• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario Bros 3 VS. Super Mario World

Which is your favorite?

• Super Mario Bros 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Mario World

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I prefer Super Mario World because it has everything I want to see in a 2D Mario game. In retrospect, some newer installments in the franchise seem like a step back in regards to this SNES masterpiece. Super Mario World boasted an enormous and connected overworld, some of the best castle, fortress, and boss designs in franchise history, and was the first franchise installment where Mario and Yohsi teamed up and still arguably the best.

One of my greatest gripes with the newer 2D Mario games is that the overworld feels loose and disjointed. There is only one world map on the screen at a time. Super Mario World was different. All eight worlds were connected and it was always a pleasure to traverse Dinosaur Land as a connected whole either on foot or using various transportation mechanisms such as Star Road.

The castle and fortress designs were also superb. This was already seen in the castle of the first world with large totems crashing down to smash Mario to pieces. This wasn't only an interesting new gameplay mechanic but also showcased the power of the SNES and highlighted what Nintendo could do with the power of its 16 bit system. The same applied for the spikes introduced in Wendy's Castle as well as the rotating rotor blades throughout. The Koopalings were very well designed and often were grouped in pairs with Larry being a harder version of Iggy, Roy a more difficult Morton, and Wendy a tad harder than Lemmy. The most interesting battles, however, were the unique designs-Ludwig and Bowser. The first was a lot larger than his brothers and sisters but was relatively easy to beat whereas the King of Koopas himself was one of the greatest showdowns in franchise history. Seeing the clown car's eyes turn red with anger after the fourth hit is still one of the most chilling gaming moments I carry with myself to this day.

Yoshi, however, was inarguably the factor that made the game. He was found in four colors: standard green, red, blue, and orange. Each had their own unique abilities such as flying, spitting out fireballs, or causing an earthquake upon jumping. Yoshi may have returned in future games but his potential was never used as wisely. Super Mario World not only introduced the dinosaur denizen to the greatest platformer franchise of all time but also saw him used best.

Fig

The Altruist
Why did you have to do this me? I'm not going to vote because I don't want to choose favorites. I love Super Mario Bros. 3 for its difficulty and power ups, the introduction of the 7 Koopalings, the Tanooki and Racoon suits. But at the same time, Super Mario World introduced us to Yoshi, the return of the Koopalings, the Super Cape power up, and the extreme difficulty of the game. My vote is for both of the these masterpieces. So technically speaking, I'm voting but not officially. :D

super mario world is my favorite 2d platformer and 2nd best mario game of all time in my opinion. so i guess my answer to this could be obvious

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
I love both but Super Mario World is like a great improvement over SMB3. Only thing is there's no Tanooki suit in SMW and I love the Tanooki, but I beleive SMW to be the better game with SMB3 a very very very close second.

MW7

Super Mario Bros 3 is one of the greatest games of all time, but I think Super Mario World is a little better. I thought Yoshi was an amazing addition, and the secret exits provided much replay value. Also call me crazy but the ghost houses made me genuinely uncomfortable because I was always afraid I wouldn't find my way through in time.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mario World is better IMO. Super Mario Bros 3 is really good but it is only just beaten by Super Mario World, I have the fondest memories of Super Mario World as it was the first game I ever played.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I truly love both of these games. Super Mario 3 was my favorite Mario game for a long time (I never owned a SNES myself, hence I didn't get to play Super Mario World very much), it brough so much additional fun to the concept. Super Mario Bros was a great first game, and Super Mario 2 sure brought some interesting quirks to the concept, but it was in Super Mario 3 that the quirks really came to good use, with the nice world map that gave you more options on what to do, the option to replay, the way you could stock up on abilities, all the special abilities you could have, all the hidden stuff you ended up discovering.

However, as much as I truly and utterly love Super Mario 3, Super Mario World has it beat hands down. I loved all the new moves (like the new way you could fly in this game, compared to previous games), loved the big complete world map with all its quirks and secrets, which also allowed you to go back to ANY level at any time to replay them - not simply the levels of the world you were currently inhabiting (that's a major plus) and let's not forget about Yoshi, the main reason why I love Super Mario World as much as I do. Yoshi brought something completely new to the concept - I always love it when a Mario game gives us the opportunity to play with Yoshi (I really enjoyed that Mario 64 DS brought him into the game - cause seriously that was the only thing the original Mario 64 game lacked - an active Yoshi - not just a Yoshi sitting on the roof giving 100 lives to whoever completed 120 stars) :)

Mayor Dotour

Mayor of Clocktown
I'm so glad back then I didn't have to choose when they introduced Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World. In this case if i ahd to choose, I'd say SMB3 hands down. Even though I can play and pass them both 100% with hands tied behind my back, SMB3 brought so much to the table in terms of special powers, simplicity design of some levels as well as very memorable levels. I love playing coop with a friend it's so much fun competing against who gets the Mushroom. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom