• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Mario 64 2

Talk has long been circulating among Super Mario fans hoping for a Super Mario Sunshine sequel or Galaxy trequel but is this truly the best course of action? I for one would like to see a return back to basics, converting the traditional 3D platformer to the 3D realm along the lines of Super Mario 64. Said game already had a sequel in development until it was cancelled and although some of SM 64 2's ideas were implemented into later installments, it never hurts to release a new game.

While the title would certainly have to be altered for the modern day, the principle theme of navigating Peach's Castle would come off as fresh after three more eccentric 3D Mario platformers. While cleaning graffiti and soaring into outer space are great, every plumber requires a break in familiar home turf once in awhile.

Interestingly enough, the shift towards Peach's Castle would mirror the minor story alterations Nintendo is pursuing with New Super Mario Bros. U wherein the Mario Bros. are thrown into a distant grassland by Bowser's airship and must traverse worlds of peril to reclaim the homeland.

What are your thoughts on the manner? Would you like to see a sequel title in the vein of Super Mario 64 or is the concept too outdated and lackluster after Mario's latter more creative outings in the additional third dimension? Post your thoughts below.

I want Mario 64 2 but not in the sense that you describe in the OP. What I'd want from Mario 64 2 and what i've been wanting since Sunshine is bringing Mario's move-set back from Mario 64. I hated how in Mario Sunshine we were without the long jump, air kick, backflip and punch-punch-kick standing combo. I hated that Mario didn't have those moves in Sunshine because he really needed them. Having to navigate those Galaxy-esq Secret Stages of sunshine was a nightmare without the long jump and air kick to land jumps properly. Some people say that their favourite parts are the Secret Stages because Mario feels like Mario once again without FLUDD but the hell did he.

I also wanted his moves back in Galaxy but alas even though we got the long jump back we didnt get the combo, of course we didnt have any stupidly-hard-to-land-jumps like we did in sunshine but the spin attack in both Galaxy games felt forced in the name of waggle/motion control and i didn't like that.

Aside from Mario's move-set I'd like the kind of setting of exploring a hub world/castle to come back. Sunshine had this and it was cool how it changed over time with the light etc and that you could use power ups in the field but i didn't like the hub ships of Galaxy and excuse the pun but that spaceship hub layout and galaxy pointing felt far too alien to me.

Mario 64 is my favourite Mario game and Nintendo should bring back a lot of what it did/ Mario is Zelda he doesn't need gimmicks like FLUDD or waggle Spin Attacks.

I want neither; I don't think they should remake or alter the masterpiece that is Mario 64. I suppose if they were to make a game with similar controls, but with a whole new story and differing gameplay that would be okay. I just would not want them to make s sequel to 64, or run along the same guidelines. I didn't like Super Mario Galaxy at all, it gave me a headache every time I played it.. I hated how the planets and worlds you played on constantly rotated, it hurt my mind. Hopefully the next installment will be completely original, and not be a sequel to either of these games.. And I most certainly hope they do not bring back the Galaxy type of levels and gameplay.

I'm not sure about a direct sequal, but I do welcome a Mario game that use the same mechanics as Super Mario 64. I really enjoyed that game, and they should work off of that for there next installment and move away from the Galaxy theme.

There was already a sequel to Super Mario 64, it's called Super Mario Land 3D.

Super Mario 3D Land has nothing to do with Super Mario 64 at all, so it's not a Sequal.

Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to save her, how does it have nothing to do with Mario 64?

That senario has been done to death throughout the whole Super Mario series, it isn't just unique to Super Mario 64. You got the Super Mario Bros games which doesn't even have the same gameplay and doesn't have much of a storyline compared to Super Mario 64.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I wouldn't really be for a direct sequel. Super Mario 64 provided the groundwork for the 3D Mario titles, and to this day it still feels like a classic. Reasons that I'm not all the way for this? With each new release Nintendo attempts to put an entirely new spin, or way too much content, into the mix. My idea of a sequel is to try to carry over the fundamentals of the original title and reproduce them so that it's not entirely like a remake, but offers a new experience just the same. In other words, it has the same feel as the original but is still a new work on its own; not something that's been copied. I'd want Nintendo to give off that classical, sentimental atmosphere that I get when playing this supposed new title.

If a sequel eventually was released, heck yes, I'd love to try it out at least, regardless.

As for now, seeing that there's a remake of SM64, I must sample it first... ;/

Super Mario 3D Land has nothing to do with Super Mario 64 at all, so it's not a Sequal.

Vaati is correct, actually. Super Mario 3D Land =/= Super Mario 64 DS

SM64 DS isn't really a sequel, though. In essence, it's a remake of the Nintendo 64 graphics to the DS aesthetics, just like Ninty did with Ocarina of Time and its jump to the 3DS. Far as I can tell, the biggest difference is that SM64 DS has more playable characters. Other than that it's the equivalent to the N64 predecessor.

Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to save her, how does it have nothing to do with Mario 64?

Which is the basis for pretty much every Mario game in existence (minus the spin-offs, Luigi's Mansion, and others I might not be aware of).

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
I wouldn't really be for a direct sequel. Super Mario 64 provided the groundwork for the 3D Mario titles, and to this day it still feels like a classic. Reasons that I'm not all the way for this? With each new release Nintendo attempts to put an entirely new spin, or way too much content, into the mix. My idea of a sequel is to try to carry over the fundamentals of the original title and reproduce them so that it's not entirely like a remake, but offers a new experience just the same. In other words, it has the same feel as the original but is still a new work on its own; not something that's been copied. I'd want Nintendo to give off that classical, sentimental atmosphere that I get when playing this supposed new title.

If a sequel eventually was released, heck yes, I'd love to try it out at least, regardless.

As for now, seeing that there's a remake of SM64, I must sample it first... ;/

Vaati is correct, actually. Super Mario 3D Land =/= Super Mario 64 DS

SM64 DS isn't really a sequel, though. In essence, it's a remake of the Nintendo 64 graphics to the DS aesthetics, just like Ninty did with Ocarina of Time and its jump to the 3DS. Far as I can tell, the biggest difference is that SM64 DS has more playable characters. Other than that it's the equivalent to the N64 predecessor.

Which is the basis for pretty much every Mario game in existence (minus the spin-offs, Luigi's Mansion, and others I might not be aware of).

So your arguement is that Super Mario Land 3D is not a part of the Mario timeline?

So your arguement is that Super Mario Land 3D is not a part of the Mario timeline?

To be fair, the isn't an actual timeline. There may be games that connect to each other through obvious similarities, but there isn't enough to make one big timeline. for example I can't find a direct connection to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. I have always thought those two games are completely different with no clear indication that Sunshine is the sequal. Peach being Kidnapped by Bowser is not solid evidence since that has always been the plot in all Mario games except Spin-offs.

Last edited:

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
There's not a whole lot of connections to each of the FF games and yet there are the games considered sequels. And the MGS games, Zelda games, etc. Even with the lack of connection, they are still sequels. How easily we all forget that a Mario World 2 exists and yet question Mario Land 3D as to whether or not it belongs in the timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom