• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
incompetence, thy name is curmudgeon

00cab8539a.jpg

5ea1f8e173.jpg

b8c2ecb001.jpg

Don't be fooled by game 8. I picked up a well-timed Donkey Kong hammer with about 15 seconds left. Getting really tired not being able to perform what are supposed to be c-stick attacks (the circle pad is killing me) or actually landing them on opponents with 150% damage and watching them recover. Seems like anything good that happens is the result of blind luck.

I also tried a few games with lv.9 cpu and only hit things by accident.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Don't be fooled by game 8. I picked up a well-timed Donkey Kong hammer with about 15 seconds left. Getting really tired not being able to perform what are supposed to be c-stick attacks (the circle pad is killing me) or actually landing them on opponents with 150% damage and watching them recover. Seems like anything good that happens is the result of blind luck.

I also tried a few games with lv.9 cpu and only hit things by accident.
the circle pad isn't going to work on this game for c sticks because it isn't fast enough. the range you have to hit on the circle pad is too far for quick attacks to come out. that is why people report they have nbroken there circle pads.

and in these game the KO box is very small which means you have to knock them further away in order to get a kill

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 66

Monday, 15th September
zlCfzScfilUBnhSDdM

Now that the game is out in Japan, the Conquest mode will be available in online multiplayer in the Japanese version. This is what the title screen will look like for the overseas version. In this mode, the game aggregates global wins among specific teams during a limited time and determines the victor. If you choose a participating fighter from the With Anyone option, you'll automatically participate in Conquest. We'll be running Conquest in beta for a while.

Also, Conquest data where players seem to be losing on purpose will be removed from the calculations. And lastly, there's no point in working on this mode too much on your own, so don't overdo it…

The first update available for the game adds this new mode. Particular characters are assigned to teams and winning online games with those characters boosts the score of that team.

Tuesday, 16th September
zlCfzSco0EsUU-Aumh

These two are a haunting pair. You can only attack Gastly using items, but the Ghost has a perfect guard and reflects your attacks. When you see a Ghost, make sure you use your grab. If you're playing with Diddy Kong, his Monkey Flip should work, too.

Two special Smash Run enemies. The Ghost comes from the Find Mii game in the StreetPass Plaza application on 3DS, and Gastly is a Ghost/Poison type Pokemon first appearing in the first generation of Pokemon games on Gameboy.

Wednesday, 17th September
zlCfzSc1BdAGrlxJDu

Here's a glimpse of StreetSmash. Make sure to set this up once you get the game. The more fighters you play against at once, the more loot you can earn.

StreetSmash is the StreetPass functionality this game supports. A tabletop edition of Smash is played with simple controls as a bumper-like object. There is a practice mode open, however rewards are lesser in number.

Thursday, 18th September
zlCfzSdAfjMOI_gs25

We've improved the Fighter Records window to make it easier to browse through. I'm assuming you'll be building up your records fast once you start playing the game.

The records section now features handy graphs for the ease of viewing all the information together. You can isolate the data to just Local or Online matches, or Smash Run battles.

Friday, 19th September
zlCfzSdK4fELbLcjHV

Well, I'd better post some pictures from the Wii U version once in a while, right? We've brought back the Castle Siege stage from Fire Emblem!

zlCfzSdK4lwvLIPwt0

Most of the games in the Fire Emblem series have a different unique setting and have fields without much height, so it was hard to narrow down what venues to focus on. Castle Siege and Colosseum are two stages that aren't exclusive to specific games in the franchise.

Castle Siege is the Fire Emblem stage in Brawl, and the only one representing that series prior to SSB4. The stage has three phases it transforms between, the first two of which are seen here; the third is a cavern underground.

This is the second returning stage known to be in Smash Brothers Wii U. The only other so far is Halberd, also from Brawl.

Curmudgeon

i think the universe is trying to tell me something...

This is completely pointless
b5417628f8.jpg

f04dad224c.jpg

50+ games in between this set and the last set of pictures, virtually no signs of improvement. i'll just go back to pokemon breeding now.

Curmudgeon

this may be the incompetence speaking, but I cannot seem to get reliable KOs beneath practically sudden death damage levels with anything but pikachu's up + A. this makes me want to break things because 1) it has basically no range 2) it's apparently really easy to dodge 3) even when i do connect, it fails to work reliably and 4) my fat neanderthal thumb and the circle pad apparently make it impossible to execute reliably and I end up jumping, during which time someone else gets the KO. 5) the circle pad can crawl in a hole filled with irradiated acid and die. apparently i'm too stupid to play this game and it makes me irrationally angry.

i'm too weak-willed to stop playing so i'd rather not be terrible. suggestions?

Last edited:

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I would say two of Pikachu's best moves, in my opinion, are his Smash Down (Down A) where he does his electric spin (great way to rack up damage), and a reliable kill move would be your Side Smash (side direction and A) where he does that little thunder bolt out in front of him. Both can be done rather quickly, and that Side smash has some solid knock back for kills.

Up moves on the demo are some what frustrating to do because it does, as you said, normally makes you jump. The real game will have an option to turn this off so that only X and Y jump. Makes the control situation a lot easier.

I don't nomally use Pikachu, but these are things I've noticed facing him. Spamming that Down Smash does some great great damage, and another possible kill move (though slow and usually easy to dodge) would be his side B for his Skullbash. Hopefully this helps at least a little :)

Curmudgeon

I would say two of Pikachu's best moves, in my opinion, are his Smash Down (Down A) where he does his electric spin (great way to rack up damage), and a reliable kill move would be your Side Smash (side direction and A) where he does that little thunder bolt out in front of him. Both can be done rather quickly, and that Side smash has some solid knock back for kills.

Yeah, part of my frustration is that in Brawl, these attacks worked. I love the down smash for other reasons, but I've never gotten a KO from either of those attacks below about 180%, where with the up smash, It's possible past 90% and pretty reliable past 140%

Up moves on the demo are some what frustrating to do because it does, as you said, normally makes you jump. The real game will have an option to turn this off so that only X and Y jump. Makes the control situation a lot easier.

I may have squeaked

I don't nomally use Pikachu, but these are things I've noticed facing him. Spamming that Down Smash does some great great damage, and another possible kill move (though slow and usually easy to dodge) would be his side B for his Skullbash.

i mostly use the skull bash for recovery, but i have had some success using it as a finisher against low-level cpu opponents. what would actually help a lot is if i could use quick attack offensively. the few times i've pulled it off, it's easier to pull off finishers or other moves when you just suddenly appear at their feet.

Hopefully this helps at least a little :)
it does. if nothing else, it at least confirms that i wasn't totally off-base with my strategy.

I'm not sure how others feel as I haven't skimmed through the thread recently, but I am having a hard time performing maneuvers that require the L and R buttons. I suppose it's because no other 3DS gameI've played has made extensive use of them. It'll definitely take me a bit longer to get used to the controls.

All of the characters play well except for Mega Man who feels incredibly clunky. I'll need quite a bit longer to accustom myself to his standard and smash attacks.

D

Deleted member 14134

The IGN review for smash is up. Got an 8.8. Guess Nintendo has added paying off reviewers to their shady practices.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 67

Monday, 22nd September
zlCfzSd8cnsBPFb_Yt

Here are the results for Conquest mode for players in Japan that are playing the Japanese 3DS version. Their next challenge is to battle each other with fighters they've trained up and fighters made of metal!!

The conquest online mode was introduced in an update released last Monday. You can tell from this Pie Chart that more people playing as Shulk in Online With Anyone have been winning matches compared Marth.

Tuesday, 23rd September
zlCfzSeKZQ0cV-Eenb

Master Hand's glove rips open, and a mysterious substance we're calling the swarm, er, swarms out. The amount of this substance determines the shape of your final opponent, and you will have to launch it away in small clusters at a time. The higher your intensity, the denser the substance will be.

When playing at a high enough intensity, the Master Core appears out of Master Hand during the battle against him and Crazy Hand. The Master Core has various phases, consisting of a humanoid shape, scorpion, swords, and the shape of the character being played.

Wednesday, 24th September
zlCfzSeXgWUhGA07O5

PAC-MAN makes an appearance on the PictoChat 2 stage. We've included this as an element from Pac-Pix, which was released in 2005. It was quite revolutionary.

zlCfzSeXgcw9VUO3WQ

There are a lot of new elements in the PictoChat 2 stage. In this screenshot, it looks like there is depth to the stage...or like there isn't. The illusory nature of the drawing is meant to challenge your perspective.

The PictoChat stage from Brawl gets a successor, just as some previous stages have in previous games, like Pokemon Stadium and FlatZone. PictoChat 2 has different drawings from the original stage, but it has the same music.

Thursday, 25th September
zlCfzSejVEg5tMK8Ud

We've prepared many hats for Mii Fighters...but a lot of them are humorously designed, so it might be hard to coordinate them with flair. You could, of course, choose to not wear the hats at all... It makes me wonder--how is everyone planning to dress up their Mii Fighters? Well, one thing is for sure: the ninja headband worn by the Mii in front should look good with anything.

All three classes of Mii Fighters have costumes and hats that fit themes, such as the Ninja in this post here.

Friday, 26th September
zlCfzSeucEQrJedykq

Here's a stage exclusive to the Wii U version: Gamer. Don't let Mom find you while you're duking it out!!

zlCfzSeucN4V4xSoxU

If Mom does spot you, she'll scold you and blow you away!! ...I've never seen a fighting action game as chaotic as this one.

Gamer is the title of a minigame in Game & Wario on Wii U. In it, the player needed to play microgames on the Gamepad while avoiding sight of 5-volt, the mother. Here, fighers battle on a desk where the Bed used to be, and can hide from the same mother character in the shadows of the books, or they will be blasted away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom