• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Luckily, the Mii Fighters are only selectable offline and during online battles with friends.

Thank lord at that fact, I don't think I could handle versing Hitler online. I get enough of that in Mario Kart 8. (seriously, two in the one room)

Palutena has visible cleavage. God damnit Nintendo, stop with this ridiculous over-sexualisation of your female characters! I'm so mad right now!!!!111@#

tumblr_n6yr8dVPXI1rrr564o1_r1_500.gif

You know you want.

It feels as though it's been ages since I've actually been hyped for a game—well, not THAT hype; just sort of. I wish my brother were here to see this, though; he and I together would have completely lost our minds...

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Ok so I went to Best Buy today to try an play.... Yeah that didn't happen. I'm going to try again on Saturday but I don't think that will happen either. So here's the thing. This event is so much larger than the one last year. Like, last year I would have waited like, a couple hours because there was a nice sized crowd, assuming I got there early enough. But the list for both days was full when I got there. Oh well. Someone was nice enough to give me their slot in line. So great of them. Now let me describe the scene today(I would post a picture but they were so uptight about pics and video that there were people everywhere). The line for Smash wrapped around itself 3 times or so, then around the gaming section, then into the camera section and around the home appliances up to the front help desk... THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS GOING TO PLAY. and then there is how it was being run. you got to go through 2 fights. The winners from the 2 fights got to stay there and keep playing. so at most, 3 new people were joining after two 4 minute fights. There had to be at least 100 people in line. 8 minutes a person X 100 people = 800 minutes. Keeping in mind that there are 4 fighters in a match and 2-3 rotate out, at best I would have waited 3 hours, for 8 minutes... maybe a little more.

And like, the line wasn't the worst part. I don't know how it was at other Best Buys but the staff was really uptight about ****. The Nintendo reps, the store staff, all of em. I was standing and looking at 3DS games and someone was like(And he was a staff member) "If you wanna look at smash you gotta get in line buddy." "Oh I'm just looking at 3DS games" In an intimidating tone "Go get in line buddy." so I walked around to where the CD's were and then I looked over to get a glance at Greninja final smash and he was pointing at me(no one else was around me) and saying something to an employee, and then they started walking towards me. Like, the ****. I couldn't even get streetpass because they were breathing down my neck most of the time.

I might go back on Saturday and try to play but the staff make it almost not worth it. Sure I won't get my hands on the game if I don't go and I really the chance of getting my hands on it is pretty low regardless, but the staff. Erg. I'm glad I got to see the game a little and glad I watched the invitational last night at least. That's enough to hold me over until October. And if I get my hands on it early, I might be in agony until it comes out anyway

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
[video=youtube;_1hkSUGgPC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1hkSUGgPC8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The only review that matters. :P

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
although I'm restricted to where I can sit on my couch when it has to stretch from my Wii. At least the new adapter is USB, so it has a longer reach.
That's one of the only reasons they're really nice. and yeah, I don't mind a cord either, it's just not long enough sometimes.
That's why I got GC cord extenders, but the downside- they take away the controller vibration for some weird reason. That can **** you up pretty badly in certain Mario Party Minigames.

I don't know what you mean by 'interchangeable'. What I do know is that there's no cross-platform play, and while there is connection between the two editions, we have not been told what that refers to. At most, I would assume the transmission of data such as certain unlockables.
That's exactly what I meant. I just didn't know how to put it in the best words. :sweat:

Anyway, I just saw a video: [link] That said otherwise... unless I'm mistaken?
(if it wasn't in that one, then it was on here: [link])
Anyway, they were hinting that the games would connect (I think system to system link of some sort)... or am I interpreting that incorrectly?

Last edited:

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
Iowa, or Hell. They're both the same thing.
Hey guys, I was ABLE TO PLAY. On the 3DS version, I tried out Sonic, Toon Link and Mega Man. Wii U characters, Greninja and Villager. Let's start with Greninja, shall we?

- Very fast and fun to play as. His ninja moves are incredible.

- To me, anyway, he doesn't feel like Sheik.

- Water Shuriken charges up by holding the Special button, and automatically gets thrown once fully charged.

- Up B is very similar to Pikachu's.

- Greninja has a Pink and Red color scheme. Kind of hard to distinguish between the two.

- Up Smash is just fun, I love it.

- Strong attacks are a bit lame IMO, just some toungue whipping.

Mega Man:

- I barely played as him, so I didn't get a chance to use all his moves.

- Down Smash is powerful, I love it.

- I wasn't able to use strong attacks. The circle pad needs some tweaking, as just holding to the right starts a dash.

Toon Link:

- Basically the same as Brawl. No problem for me, as I loved him in Brawl. Link's changes differentiate him from TL better.

Villager:

- Dude, fun. All his attacks are hilarious to use.

- Side smash is the bowling ball. I have horrible memory so I forgot about that.

- Up smash, the fireworks, is a bit too weak for my taste. Character had to be at a pretty high percentage to die (I think 110% on Sonic).

- I love Pocket. I picked up a crate with it, and I loved how I could still walk around at normal speed.

- Balloon Fight... I couldn't really test how good this was, as I was in the Boxing Ring.

- Did not get to try out the Tree attack. The matches all last 2 minutes, whereas 3DS you just play until it's your turn on the Wii U.

- Gyroid is fun. Only used it once, though.

Sonic:

- Almost the same moveset. He has some changes that weren't in his reveal trailer, however.

- Side B is less floaty. It kind of just hops and goes down really quickly.

- Down B is the same, though there's this purple aura and smoke when it's fully charged.

- Dash attack. IDK if this happened in Brawl, but it traps people on contact, and ends with two kick attacks, with decent knockback.

- Down smash is NO LONGER THAT SPIN THING. Now, it's a split kick, very similar to Fox's.

- Taunts are the same, but he no longer says "YOU'RE TOO SLOW". :'[

General:

- All characters from previous games, barring Fox, seem to lack their Dark colors. Like, no Dark Link or Shadow Link, no Dark Zelda, no Dark Pit. Link has a purple color which I adore.

- All the voices seem to be taken from other games (like, no newly recorded voices, except for MAYBE Rosalina). Since this is a demo, I expected this. Pit's Up B sound is definitely too aggressive for just flying (it's like this, "GRYAHHH" kinda sound). All of Sonic's sounds are taken from Free Riders, Colors and Generations, it seems. Kirby has a lot of new voice clips, though. Pit and Kirby seemed to be the only characters who grunted the second they got hit, ala Melee.

- Pokémon are awesome. I got a Darkrai, Abomasnow, Arceus and Fletchling. Darkrai shoots a dark orb at people from afar to make them fall asleep. I think it does a bit of damage. Abomasnow uses this icy wind stuff, and a charge that causes people to get frozen. Arceus is the same in the video. Fletchling is USELESS. I swear. XDD

- That pre-evolved Vivillion thing was there too. It stuns you, but not like, Mewtwo's confusion stun, but like, MAJOR hitstun... stun.

- Still dunno what Xerneas does. It made a glowing aura around someone playing as ZSS, but she never landed a hit during that phase.

- A professional Olimar player was there. I think his name was Matthew. He's American/Canadian, but he says he was in Japan, which is where he fought in tournaments. He had a shirt saying "Best Olimar player 2011-2014 something something". I didn't see him on Smash Wiki though.

- I got an awesome SSB badge/button/pin thing and some stickers. :DDD

I think that covers about everything I experienced. :D

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
@Linkdude74 and ShadowDiety

Damn, guys, that sucks. You could try again on Saturday, but it would probably end up worse off considering it'd be more busy on a weekend. Some people would be there for second doses, even...

@Mercedes

Love that video. Conan may be clueless, but at least he's hilarious.

@Akuhime-sama

We didn't learn anything about connection between the two games in the Smash Brothers Direct in April, which is the first video you linked. We were then told we would hear about the features at a later date, so yes, they do exist. Now, all we know regarding any sort of compatibility is that the amiibo figurines you have can be used for both versions, meaning you can save the modifications and use them on 3DS and Wii U without hassle. (and wow, does that YouTube channel literally only exist to repost videos from other channels?)

@itsameluigi1290

It's great to hear you had a good time. I read that no character had a full set of alternative colour schemes, so it's not hard to imagine they'll add more later. Dark Link seems so obvious and was awesome in Brawl I'd be disappointed if they left it out.

I heard Pit's Power of Flight (Up Special) vocal noise, and yes, it's ridiculous. xD Proper voice acting is far from the most important thing to have in a demo, however. Like colour schemes, I believe they'll refine it later. Dat announcer, though. Pretty cool.

Fletchling was teased in the FMV portion of Charizard's and Greninja's trailer in April, it's no surprise to have it as a Pokeball Pokemon. Abomasnow was never even hinted at previously as far as I know, that's good to see in action. Vivillion's preevolution is Spewpa, and we only saw it in one prior screenshot, so again, good to see.

To recap the day, it wasn't as eventful as yesterday, but people were still able to have fun with both Smash Wii U and Smash 3DS. Most notable of all, the second Nintendo Treehouse that took place in the morning spent some time with both titles. There's two for the Wii U title, and one for 3DS, which is entirely dedicated to Smash Run. Some competitors of the Invitational Tournament rock up, watch it if you want to see more pros in action. All three videos can be found below.

[video=youtube;CtR6Jx_Dlu8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtR6Jx_Dlu8[/video]

[video=youtube;ST2DQMwqpWk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST2DQMwqpWk[/video]

[video=youtube;MpO3vip5FLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpO3vip5FLY[/video]
If that's not enough demo footage for you, YouTube is scattered with all sorts of off-screen capturing of others playing. Elements such as Final Smashes, PokeBall Pokemon and Assist Trophies are being seen for the first time left and right, keep a careful eye out.

Nintendo has released a video of the roundtable where Pac-Man was revealed. Check it out here. Sakurai additionally talks about character customisation, amiibo features, and Smash Run.

As always, here is the pic of the day:

Pic of the day.
The goddess is up to bat for the Home-run Contest, a returning mini-game on the 3DS version! It's been streamlined with added features here and there, like sturdier glass and doubled speed for long hits. You can also have fun comparing your rankings for this mini-game with your Global Smash Power.

zlCfzSCdJ0QMoOMbck

Home-Run Contest flashed on-screen for hardly one second in the Digital Event before; it's good to have a screenshot showcasing it. The mode debuted in Melee and returned in Brawl, where the glass case for the first several seconds was introduced, and now it has seen further refinements.

The third and final Nintendo Treehouse livestream begins in two hours from this posting, and runs for seven-and-a-half hours from there. You can view it here during that time. Enjoy the remainder of E3 while it lasts, folks.

Last edited:

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
@Akuhime-sama

We didn't learn anything about connection between the two games in the Smash Brothers Direct in April, which is the first video you linked. We were then told we would hear about the features at a later date, so yes, they do exist. Now, all we know regarding any sort of compatibility is that the amiibo figurines you have can be used for both versions, meaning you can save the modifications and use them on 3DS and Wii U without hassle. (and wow, does that YouTube channel literally only exist to repost videos from other channels?)
Oh... Yeah, I just kind of found it just now xD
But ah, okay. I guess I just misunderstood it....

But that idea of figurines seems nice. I'd really like to get a Greninja one. (Just to have)

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I hope you all enjoyed E3. In the final Nintendo Treehouse broadcast, both of the new Smash Brothers games were played again. Great watch, as before. They are embedded below.

[video=youtube;1XZF3Oz6IUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZF3Oz6IUA[/video]

[video=youtube;PW3TvdPC97E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW3TvdPC97E[/video]
As there is not much else to speak of, let's get a look at today's pic:

Pic of the day.
This is quite a line-up of characters for the gaming world. I mean, it's amazing enough that Mario can fight Pikachu. I hope you enjoy this truly unique celebration!!

zlCfzSCqgRoNzlmoU0

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Well, you can't say they don't have a varied roster, that's for sure. ;)

I want to see what Kirby looks like when he swallows Pac-Man!

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That has just made my day! :P Well played, Nintendo, well played, consider your game pre-ordered!

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Kirby is not very happy with his present, is he? It's not even wrapped! Bad show, Pac-Man, you at least wrap the presents before giving them. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom