• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario All Stars or the Original Games?

All Stars or the originals?

• Originals/NES (8-bit)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • All Stars (16-bit)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Just a quick question I want to put out, do you prefer the original NES versions of Super Mario Bros 1 - 3, or do you like the All Stars remakes of them? Even though they're the same games, there's quite a bit of difference b/w them. I'm more partial to the 8-bit versions of these games myself, w/ Super Mario Bros 2 being an exception, mostly b/c I played the advance version, which is based on the All Stars version. Which versions of this trilogy do you like best overall?

The physics in the All Stars version of SMB1 and The Lost Levels always felt a little off to me compared to the NES versions. I love the graphical overhaul but they play worse so I prefer the NES SMB 1 and The Lost Levels. As for SMB2 and SMB3, I prefer the All Stars versions. SMB3 especially has some very nice new backgrounds instead of the weird void backgrounds like in cave levels in the NES SMB3.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
For me, the trade-off of having nicer 16-bit pixel art versus not quite being the same physics as the original is small. So, I'd say I prefer the All-Stars versions, especially for 3, which looks so nice redone in 16-bit graphics.

If you are speedrurner you prefer the NES originals for all of the obvious reasons.
For the rest of us it's purely subjective. My personal preference is the original NES versions but both NES and SNES versions are good, just very different. I will say the SNES remake of SMB1 and SMB2J are needed as the visuals of the NES originals are much too dated to be appealing these days. SMB2 (rest of the world) and SMB3 is a toss up. Both NES and SNES look very good, just in different ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom