• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super mario 64 & super mario sunshine

So, i just found some of my old consoles with a couple of games, that i would like to play a bit before i give them away, just for the sake of nostalgia. I had a look to see if i could find a website where people still talk about these games, but i couldn't find any, except a few message boards that almost nobody is using, so i thought i would post my thread here instead. Is anyone still playing these good old classic games?
s_01.gif

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I still got those to play while I'm waiting on Super Mario 3DS this year. I've been meaning to give the Gamecube life which I have been lately and will continue to with Super Mario Sunshine whenever I start it this year. I will also play Super Mario 64 DS when my 3DS arrives sometime this week.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I must be very old, because I still consider Super Mario Sunshine to be a very recent game. And Super Mario 64 doesn't feel that old to me either. I still remember the days when all there was were the NES and the SNES was brand new and almost no one had it yet. :lol:
I played Sunshine last year, which to me feels like a week ago. Completed it completely.

jugglaj91

I am me....
A lot of people still play them. Whether or not you'll find reasonable help for them may be an issue. People play games and don't always talk about them on the internet when playing them. They just play for the nostalgia or for fun. I wish you luck in your quest in Sunshine as i never got into that game. And yes, I still play Mario 64, as well as 1, 2 (NA release), and 3 from time to time when the mood strikes.

Wait... Sunshine is a classic title now? When did this happen? [noparse]>.>[/noparse]

But anyways, I love these games, and I still play them. Just earlier this year I was replaying Super Mario Sunshine for nostalgia and the fact that my memory card got corrupted and had to be formatted. I wish you luck in collecting all 120 Shine Sprites, though. I only got to 119 and gave up. In my opinion, though, Sunshine wasn't that great a Mario game. Super Mario 64 was just so much better.

Just some time last year, my brother moved out and he took the Nintendo 64 with him. With it, was Super Mario 64. I told him that he'd have to put $10 on the Wii so I can at least download it from the virtual console. I don't want to let go of this game; it's just that amazing.

But yes, people still do play these great titles. Classic games seem to always have the most replay value.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I love Super Mario 64 and play it frequently. Considering that I've owned the game for 15 years and never gotten tired of it, that's real staying power.

Super Mario Sunshine, on the other hand, feels like an unbearable mess to me. Beautiful graphics, but it lacks real personality and the gameplay is crippled by the FLUDD. Galaxy was a wonderful return to form, but it's unfortunate we had to put up with Sunshine in the meantime.

So the answer to your question is "yes and no."

Sonicbowling

BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!
I got all 120 Sprites on Super Mario Sunshine once. And I had to use a guide because that game is so difficult.
Super Mario 64 is a game that everyone should play regardless of what genre they like as Mario 64 paved the way for 3-D gaming.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I play games older than that actually some are older than me. Super Mario All-Stars, Turtles in Time most of my games are good old classics.

Djinn

and Tonic
I have never really thought of Sunshine as a classic, it is still only one generation old. But as far as Mario games go, I never really play it much at all. Now the older ones, definitely. I still find myself playing Mario 2 and Mario World fairly often. I have always considered them both to be the best pick up and play games in the Mario series, at least for me they are. Mario 2 had my favorite gameplay so I still play it often even today. I thought it was just fun being able to jump on everything and any enemy can be used as a weapon against all other enemies. To me it was the Mario equivalent of a brawler, any and everything around you was a means of taking down enemies. I still wish Nintendo would bring back fryguy and mouser. And Mario World is large enough that I can wonder around and roam random areas for fun whenever I want to and still not clear it easily like most games I have played hundreds of time in the past. The game is so huge it will probably never get boring to play, all I need to do is just go to a different area for a shift in level style.

I would also love a remake of Mario Land 2 from the original B/W gameboy. It was a really fun game, loved the bunny ears powerup. Although it is a totally forgotten game today, it is incredibly hard to find anywhere. I wish I still had my copy from years ago.

So yes I do still play many of the classic Mario games, but there are plenty of NES and SNES games I will still play fairly often as I don't think I will ever get tired of them. Contra and Final Fantasy VI are two that I will probably continue to play for years to come.

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Yes, I still play both of these truly classic games, though I haven't for a while.

I certainly consider Sunshine a classic- fun, enormous, alive, and with lots of replay value. I never did 100% it- the only 3D Mario I've done that with is 64- but I do plan on returning to the game sometime soon and replaying it. It certainly beats out both Galaxies in the fun department. The two older 3D Mario platformers are easily my favorite games in the series, and I love them both to death.

Heck, I still play my old file on SM64DS that has 100% completion on it- it's that awesome. I play the old Marios too.

Also, anyone else still enjoy the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy? Those games were real classics, especially 2. DKC2 is easily my favorite platformer apart from SM64 and is certainly a hardcore classic in my book.

Most of the games i play are at least 10 years old.
I still play games from the very early eighties on their original consoles.
I play games that are older than most of you.
I have over 1 hundred games that are at least 15 yrs old.
And i much prefer them to games of the last 10 yrs.
I just get much more fun and enjoyment from the real old games than from games now.

A few examples of old games are.
Super Metroid, Mario 1, LttP, Jet set willy and hundreds of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom