• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Paper Mario?

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door is arguably the best game I've ever played. It was a true story, and the Train sequence remains my favorite level in a video game rivaled only by the last level in the original portal. It was an improvement on the original game, but I never actually played Super Paper Mario. Is it near as good as TTYD?

Well if you liked the RPG battle system (like me) then you will be surprised what the gameplay in Super paper Mario is like, but Its still a good game, it has very funny moments at times, and if you are a Paper Mario fan....To get to the point...you'll like it. Sorry I didn't really give a real review. But get it in the end its a good game.:)

Super Paper Mario is a good game but its not as good as the other Paper Marios in my opinion. I haven't played TTYD in a long time so my memory is kinda blurry but I remember having more fun with TTYD than SPM. SPM is way too easy but the gameplay was pretty neat. I prefer the turn-based style gameplay more but you should pick up SPM, it is a very good game.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Personally, I didn't care much for Super Paper Mario. I thought it would be great since the first 2 were incredible. With that said it's tolerable, but I had a hard time trying to keep myself playing it all the way to the end.

Super Paper Mario is a good game,but its NOTHING compare to the 2 others,there are no epic moments like the Train event or the tournament from Paper Mario GC or the Tubba Blubba chapter from the N64,there's nothing really awazing about this game and its a shame since the prequels were outstanding.To me,Super Paper Mario is a good game to kill time.

Edit:Boss fights really suck in Super Paper Mario,they are way too short and easy.

Last edited:

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Super Paper Mario is does not have a turn-based fighting system, which is a big turn-off for me. The game is pretty easy compared to the other two (but still moderately hard for a Mario game, in my opinion). But I played it due to my intense love of Paper Mario (series). If you want to play a true 2.5D game, this is your game. You have to switch between a 2D, side-scrolling environment, and a 3D environment to solve puzzles. Another plus, we get to play as Bowser!!!! So is it as good as TTYD, no, but it still is a great game.

And of the three Paper Mario games so far, Super Paper Mario has the best plot by far.

David

But you called me here...
As my friends and I describe it, Super Paper Mario is a good Mario game, but it isn't a Paper Mario game. The mechanics are not what we've come to expect from a Paper Mario game. However, they took the "Paper" aspect of the game to a very appreciated level of awesomeness. The game is great, and certainly a lot of fun to play. However, if you are expecting it to be like The Thousand Year Door, you need to get that out of your head. The dialog is very clever and extremely funny, and the game is a ton of fun to play.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
If you want some laugh and just a fun time you should play it but it is not better than the other two games. I liked the game but thought it was a bit cheesy. For a more epical feeling I recommend the other two

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I haven't played either Super Paper Mario nor Thousand-Year Door in a while, so my recollections are pretty vague (especially with SPM). Please, bear with me.

As many have mentioned above, the likehood of SPM coming off as disappointing is higher if you expect a real follow up to TYD, but that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just good in a different way. The battle system is one of those things that might end up being a turn-off if you expect one that requires as much timing and reflexes as TYD's system did; in all truth, I don't remember using many items other than just the ocassional mushrooms and syrups along the way, and that was mainly because of special skill abuse or clumsy slip ups. The mix between real-time battle and the fact that enemy health points in Paper Mario have never reached absurdly high numbers (unlike many other RPGs I've played) lend themselves to make even the boss fights pretty easy. You must get it by now.

If you want some advice: I think it's better to see it as a Mario platformer with the scale, interaction and exploration of an RPG rather than part of the Paper Mario series. It really does a great job at that, in my opinion.

The sense of humor is really spot on through most of it, too. I guess it's the sort of game where humor makes up at least a third or fourth part of the reasons to finish it. But I haven't really seen it mentioned that the story wasn't really bad either. It's got some pretty intersting characters like Count Bleck's people (if you're into colorful and excentric casts, that is).

It's a good game don't get me wrong, but it just isn't anywhere near as good as Thousand Year Door or the original Paper Mario was. In my opinion at least.

If you want to put your blood and sweat into super paer mario then go right ahead. It may not be rpg and turn-based related like the other paper mario games, but you get to experience a whole new perspective of mario if you play it. True you might not have your old partners or badges, but the tools you find along the way and the story line is simply magnifique.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Super Paper Mario is amazing! I actually liked it better than TTYD. The game still has RPG elements like leveling up but it is styled more like a humorous side-scroller. The puzzles are unique and the gameplay is great. Even though it isn't exactly like TTYD you will probably like this game.

G

Gordon17freeman

I love all 3 of the Paper Mario series, and it just gets better with each entry.

The only one I've played is the one for N64 and even that, I haven't finished. But it's been one of my favorite Mario titles so far and I'm looking forward to playing more of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom