• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Subs or Dubs?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
When you are ever watching a foreign movie or something like that, do you prefer subtitles, or dubs?

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Personally I prefer dubs. When I'm watching TV or a movie it's usually just background noise while I'm usually catching up with coursework, on my phone or reading, I dont have the attention span for subs (ironically).

NintendoCN

Team Captain
It really depends, I usually prefer dubs, but all the best anime are only available subbed, so I could go either way.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I go for subs. I like to experience the film or anime in its original language as that is the way it was intended to be experienced.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
If its a film (with real people), I'd prefer subtitles. Dubbed movies are just way too clearly dubbed and it creates a disconnect for me when I hear someone's voice coming out of someone else.
For anime though, I like it dubbed so much more. Subtitles make watching an effort, when I usually watch shows to relax or for background noise while I do other things.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
It depends on how good the dub is. A sub is always a good functional choice, but a dub can either strengthen or (usually) ruin the experience.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I prefer dubs. I know for a fact subs are better, but my borderline ADHD makes it hard for me to focus on the subs. I just get too distracted because my brain likes to multitask.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I prefer to watch the dub if available, unless the dub is just really bad. I can get more into it when its in a language I can understand without needing subtitles. Dubs in general are not as bad as people make them out to be, unless theyre not localized and use honorifics in english. No thanks.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Subs for sure. I hate dubs. I'm dutch so having everything dubbed in dutch is ....gruesome. I always use english subs. I don't even need them because I understand english (and german) very well, but not everything is in english, so subs! Even japanese or russian must be subbed in english!

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Dubs for sure. I can actually understand what's going on. If I wanted to read I'd pick up a book.

Kirino

Tatakae
In almost all cases, subs. I find them closer to the original experience and usually of better quality, and they help when I have to keep quiet due to people being around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom