• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario Galaxy Vs. Super Mario Galaxy 2

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
In your opinion what's the better game?

Super Mario Galaxy made a huge impact on gaming, but the same gameplay plus the addition of Yoshi makes SMG2 a slightly better game in my opinion. Either way you can't go wrong. Great gameplay, graphics, levels, and level of fun make these games a blast!

I liked the first Super Mario Galaxy better then the second one.
The first one felt more original to me plus I liked the whole backstory that Rosalina has.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 may have had better levels but it didn't hold my interests, and felt like a chore to play at times.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I loved both of them, but I feel that SMG2 took everything AWESOME about SMG and made it even BETTER! I also liked Starship Mario better than Rosalina's ENORMOUS starship and I loved having Yoshi! The Throwback Galaxy also made my life.

Galaxy 2 was better. Yoshi is an awesome character, and they really did him well in Galaxy 2; the levels were slightly better, and more fun; it had more retro music than Galaxy 1. The one thing I liked less about Galaxy 2 was the hub world. It's got the smallest one yet out of any 3D Mario, and there isn't really too much to do there. Rosalina's observatory was cool just because you actually unlocked new levels from there: I guess that's not a very valid point, because you still used the Mario spaceship to get to new areas, but it made the hub feel more, well, like a hub.
Also, in Galaxy 1, once you get all 120 stars, all you get to do is collect the same stars over again as Luigi. In Galaxy 2, you have 120 more Green Stars to collect, and even if they're not nearly as fun as the normal stars, at least they're something new. Plus, in Galaxy 2, you can play as Luigi whenever you want.
All in all, Galaxy 2 basically improved everything just a little bit over Galaxy 1. The new powerup mushrooms were even cooler (plus, they kept the ones from Galaxy 1).

The Throwback Galaxy also made my life.

Yes yes yes. That place was awesome. So much nostalgia...

Hanyou

didn't build that
Which was more original isn't important. What is important is that SMG2 improved on many of the aspects of SMG, cutting the fat and offering numerous creative objectives.

That said, the two aren't mutually exclusive. SMG has an atmosphere and presentation I prefer (though SMG 2 is similar), and both are well worth playing.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
I love the original SMG simply cuz it was the first one I played, although they are pretty much the same in my opinion...
If I played SMG2 first, it would be different, but I just loved the original levels from the first one-especially Haunted Galaxy or something like that. :P

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I loved Super Mario Galaxy more! The whole game was an amazing experience and I loved the Bosses and Purple Coin and prank Comets idea. The Music is some of the best I have ever heard in a Video game Bowser's Boss theme and Ice Mario stand out the most for me!:yes: I hated the fact that Ice Mario wasn't in Galaxy 2:mad: Its my favourite powerup. Galaxy 2 is excellant with the added bonus of Yoshi and an extra challenge but Galaxy 1 is the best game on the Wii in my opinion.:cool:

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I honestly preferred Super Mario Galaxy over Super Mario Galaxy 2. Super Mario Galaxy just seemed way more original for me, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 felt almost as if it was the exact same game with different levels. I mean, the story is virtually the same as it's predecessor (Bowser tries to take over the Universe), the music tries to sound similar to the first game, only in a different key, so on and so forth. The only significant improvement was gameplay mechanics.

The addition of Yoshi was quite nice, but for some reason, they took out the whole sort of cosmic feel of the game. While the gravity still exists, Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't as, um, planet based as it's predecessor. Most of the levels are sort of flat or walls, not spherical planets and galaxies. I'm also perhaps one of the only people who doesn't like the whole Starship Mario and the Super Mario Bros. level select. Rosellia's ship definitely felt as if it could be a part of the plot (in fact, it was), whereas I have no clue why they would just turn a satellite into Mario's head, which I find quite difficult to walk around.

I might sound like a person who doesn't like sequels that much (don't get me wrong, I like sequels if done right), but the original is definitely better than the first one.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Although the first one was obviously the original and thus had a larger impact, I think the second one was most definitely an improvement. From the title and from almost all outward appearances, it seems like just a half-effort attempt at cashing in on the success of the first game. But no, Nintendo legitimately had a significant amount of unexplored Galaxy-related ideas that they didn't manage to incorporate into the first game, meaning the second one is still a unique, new experience. In some ways it also adhered more to the traditional Mario/platformer formula that's far more linear than what you'd expect from an adventure game like Zelda. Though it still maintained the 3D gameplay, the map system allowed for it to be a straight experience like the original 2D games, though still allowing you ways to work around some things if you so desired as is present in many of the other 2D and 3D games - much like Super Mario Bros. 3 which also used a map, but still like the other 3D things with the whole star-collecting element.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I dont really know i like them pretty much equally but I would have t o say that if I had to choose I would choose Super mario galaxy 1 right now but that might change if i decided to replay super mario galaxy 2. I like super mario galaxy a little more because it had the open level plan rather then chosen level plan that was SMG2 had which was so similar to 2d mario games. I liked some of the level designs and new implementations of technology that SMG had. Some parts of SMG2 were obviously somewhat based off old levels but only very few. The things i like in smg2 better are some of the new suits, many of the new ideas and levels, yoshi, and the nostalgic Super Mario 64 level.

The addition of Yoshi was quite nice, but for some reason, they took out the whole sort of cosmic feel of the game. While the gravity still exists, Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't as, um, planet based as it's predecessor. Most of the levels are sort of flat or walls, not spherical planets and galaxies.

Personally, I sort of liked the fact that less of the levels were scattered floating planetoids, because it added at least a little more feel of non-linearity, which to me is a big bonus. It also shows that they don't need to be in outer space to have fun with gravity, and so is therefor less limiting on the different types of environments.

I'm also perhaps one of the only people who doesn't like the whole Starship Mario and the Super Mario Bros. level select. Rosellia's ship definitely felt as if it could be a part of the plot (in fact, it was), whereas I have no clue why they would just turn a satellite into Mario's head, which I find quite difficult to walk around.

You're not quite the only one: I'd definitely have to agree with you there. Mario's head just isn't a very cool spaceship, and it's just... tiny... The level select wasn't that cool either. It was practically just a reference to the 2D Marios, but beyond that, it was practically pointless.

In some ways it also adhered more to the traditional Mario/platformer formula that's far more linear than what you'd expect from an adventure game like Zelda.

You're definitely right that Nintendo seemed to take a few ideas from older 2D Mario games. However, if you ask me, one of the best things about the old 2D Marios is their old-school difficulty levels. I think I would've had a lot more fun if Nintendo had lifted that from the past rather than linear levels and overworld maps.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
I liked one better over all, I feel that the levels were better and the over all execution of the game. 2 had better bosses however, but the late game felt tedious and a lot of the areas were not as enjoyable as the first game. I felt Yoshi was underused and in some areas forced and unnecessary in others. The final boss fight in 2 was also extremely disappointing in execution.
Being able to switch to Luigi at any time in 2 was a nice addition, but I liked the new game plus with him in 1 better than just switching.
Starship Mario was a neat idea, but ended up feeling like just a tiny hub for useless collectibles in the end without much else to it.

I like the original better, honestly.

Also, Lubba telling you to take a break or change batteries is outright ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom