• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Suggestion - create an Animal Crossing sub forum in the gaming forum.

This would work just like the Pokémon. And SSB sub forums.

Why do we need it?
In my opinion there will be a lot of Animal Crossing chat in the future as it’s a popular IP and Switch game.
The current practice of cherry picking some Animal Crossing topics and moving them to the Animal Crossing group does not work because:

Very few actually use the groups in relation to our total active member base.
Having Animal Crossing chat more accessible would help the forum attract more members.
Members who actually contribute to the forums with Animal Crossing content and chat will then not have their topics buried away in a group very few people will use.
Animal Crossing is a popular enough IP to warrant its own sub forum.

Also having your topics moved and buried stops us wanting to further contribute to the forums. Why bother when our content is just buried?

We need to make content more accessible, not less accessible (which is what is happening right now)

Also similar topics related to other games are not being buried in this manner. Consistently please?

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The gaming groups are sub-forums essentially since the switch to Xenforo 2, they're just titled as "Groups". Messages are counted in the post count and messages appear in the shoutbox and new/latest posts as they come up.

I don't see the need for a permanent Animal Crossing sub-forum under general gaming but I think that perhaps it would be good to temporarily move trending games/series up to be placed under general gaming (including animal crossing at the moment) and then to be moved back to the gaming groups section once the activity dies down again.

It is impossible to treat every game consistently or we would have hundreds of sub forums. I don't think moving something to the Animal Crossing section is counted as burying at all, since as I said before it still appears in the latest posts and in the shoutbox.

Perhaps there should be a wider discussion on what groups are/aren't and what they should be. I don't think everyone is on the same page since the system was switched over and we should probably better clarify.

For example, should there be a distinction between a "Gaming Group" and just another subforum under General Gaming? I see we have both for Pokemon and Super Smash Bros but that seems pretty unnecessary to me. What's the distinction and should there even be one?

Should threads from general gaming be moved into a gaming group (where posts are still counted and threads still show up in the SB and new posts) for better categorisation where those groups exist? Why or why not?

It would be handy to hear from a bunch of people what gaming groups are in their mind and what they should or shouldn't be. Or if they're even necessary.

Last edited:
The gaming groups are sub-forums essentially since the switch to Xenforo 2, they're just titled as "Groups". Messages are counted in the post count and messages appear in the shoutbox and new/latest posts as they come up.

I don't see the need for a permanent Animal Crossing sub-forum under general gaming but I think that perhaps it would be good to temporarily move trending games/series up to be placed under general gaming (including animal crossing at the moment) and then to be moved back to the gaming groups section once the activity dies down again.

It is impossible to treat every game consistently or we would have hundreds of sub forums. I don't think moving something to the Animal Crossing section is counted as burying at all, since as I said before it still appears in the latest posts and in the shoutbox.

Perhaps there should be a wider discussion on what groups are/aren't and what they should be. I don't think everyone is on the same page since the system was switched over and we should probably better clarify.

For example, should there be a distinction between a "Gaming Group" and just another subforum under General Gaming? I see we have both for Pokemon and Super Smash Bros but that seems pretty unnecessary to me. What's the distinction and should there even be one?

Should threads from general gaming be moved into a gaming group (where posts are still counted and threads still show up in the SB and new posts) for better categorisation where those groups exist? Why or why not?

It would be handy to hear from a bunch of people what gaming groups are in their mind and what they should or shouldn't be. Or if they're even necessary.

I understand that Pokemon and Smash bros are huge which is why they're in the Gen Gaming forum as their own things, but others like Mario etc are big too and don't get that treatment.

Perhaps instead of having Smash and Pokemon in the Gen Gaming sub forum, it'd be best to move the gaming groups subforum there.

That way people can see they exist (because they're at the bottom of the forum right now) and perhaps they'd post there more.

Though I'm not sure if Xenforo 2 will let you move it there. But if it did that's what I'd do.

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Perhaps instead of having Smash and Pokemon in the Gen Gaming sub forum, it'd be best to move the gaming groups subforum there.

That way people can see they exist (because they're right at the bottom of the forum right now) and perhaps they'd post there more.

Though I'm not sure if Xenforo 2 will let you move it there. But if it did that's what I'd do.
This is possible. If enough people think that moving the gaming groups under general gaming is the better option then I’ll be able to make it happen.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I think having the gaming groups in general gaming would be great as it would make for better organization, after a bit of a clean up tho. Like deleting/ archiving or whatever, the groups that haven't seen activity in ages like Splatoon hasn't been touched since 2017 and some group 2018. They can always be remade if a new game comes out.

If that's possible to do, I feel that would be the best compromise . . . as long as they are properly enforced, so all such talk about a game is moved to it's relevant group. Inconsistency in moderating will destroy whatever decision is made on this.

I think having the gaming groups in general gaming would be great as it would make for better organization, after a bit of a clean up tho. Like deleting/ archiving or whatever, the groups that haven't seen activity in ages like Splatoon hasn't been touched since 2017 and some group 2018. They can always be remade if a new game comes out.
Another great idea. Maybe any gaming group with zero posting activity in 2 years (or whatever number you think of) gets archived and as said above, peopel can remake the group if a new game comes out.
Also moving the gaming groups to the front of the forums will help making the whole concept of gaming groups much more visible to the userbase here.

If moderated properly this would shrink the content going into the general gaming category as it'd be about general gaming only. Anything gaming specific . . . even topics like "what do you think about this new game" would be moved to their specific gaming group. Content like general gaming news, console hardware talk, event news, speedrunning news, event news etc etc would all still be in the general gaming category.

"If you want to talk about a game, do it in the group" That's a good idea.
I was only initially unhappy because of the inconsistency of it all. It felt RNG which topics, specifically about a game were moved to their relevant gaming group. Some were and some were not.

We can talk specifics, but I think what needs to happen is the moderators need to get together and decide what the direction for this part of the forum should be. Whatever they decide I think most people will be happy with . . . as long as it's implemented in a totally consistent way.

PS. I'm not against the gaming groups idea. The NL forums . . . well they do it slightly differently but the same core concept exists. Any talk about a game (on their forums) has to go in that game's specific topic. So there is not 50x different topics all about the same game clogging up the forums. Sure their moderators are very slow to merge/delete the duplicate topics (ie talk that wasa new topic, instead of said in the already existing topic) but the overall framework works very well. NL need to enforce it a little better and it'd be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom