• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario All-Stars: Coming to the Wii

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Super Mario All-Stars was a compilation of classic NES Mario games that were graphically enhanced for the SNES.

It contains Super Mario Brothers 1-3, and something called "The Lost Levels," which is actually the Japanese Super Mario Brothers 2.

It was one of my favorite SNES games, and my mother and I played it so much when I was little that the cartridge is starting to fall apart. I still go up there, to my SNES, and play the game, because this version is still superior to the direct NES ports we see on the VC.

Because I grew up with the enhanced graphics and save features of All-Stars, the originals don't seem quite as good to me.

I've been hoping for a re-release of this ever since the Nintendo 64 days. The closest I got was with the release of Super Mario Advance, which featured an enhanced version of the All-Stars version of Super Mario Brothers 2, but it didn't feature the other three games.

Now, fairly recently, I heard that this game was going to be released in Japan. I was a bit jealous, but I know that they release goodies like that over there all the time (Like the SaGa 2 remake for the Nintendo DS), so I just dismissed it.

Then, I heard that it was coming to Europe on December 3rd. That shocked me... I began to wonder if the US economy was so bad that Nintendo was beginning to favor Europe over us, and now we would be the ones getting games last. I was a little frustrated at this point... there was going to be an English translation of the game and packaging, obviously, yet we still weren't going to get it? Did they forget how popular the NES Mario games were here?

Finally, I heard the good news. The game is coming to the US on December 12th. I was relieved. There was a list of places to pre-order it on Nintendo's website, but unfortunately there was no direct link to the listing, just to their main pages, and only Gamestop turned up a listing of the game on their search. I tried clicking on the "Add to cart" button there, but they handed me a server error. :(

Hopefully I can find a place that will let me pre-order the game soon, because I think it might be a limited edition.

Anyway, how do you feel about Super Mario All-Stars? Has anyone else been waiting as long as I have for this?

I'm actually glad Super Mario All-Stars is coming to the U.S. When I found out Japan and Europe were getting it, I was also worried that it wouldn't make it here. I have played Super Mario All-Stars at my aunt's house, when they still had the Super Nintendo, and I enjoyed it. Though I still enjoy the 8-bit originals of the games, I still intend on buying this for my Wii.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
athenian, your an idea stealer. I was about to make a thread about that! Anyways, it's good to see this game's coming to all three places, although I wish we could've gotten it sooner. Of well, it's just a difference of not even a week.

Anyways, I'm VERY excited for this. I have EXTREMELY fond memories of SMAS on the SNES (first game I ever played was something on SMAS, actually I think, not to mention I played it like crazy with my Mom and cousins and stuff when I was little). Combined with the soundtrack, big fancy box, and pamphlet detailing the history of the Mario Bros plus the fact that I don't have the SNES SMAS anymore and it's an auto-buy for me.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I am definetly going to attempt to purchase this game collection. As I was born just barely into the N64 generation, I missed out. It looks like a great deal, imo.

This is excellent news. I never owned the original actually; I've managed to play all of the games through other systems and other means since the games themselves have been released and re-released quite a few times. But it'll be great to have all of these amazingly classic games in one place.... and for the Wii too! I'm one of the guys that praises Super Mario Bros 3 so much, so most of my time will probably be put into that, even though I've already poured countless hours into the GBA remake they made a while back with the graphics enhancement.

S

Super Goombario

I just picked that back up, actually. This is exciting that it's being released on the Wii, though I'd rather it be on Virtual Console.

Also, for the record, there were other Super Mario Advance games that remade SMB3, and I think SMW 1 and 2.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm really glad to hear that so many people are excited about this. :)

Anyway, that issue with pre-orders has been resolved, and it's now possible to pre-order the game from Amazon or GameStop. I won't post links, since that might be considered soliciting, but you may want to hurry, because this will be a limited edition.

Oh, and Ver-go-a-go-go... I didn't know that they had remade Super Mario Bros. 3 for the Game Boy Advance. I would definitely have gotten it. Well, it doesn't really matter now. I can get that and more on a larger screen.

A few things I forgot to mention. It will come with a Soundtrack including several songs from Mario games over the years, and it will also come with a small book discussing the history of the Mario series.

Finally, this whole thing is being done to celebrate the 25th anniversery of Super Mario Bros. You may also want to look out for the Red Wii and DSi, if you're a collector. I'm not, but I know some people are.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I still have the original Mario All-Stars for the Super Nintendo. I actually played it about 3 days ago when I heard about the Japanese release. I really think this is a good idea. I loved the original Mario Bros games. I might just get it as a collector.

I hope this comes with upgraded music n' graphics. Otherwise, I could just pick the same game up at a flea-market at a cheaper price on the original console.
But I'm certain it'll get the audio-visual upgrades because of the reason I just stated.
Super Mario Bros 1-3 are classics, as is the Lost Levels (despite my intense amount of cussing while playing the game). It's be great to have them re-released on the Wii. Though I can't say it's going to beat out Metroid: Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and/or DKC Returns. Still, classic revivals are winning passes in my book.

I am glad this is coming to the US and at 30 dollars I just might buy two copies: one to play and one to sell for thousands of dollars years from today. I might just buy the one though. :P

On a different note, did you know there was a version of this game that included Super Mario World?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I hate how it's while supplies last. So I'm going to pre-order this so I can get a copy without worries.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
On one hand, I'm happy to hear this. I never bought the original game because at the time the games included were just too new. As a teenager on a budget, it wasn't worth it, especially since I owned the original Lost Levels (SMB2) Famicom cartridgee with a North American NES adapter. If I had the money, I would have bought it for the update and the convenience of it being a 4-in-1 though, and 16bit graphics to boot!

On the other hand, I'm disappointed. I really think it's a bit cheap to slap something that could go for $8 on the VC to a disc and charge much more. Granted, we're getting bonus content, but still, it seems a bit of a cash grab. In a way, I can see why it's being done though. To buy the four games on the VC individually, it would cost about $21. (I'm going by the fact that in Canada at least, about 100 Wii points is equal to $1). So, to charge $8 for the same 4 games would be a no brainer for people to buy on the VC unless they wanted the absolute original. To charge a premium on the VC -- no one would buy it. So it is clever marketing, just... unfortunate.

It would have been amazing to update the games to New Super Mario Bros Wii graphics. I would have paid a full $50 or $60 for that, but that would require making a development team and producing it as a legitimate game. Not a fully-fleshed team as NSMBWii had, but a big enough one to tweak it all.

So, it's a mixed bag for me. Am I buying it? Absolutely! Do I think it's worth it? Mehh... Kinda. It's nostalgia mainly, and the package deal sells it. I know I'm being suckered into a bit of a bad deal, but my fandom outweighs my sensibility here.

I just hope the same type of package deal happens with the Zelda 25th right around the corner, but I doubt that will be the case. Mario is synonymous with Nintendo's anniversary, but Zelda isn't as franchised. The creators have said as much in their Iwata Asks columns. It was advised to leave Mario as the prime mascott and to not have competing figureheads. I would hope someone at Nintendo thinks it's a good fan-serving idea though, as we'd then have a compilation disc for Wii for each of the three big guns (Mario, Metroid, Zelda).

This set is awesome. Everyone comp'laining it is just a port, and you know what. It is. But get over it, It is awesome. My only complaint is that the CD did not have enough great themes on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom