• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

subtitles and TV failings

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
ok being deaf means I have to have subtitles on TV so I can follow whats happening, if the programme is live the subs are slow, that annoys me, but how would you deal with it and have you had any funny subtitles if you use them?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I can imagine it must be really annoying when the subtitles are slow, because you want to be watching at the same pace as everyone else. I don't use subtitles because I end up reading them instead of watching the action. I mean, I'm fine not being able to hear it in a way, but I'm not very good at reading and watching at the same time.

I can't think of any examples in particular that I've found funny, but I always find it hilarious when there's music or something in a show and the subtitles describe it like [sensual music] or something. I just find it comical, even when the scene is serious or intense.

InsomniacAttack

wtf did u say about me u little mcnuggit?
My ex-girlfriend insisted that we had the subtitles on whenever we watched TV even though she can hear perfectly well. I think she just liked having them because she could pay less attention to the TV and more to other things (her phone, me lol.) Sometimes for fun, I'll turn on the annotations on YouTube because often they're completely wrong and hilarious. I found a video I made for school a few years back and tried the auto-generated annotations and it was so wrong and so funny.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
yea one time me and dad were laughing cuase it said 'smirks' we're all 'how does that have a noise??'

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i prefer to watch things with subtitles b/c i'm a little hard of hearing and it makes it easier to hear what people are saying. One thing I've found interesting is that often the subtitles will give information that isn't available in the audio-visual queues, like the names of characters, or an alleged sound that the people watching it didn't hear themselves (ie: [ominous footsteps] when none of us could hear footsteps).

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I've been noticing lately that sometimes the subtitles tend to change or even just not include certain words that's being spoken
for instance, if the line is something like "They won't stop us this time.", the subtitle might instead read "They won't stop us now.", it's weird

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
In Sweden, anything that isn't in Swedish on TV is subtitled. Much prefer it that way over having it dubbed (like they often do in countries like Germany and Italy). It's actually great for learning languages passively.

D

Deleted member 90890

My hearing is fine. Rather, I think my ears are too keen.

Any background noise distracts me, especially when I'm watching TV. I'm also a very analog individual, and these digital interferences, feedbacks, or whatever they're called, are very annoying to me. I often find myself not understand over half of what's being said on the phone, in a voice chat, or even in a YouTube video.

If I were more cynical and naïve, I'd say to suck it up and learn to read lips, but just thinking this over for a few seconds makes one realize that this doesn't really help. Every individual has a different face, and in turn, a different pair of lips. Also, this doesn't work when someone is speaking in a language they're not fluent in, or not a native speaker of, in which case they'll often mispronounce words.

Regarding subtitles, I'm bilingual, and I've had to deal with several mistranslations between the two languages I'm fluent in. In one case, I was playing Modern Warfare 2., and you might be shocked (or not) to learn that the localization for this game was an absolute mess. In the most infamous case, "No Russian" was translated to "Kill them, they're Russians." These sorts of mistranslations/misinterpretations really create an itch within me that can't be scratched, and this is why I tend to stick to whichever language the media is native with, if possible.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm very fortunate and glad that my hearing is fine. Perhaps too good. If comes the time I lose my ability to hear, however, I'd be forced to use subtitles, since these are the best and at the moment the only option.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Watching anime with subtitles can be frustrating when you notice the translation is wrong or does not quite convey the true feeling of what was said.

In terms of accessibility subtitles on live television, the ones I have seen in Australia are often awfully slow and often incorrect. With all the technology we have nowadays I'd have thought that surely they could be much more improved by now. No doubt these will improve into the future but hopefully it won't be too long until they're nearly perfect since they are pretty important for a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom