• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for DS?

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
I am a big fan of Super Smash Brothers. There's been one for all of the Nintendo home consoles since the Nintendo64. But there needs to be one for the DS. Am I right!

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
Let me try to explain it:
A: Normal Attack and charge attacks with the d-pad or with L and R and X and Y
B: Smash Attack and smash attack with the D-pad or L,R,X,and Y
D-Pad: Moving
Start: Pause
Select: Final Smash

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I believe it could work. If the DS could just up it's anti a little. That's something that sounds like fun when you have to spend a lot of time away from your home system. But I don't think it would sell. People would think "Why get that, when I can just get the console?"

Diablo

King of Redeads
I think that this would be pretty fun for the ds. Maybe they could only use characters from handheld games.

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
First of all, handhelds have been primarily single player usage. SSB isn't all that deep when playing one player. The stories have been less than interesting and there's not a lot to do. The only way to have multiplayer is through wireless. Most people don't carry their DSs everywhere they go so it's unlikely that you'll go over to your friend's house and both just happen to have their DS and SSB games on them. The SSB series isn't very good at having fully-functional long distance online capabilities either.

Plus, the screen is too small to actually see things from far away, especially things like stickers or pokeballs and other small objects. There's also not enough data capabilities for handhelds, and the character roster, stages, weapons and features would take a huge cut, instead of gaining new ones. For example: Every Mario Party keeps coming out with more and more characters. MP 8 had I think about 16 characters. The next game to come out after that was Mario Party DS and that game only had 8 characters. SSB is probably the only game (IMO) where quantity is often better than quality, and a DS just can't handle that and would make it way smaller with less variety.

I have thought of this before, on several ocassions. However, after really thinking about it, I believe that the controls wouldn't be too hard for some, but it would be hard for others. I wouldn't be able to get used to the jumping thing for a long time, due to the fact that I use a classic controller. A classic controller uses a completely seperate button for jumping than the analog sticks (I have no idea about other controlls). Therefore, even if it die, I wouldn't really buy the game.

Following what Ember Incubus said, I'm sure that the Final Smash would probably be considered again for the next Super Smash Bros. game. Although, if it didn't make another appearance, it wouldn't be a big loss for the series in my opinion. It wouldn't be a big loss because I usually have all items switched off for everything except having friends around for brawling and on the single player mode games, so the SSE Classic, All Star Mode...etc.

Another reason for not making a Super Smash Bros. onto the DS is that the DS has an extremely small screen. Thus making it extremely hard to see small items such as Bombs, stickers, trophies and Pokeballs...etc. The screen would have to be even bigger than that of the DS-i XL if Nintendo did decide that they wanted to release such a game for the DS. So I think that it would make everyone have to buy an even larger DS, causing great loses made by the game.

The final point being as someone else said, the DS has not got the greatest memory, therefore a lot of characters would have to be dropped along with many items, stages and game modes. I think the only way they would be able to is to remake the original Super Sash Bros. onto the DS, as that game was very small in comparison of the newer versions. I also agree with what the same poster said that Super Smash Bros. is a game in which quantity is just as important as quality.

I don't agree that it would only allow for single player battling for a majority of the time though, as I'd find that if you took you DS to your friends houses and such, they would be likely to have their DS and game with them, thus letting you battle. If you wanted to have more people playing you could ask for several friends to come around to your house, which would let you battle against 3 others. However, most people would just see the main console Super Smash Bros. games to be a better choice, and wouldn't bother with the DS version.

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
As much as I'd like to see this, I'm doubting if it could work. Stuff like the controls, memory of the DS,and the DS itself would be problematic. The later Smash games like Brawl have so many items, modes and characters that if they were to do a new Smash game on the DS, they wouldn't be able to fit it all. Remaking SSB for the DS could be a possibility, either that or a game of its size.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I think it would work, I mean there's already a Smash Bros for DS, it's called "JUMP: Super Stars" Yeah, it's anime characters, but it works, so why wouldn't Smash Bros in the DS work? Super Mario 64 and Kart worked, Zelda and Metroid worked, Final Fantasy and other games like such work, so why wouldn't Smash work? Think about it.

I was talking with some of the other staff members about Super Smash Bros, and Steve said that there wasn't going to be another Super Smash Bros game and that the big man behind the series didn't even want Brawl to be made.

However, when I first saw the 3DS I was thinking about some games that would be perfect for the system, among those was Super Smash Bros. If they do make a 3DS Super Smash Bros game, I think they should take it away from the console Smash Bros and make it different, perhaps more gimmicky characters or straying away from Nintendo characters a bit more and have like Megaman or someone. Stage Creator and other stupid gimmicks they had in SSBB they should just remove altogether. With the DS's Wi-Fi which I think in almost all cases runs perfectly, this Smash Bros game would be amazing for the system, but again, I don't think they're planning on making a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom