A new Assist Trophy in both the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game. He fires bullets in eight directions, like in his own game. Adding to this history lesson, Sheriff is one of the oldest elements in the game, predating all playable characters including Mr. Game & Watch and Pac-Man. The Color TV-Game 15 (aka. Pong) Assist Trophy is older, however.

Friday, 3rd October
zlCfzSgN6QYOlawsHF

Finally, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is being released overseas. Congratulations!! With the game released globally, from here on out I'll be posting about some of the hidden elements in the game. However, for now they'll only trickle down a little bit at a time. I'll be done with posting new pics by the end of the year, so I hope you'll enjoy the rest of the ride.

EVERYBODY GO BUY SMASH BROTHERS 3DS NOW, NO JOHNS.

The Smash Brothers website has been updated. Characters on the main page are no longer sorted by the descending order they were revealed, but by ascending debut in the series. That is, it begins with Mario and the other SSB64 characters, and ends with the SSB4 newcomers. Additionally, the newcomers have small banners that are the same square shape as veterans.

More notable than this is the inclusion of a new Secret Characters section. This is where all the unlockable characters will be (except Lucina who was revealed with Robin and Captain Falcon in July). So far, it has three veteran characters listed; Ness, Falco and Wario. They each have 10 screenshots on their pages, with 8 on Wii U and 2 on 3DS. This is the first we see of these characters on Wii U, so be sure to check them out.

Also hidden on these pages are retro stages not known to be in the Wii U game until now. The first is Onett, an Earthbound stage that first appeared in Melee and returned in Brawl. The second is Smashville, the Animal Crossing stage that was in Brawl, not to be confused with the new Town & City stage also representing that franchise. You can see the images of these stages below.

screen-1.jpg
screen-5.jpg

screen-7.jpg

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Just played a random match, trying out Palutena, and three of us all died at the same time. Don't think I've ever seen that before, lol.

Is anyone else having problems with massive amounts a lag? Some matches are perfect, but some are almost unplayable with all of the lag.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
This game is so much better than both Melee and Brawl. Every character is good in some way, which is great. Smash Run is fun, and since the game has just released, I'm having a lot of fun testing out custom builds.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U just got a release date. It's November 21st for NA, December 5th for EU, December 6th for AUS/NZ/JAPAN.
[video=youtube;A0XfJJjAY6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0XfJJjAY6c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
How do you all feel about the two week delay for the people outside NA? I don't know what to think about it to be honest. I'm not salty, more disappointed I'd say.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
How do you all feel about the two week delay for the people outside NA? I don't know what to think about it to be honest. I'm not salty, more disappointed I'd say.

It's just so that it can be released in time for Black Friday. If it weren't for Black Friday, I'm sure it would have been released around the same time as the other versions.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member

I'm perfectly fine by the wait. It helps being a patient person, and the Pokemon remakes and New 3DS are coming out the same day. Not to mention Smash 3DS is in our hands already, and I've got plenty of Hyrule Warriors on my plate. Keeping ourselves distracted entertained will be far from difficult.

Sakurai has posted on Miiverse reaffirming the release dates for the Wii U version:

Release dates for the Wii U version have been announced! Along with the first amiibo lineup, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will be released on November 21st in the Americas. In Europe, amiibo will be released on November 28th, while Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will launch on December 5th. In Oceania, amiibo will be released on November 29th, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will launch on December 6th. For more details, check out the official website at www.smashbros.com.

I managed to get some Streetpass hits today and decided to try out Street Smash. Trying to knock pins off a stage is actually pretty fun. It's like one of those mobile games that you should probably spend 2-3 minutes playing at most and, before you know it, over 15 minutes have passed. Hopefully, I can run across more players in the future.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The secret characters Dr. Mario and Dark Pit have pages on the official website now, with screens of them in the Wii U version for the first time.

There's still no special section of the website for the Wii U version like there is for the 3DS version, which is odd considering it first releases in just a month and a half. A lot we don't know regarding exclusive features is hidden from us, and there's only so much that can be put into the daily pics in this time. If Nintendo wants the hype for the majority of people to continue onwards for the Wii U version, they better drop some bombshells in something like a Nintendo Direct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom