• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario Bros. Movie

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Yes, this is a terrible movie, but not because it deviated from the source material. When you consider the plot of the games, it would never work for a feature length film.

The problem is because the movie is trying to be two things at once. Firstly, its trying to be kid-friendly and throw in as many references to the games that don't make sense in the context of the movie. Bomb-ombs? Really? Lizards evolving into humans? Darwin must be spinning in his grave.

Secondly, its trying to be some dark comedy, and that clashes harshly with the first goal. If they just referenced the game a few times, but chose to go PG-13 or R rating with only a passing resemblance to the games, it would have worked better.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
This is something my sister and I have actually wanted to see. =P Not because we're thinking, "OMG a Mario movie! That sounds awesome! Let's go see it! =D". We both realize that it is epic fail, but we are considering renting it for the lolz. While some terrible movies make you want to murder the director in his sleep, others make you laugh at the sheer stupidity of it. We're hoping it will be the latter.

Last edited:

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
I have to say I did enjoy this movie. xD;;

Sure it strayed from the source material quite a bit, but it was kind of intresting to see a different interpretation of the series. =P If your going into this movie wanting to see a Temple for Mario games in film format, then yeah your not going to enjoy it much.

Yoshi was my favorite, he ate people. >D The Luigi and Toadstool plotline was cute too. <3 The only char that really bothered me was Toad, definally wasn't expecting to even see him in the movie lol.

The Mario movie was terrible not just because it was different,but because of just how bad the movie's plot is.
In one part of the movie you find out that Koopas are evolved dinosaurs,and that Bowser has a gun that can de-volve people into monkeys,which is a stupid plot.
The only good scene is when the Mario bros are scared of the Bob-omg
which is only the size of a golf ball.

This is something my sister and I have actually wanted to see. =P Not because we're thinking, "OMG a Mario movie! That sounds awesome! Let's go see it! =D". We both realize that it is epic fail, but we are considering renting it for the lolz. While terrible movies make you want to murder the director in his sleep, others make you laugh at the sheer stupidity of it. We're hoping it will be the latter.

Well, if that's what you want form it, you're sure to get it! I've found that if you watch a bad movie with no expectations and just for laughs, you won't be disappointed.

I love it because of its so bad its funny... It was one of the first DVDs we ever bought, me and my friends agree it's bad but we still like watching it for S&G's

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The Luigi and Toadstool plotline was cute too.

It wasn't Luigi and Toadstool, it was Luigi and Daisy. Toadstool is Peach, and Peach is Mario's gal lol.

Here is a list of the things I did not like about the movie and thought were completely dumb.

1. No Princess Peach. The movie takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom (King Koopa calls it that sarcastically). If the game takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom then the daughter of the King should have been Peach, not Daisy.

2. Mario had a girlfriend. The only girl in the series he was ever seen fraternizing with is Peach, who was not in the movie.

3. King Koopa was never called Bowser. It just annoyed me that there was no reference to him being Bowser and that they only called him King Koopa.

3. King Koopa was a T-Rex. This was VERY dumb. King Koopa/Bowser is a turtle in every single game in the series. He is a turtle that can breath fire. They made him a T-Rex in the movie....terrible....

4. All of the people/koopas are evolved dinosaurs. Last I checked, all koopas are turtles with King Koopa/Bowser being a big turtle with spikes on his shell who breaths fire. This was a complete change of species from the videogame.

5. Toad was one of the evolved Dinosaurs. This was dumb because Toad is a mushroom man. Hence it being called the Mushroom Kingdom. Also, they made Toad seem like a druggy with a guitar.

6. The only reason that King Koopa called the place the Mushroom Kingdom was because there was fungus and mushrooms growing everywhere. It's called the Mushroom Kingdom because the people that live in it are Mushroom people.

7. Thge mushrooms in the series make Mario bigger. In the movie, the mushrooms themselves got bigger.

8. The only thing in the movie that actually stuck true was the Bob-omb, and it was used once, focused on for a couple minutes, and didn't do much.

9. The only person/creature in the movie that actually was the correct species was Yoshi being a dinosaur, because he actually is a dinosaur in the games, but they made Yoshi some creepy little creature when he's supposed to be a grown dinosaur who lets Mario ride on his back. At least they gave him the long tongue.

10. Mario and Luigi aren't blood brothers. This made me very mad. I'm not sure if it's ever even been confirmed in the video games that they are blood brothers, but it seems obvious that they are. Luigi said that Mario took him in when he was a child or baby or something and has been is father and brother and mother etc.. That was dumb to me because there are video games where they are babies together. Obviously they are supposed to be around the same age in the video games.

11. Mario isn't Italian. What's the point of making him an Italian plumber in every video game and then having him be some fat Caucasian with a Brooklyn accent. Luigi was the only Italian one and I think that's only because the actor was Italian and I don't think it was done on purpose lol.

12. Pipes weren't used. At least some kind of pipe should have been used as a transport. Instead of having a random portal it should have been a portal inside of a big pipe.

13. Mario is supposed to naturally be a big jumper and the only reason he was able to jump so well was because of some stupid jump boots.

14. What the heck was up with those Goombas? They were HUGE and dinosaury. They are supposed to be small and mushroomy. I HATED that.

15. I don't know if anyone noticed this, but Spike and Iggy were King Koopa's nephews and his henchmen, so to speak. In Super Mario 3 and in Super Mario World, Spike and Iggy are his children and they are also turtles with spikey shells, not dinosaurs that evolved. Also, if they had those two in the movie then they should have had the rest of his children (or in this case, nieces and nephews) in the movie.

Well, that's my long list of why that movie was dumb. I think that it could have worked well if they actually based it on the video games. Have Peach get kidnapped by Bowser (don't have him be called King Koopa). Leave the koopas as turtles. Have powerups, but make them realistic like instead of having the mushroom make Mario grow, just have it make him stronger. Make the enemies look like they are supposed to. Make Yoshi have the role he's supposed to have and not some pet who is captured. Have pipes in the game. The only thing I wouldn't change is leaving the main characters American and not Italian. It would be weird watching Italian actors the entire time. NO DINOSAURS UNLESS THEY ARE THE ACTUAL DINOSAUR ENEMIES FROM THE GAME.

And that is all I have to say on this subject.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This film was #8 in NOM's old Worst Game > Movie list.

I disagree.

It wasn't a bad film, like, in bad film standards. It just made Mario look bad and, as Nintendo fans, that anger's us more than anything! ;) They should have changed the main characters name to Joey. He does not deserve the name Mario. Lol

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
This film was #8 in NOM's old Worst Game > Movie list.

I disagree.

It wasn't a bad film, like, in bad film standards. It just made Mario look bad and, as Nintendo fans, that anger's us more than anything! ;) They should have changed the main characters name to Joey. He does not deserve the name Mario. Lol

Well if they changed the main characters name then it would not be a Super Mario movie and a high number of people who did see it would never have seen it.

As far as a highly 80's/early 90's influenced flick, it's good to watch. But if you are a fan of the game looking for koopas and fire flowers, and a big evil turtle hybrid named Bowser, then your going to be quite disappointed. Well, maybe except for Yoshi. He is about the only thing they got right, but he was quite small. Bowser is represented as a man, who is named Koopa as he is in Japan and the early SMB days, who was evolved from a T-Rex. Toad is a guy who likes to play harmonica. Iggy is in there, again as a normal humanoid, but I don't believe he has any real relation to Koopa at all.

I like the movie to an extent, but not as a Mario flick. Its more like, "Lets take this wildley popular video game and try to make it as realistic as possible." Which in the end meant taking every element fans of the game were used to and either nixing it, or completely altering it into something that is the opposite of what it originally was.

I believe that trying to make a movie based on Mario, and make it like the game, is near impossible. That is the reason I find this movie bearable to watch. Too often are fans of video games disappointed at a movie rendition because it leaves out this and that. But the fact is that if a big movie producer made a film that followed a video game, mainly an old one, it would be too predictable among fans of the game, and not appealing at all to people who haven't played.

I use the Resident Evil movies as a good example. They were based on the games and had a lot of elements from the games, especially Apocalypse, but they did not follow the same characters on the same journey. There were things that were altered to appeal to a broader audience than just the fans.

For example, if they had followed the games, part one would have taken place in the mansion and followed the Jill or Chris as a main character, with the other being kidnapped. This would have for one, left a main character from the game out of the movie, and fans would have been pissed. If they would have made part 2 like Resident Evil 2, you would have had a movie with completely new main characters. If any normal person who hadn't played the game would have even liked the first flick, this would definitely turn them off. Then you would have part 3 following Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, which is roughly what second film, Apocalypse, done. However, the film had Jill as a supporting actress rather than the main character. Instead, of all of this, they created a new main character in Alice, and had her follow a pre-mansion story, an infected Raccoon City, and a post apocalyptic world where the virus has widely spread. They have to keep the same main character to hold the interest of those watching. They even made Nemesis a mutated experiement done on a one of the supporting actors from the first film, obviously just to have some sort of connection to the character.

Last edited:
I think this is bad because being fans it is nothing like we expect, It is like the film Doom, Not ever having played all the way through Doom I thought that the film was quite good but everyone I know that was a fan of that film other than the rare one or two people they all thought it was a bad film. To be honest I think it is a film worth watching

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I recently bought this movie for a friend as a bit of a gag, and when we sat down to watch it, I found that (as some have stated above) it's not that bad of a movie, but the fact that the subject matter has so much lore behind it that wasn't used made it a bad movie. It's somewhat like the Catwoman movie in this respect. I'm a huge Batman fan and was highly disappointed by it, but if you remove the trademarked character from it, it's not so bad.

Mario Bros isn't, of course, Oscar worthy in terms of writing or deep plots, but as far as a popcorn action goes where you leave your mind at the door, it was enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom