• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Fig

The Altruist
If we don't have Sceptile, I'm gonna be pissed. We need a Grass-type starter, and who better than the one for the upcoming Hoenn remakes!?

Again, as I stated before, the only good thing that can come out of Sceptile is that the fact that he would be representing Gen III but that's it. You can't use the reason of Sceptile completing this "elemental trinity" just because he is a Grass Starter while Charizard is Fire and Greninja is Water. Their reasons for being picked are more than just being being Fire and Water. Besides, we don't know if this "elemental trinity" even matters to Sakurai at all because he we didn't have a Grass, Fire, and Water Pokémon playable in N64 Smash and Melee. The only reason why it happened in Brawl as because the Pokémon Trainer was a special case. Besides, Sakurai never had a slot for a Gen III Pokémon so why would he have one now? Why make the time to now make room for a Gen III Pokémon when Gen V is more recent and still doesn't have much representation roster-wise. Again, the reasons for Sceptile's inclusion are a bit much of a stretch so I wouldn't be surprised if Sceptile doesn't become a playable character in this iteration of Smash Bros.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I thought Blazekein with his new mega would have made a cool addition, but Greninja is pretty neat, so I wasn't really that bothered by it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Again, as I stated before, the only good thing that can come out of Sceptile is that the fact that he would be representing Gen III but that's it.

Except we would have an awesome new addition to the series? Seriously, imagine how unique of a fighter Sceptile could be, and think of how fitting it is given the current situation -- Gen III remakes + Mega Sceptile. He's never been more relevant for being a newcomer to Smash. Even if he has to be DLC, he deserves a slot at this point.

You can't use the reason of Sceptile completing this "elemental trinity" just because he is a Grass Starter while Charizard is Fire and Greninja is Water. Their reasons for being picked are more than just being being Fire and Water.

I'm aware, but having just Fire & Water feels incomplete, especially after Brawl.

Besides, we don't know if this "elemental trinity" even matters to Sakurai at all because he we didn't have a Grass, Fire, and Water Pokémon playable in N64 Smash and Melee. The only reason why it happened in Brawl as because the Pokémon Trainer was a special case.

First off, a lot of things weren't in 64 & Melee, so that's a fallacy of an argument. Second, it still happened in Brawl, so abandoning it would be a very odd move.

Besides, Sakurai never had a slot for a Gen III Pokémon so why would he have one now?

Again, fallacy, because he never had a slot for a lot of characters before. How many of Smash 4's newcomers are from franchises that never had reps in the series before? How many have come along across the series' lifetime? Seriously, "it hasn't been done before" isn't a reason for anything.

Why make the time to now make room for a Gen III Pokémon when Gen V is more recent and still doesn't have much representation roster-wise.

What does that even matter? Gen III is more relevant at this point because of the remakes.

Do you just... have something AGAINST Sceptile?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
If we don't have Sceptile, I'm gonna be pissed. We need a Grass-type starter, and who better than the one for the upcoming Hoenn remakes!?

I wouldn't immediately oppose Sceptile, however saying we outright "need" it or any other newcomer Pokemon is a great overstatement, especially after having already received Greninja. I'm not going to be sarcastically pedantic and say that nobody is technically required for the game to exist, but I recommend you don't get too attached to the idea and be "pissed" if it doesn't happen. The concept of the "elemental trinity" counting as something in support sounds like false security.

A couple of quick updates. Two tracks have been put on the official site, this time it's Theme from Area 6 / Missile Slipstream from Lylat Wars / Star Fox Command and Wrath of the Reset Bomb from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Next up is a small gallery on imgur of the 12 launch amiibos in high quality. They have been available for pre-order on Amazon since the weekend.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
...I recommend you don't get too attached to the idea and be "pissed" if it doesn't happen. The concept of the "elemental trinity" counting as something in support sounds like false security.

People really don't seem to understand the concept of hyperbole.

New Shulk scans:

I have a feeling Shulk is going to create a trio of mains for me alongside Marth & Greninja.

No Mother Characters in Smash Bros???!!! :C

With Smash Bros. nearing it's release date if the last of the characters should be getting revealed in the weeks to come. But to my dismay I noticed one franchise, a franchise that I really love missing. Earthbound. No Ness, no Lucas, not even Ninten has been announced for Smash Bros. and it's making me a little worried:sad: Do you guys think that Earthbound will be cut from the new Smash Bros. games? Cause I hope they don't!

Ness is bound to be in the next Super Smash Bros. He is one of the original 4 hidden Characters and has been in every Smash Bros. to date. I'm not too sure about Lucas returning, but Ness is a guarantee.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
People really don't seem to understand the concept of hyperbole.

No, I get it. Regardless of exaggeration for humour, the advice is valid; don't get attached to the idea of certain characters, no good can come from it.

Thanks for posting some scans. Here's the page on character customisation and the soundtrack:

page179translate.jpg

One page is on 3DS modes, and two others recap the currently known roster.

dy6783.jpg

page176translated.jpg

page177translated1.jpg

and just for the sake of completion, the introduction page:

page173translate.jpg

Next week's issue of Famitsu will have over 100 pages on Smash Brothers 3DS, so look forward to that.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Week 64

Monday, 1st September
zlCfzSZMlGk5hFocRp

The legendary hero Riki appears as an Assist Trophy and in Shulk's Final Smash!! As an Assist Trophy, he uses many arts like Happy Happy, Freezinate, and Yoink! He sounds a bit like Tingle... but don't worry, Tingle will make an appearance too. By the way, a cursor will appear above Assist Trophies and Pokemon to indicate which fighter is its ally. Now you can tell right off the bat who it belongs to!!
Riki is a member of Shulk's party in Xenoblade Chronicles. As mentioned, he does a random act when summoned as an Assist Trophy, similar to Tingle, who is returning in the same role as Brawl.

Tuesday, 2nd September
zlCfzSZeToEgud9Pf2

This time, you can challenge every fighter in All-Star Mode from the moment you turn on the game!! This is a survival battle with limited recovery items and no option to continue. However, this mode will be incomplete until you've unlocked every fighter... Until then, you can only play against characters that are already available. This is a picture of the bottom-screen menu, with a padlock indicating that the mode is still incomplete.

zlCfzSZeT-szeYT5eT

In these battles, multiple opponents appear in one stage, and you clear the battle by defeating a number of them. The rest area that appears between battles displays the next opponents and the year the characters made their first appearances, and it also holds recovery items and an occasional reward. The characters you fight against appear pretty much in chronological order. Behold, the history of Nintendo games!!
All-Star Mode now orders the characters by their specific debut, instead of by the series as it did in the previous game. The mode no longer needs to be unlocked, which would have been done once all characters were available, as with Melee and Brawl. It will remain incomplete until then, however. The option to continue once KO'd by paying in-game currency has been removed, as well.

The rest area used to only contain three special Heart Containers that would heal full life (instead of the usual 100% damage as in regular gameplay), but it now contains at least a Maxim Tomato (that heals 50%) and a Fairy Bottle (heals 100%, but only once the player has reached at least 100% damage).

Wednesday, 3rd September
zlCfzSZrv4w9Hxp6kh

Until now, you were only able to choose from four, or sometimes five or six colors for each character. This time, though, all characters have eight colors to choose from! The first four color schemes for Samus are based off her Varia Suit, Fusion Suit, Gravity Suit from Super Metroid, and the Dark Suit.

zlCfzSZrv_c3LVV6jP

...And here she is in the color schemes of the Gravity Suit from Metroid Prime, Green Samus (a regular in the Smash series), the Light Suit, and Dark Samus. A total of eight colors.

zlCfzSZrwHo3UdAbWs

You can choose between four male and four female Villagers to play with. The designs for their faces and clothes are different. And here are the four Villagers we haven't shown you yet.
No character in Brawl had more than six alternatives, except Wario, who had a unique second costume with its own set of palette swaps. Here we see Samus has two new colours she did not previously. The first is inspired by Dark Samus from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and the second is based on the Light Suit from the former game, first revealed in a daily pic from earlier this year.

With the rest of the Villager's alternatives shown off in this post along with Samus', the two characters now have a known full set of costumes. Other characters with a high number of known existing colour schemes are Link, Kirby, Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus, with six each.

Thursday, 4th September
zlCfzSZ4K7I8AFQ1sc

Here's one of the final battles in Smash Run, called "Run!" As you'd expect, it involves you dashing toward the finish line. In general, the fighters who are fast by default, equipped with speed-boosting equipment, and powered-up with speed boosts over the course of that Smash Run will have the advantage. However, speed isn't the only factor that will determine who will be victorious...

zlCfzSZ4LH0uXOyniu

Those red things in the picture are called danger zones, and if you touch one, you'll get penalized by respawning farther back in the stage!! The danger zones disappear after someone else touches them, so fighters following those in the lead will have an advantage. You can still find speed boosts throughout the stage, so it'll be a heated battle 'till the end!!

zlCfzSZ4LP0OH3B_tz

Here's another final battle called "Climb!" Obviously, those that can jump or fly higher will have the advantage, but they also have to avoid the danger zones!! It gets pretty challenging if you've boosted your speed too much, as well. Everyone really gets into this when playing multiplayer.
These are two unique final battles for Smash Run, as others are matches done on regular stages in sometimes unique conditions, in the nature of the Special Melee and Special Brawl modes of old. As the final battle is randomised, players will not know whether to favour getting speed and jump power-ups to make these explained races easier, or go for attack and defense enhancers that will increase to chances of winning Special Smash games.

Friday, 5th September
zlCfzSaDrTA3dB5hkX

So what is this Games & More option in the menu? I assume that some people may use this mode the most.

zlCfzSaDrYUZhfGlS7

This is what you see after you click on Games & More. There are many modes to choose from. There's the Options button, too.

zlCfzSaDri4O7kudQq

Futhermore, this is what the screen looks like after you click on Solo. In the Stadium, you can find the Home-Run Contest, various Multi-Man Smash challenges, and Target Blast!
Diving deeper into menus. Next week is the last set of daily pics before Smash Brothers 3DS comes out in Japan. The game releases there next Saturday (on the 13th of September), and there are only five standard pics of the day until then. There is still a three week wait after that for the game to go international, however we're rapidly approaching what will be information galore for all of us.

Again, two new musical pieces are on the official site. Super Mario 3D Land Theme / Beach Theme from Super Mario 3D Land / Super Mario Bros. and Tomodachi Life from Tomodachi Life.

A small guidebook for Smash Brothers 3DS is being distributed in Japan, and a few new pieces of information are inside. There's an explanation for the tabletop minigame first seen in the E3 trailer, which is for StreetPass. Short messages can be assigned to taunts for when playing with friends online, like in Brawl. Some Assist Trophies are shown to be in the 3DS version for the first time, including Dr. Kawashima and Ghirahim. Several pages towards the end are dedicated to playable characters and their special moves, including the Final Smash for each. Most notable in this section, King Dedede has a new Final Smash. All revealed characters bar Lucina are here, and this is speculated to be the starting roster, as the same lineup is present in a screenshot released on the 3DS eShop in Japan.

You can find photographs of each page here. Excuse the overall quality for now; proficient translations and actual scans may come later.

Last edited:
The Villager seems guilty of substance abuse....

I'm really digging the changes to All-Star mode. A chronological depiction of Nintendo through the ages seems to be the smartest direction to take in paying homage to the company's legacy. I do have to ask how All-Star mode being unlocked from the start affects trophy earning for the mode. I assume only completing the mode once every character is unlocked actually grants a trophy.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
A demo of the retail version of Smash Brothers 3DS is available to play in Japan, and a lot of new information is being shared. Smashboards is lagging and crashing as it's being put there. An impressions thread is being maintained on NeoGAF here, and I suggest you check the main post. It's formatted only in dot points, however, with some duplicated information. Images are sporadic due to photography being prohibited.

All revealed characters are playable except Lucina, and most known stages are available.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
D1 is pleased by this news -- as am I.

5c9.png

SPOILERS BELOW, BEWARE!!

b7b.jpg
This image all but confirms the roster leak. The order is the same, Fox has the reported Wolf-like alt, and Pit's dark outfit isn't Dark Pit -- ergo Wolf deconfirmed, Dark Pit confirmed, perfectly in-line with the leak.

fdc.jpg
This image shows off the special alts reported in the NeoGAF thread, namely Fierce Deity Link and Pikmin & Alph. Diddy also retains his Dixie coloring, and Rosalina has her sexy Fire outfit.

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/508975928773332992

A NicoNico livestream on Smash Brothers 3DS is airing this Friday at 7pm (in Japan time). The game releases there the next day, so this will likely be the last official event before we drown in information shared by users hours later.

If you followed Hyrule Warriors hype, you should be familiar with the format of the stream. It is only aired on their website and is not dubbed or subtitled in other languages, so for most of us, it is only good for footage. Whether it will be new content or reiteration of stuff we know remains to be seen. Are you feeling lucky?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom