• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Submarines and Hyrule

(I'm new here, so i might be doing something wrong).
any way, i was wondering :hmm: how the subs in WW dont find the hyrule under water. my idea is that sub techology at the time was new and the can't go that deep.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
(I'm new here, so i might be doing something wrong).
any way, i was wondering :hmm: how the subs in WW dont find the hyrule under water. my idea is that sub techology at the time was new and the can't go that deep.

Well I'm no moderator but I can tell you this thread sorta shouldn't exist.

It's obvious that the subs aren't able to travel that deep under water and obviously they never found Old Hyrule.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Well, for one point, any Submarine like technology could not have existed, so they could not have delved deep enough into the ocean to find Hyrule.

Also, I'm not aware of any submarines in Wind Waker, maybe i'm mistaken.
Feel free to correct me.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I don't see a problem with this thread. It's asking a legitimate question. And yes, there were submarines in TWW. They were based on barrels that were somewhat submerged in the water.

I would have to say that yes, they probably couldn't go too deep into the water since they were essentially barrels. I would initially think they would leak a bit, but there was wooden boats, so it's possible they were air tight. I think the main problem would be that they probably couldn't withstand the pressure of going too deep.

The other thing is, they were enemy subs. So, even if they could get to old Hyrule, then they'd probably be down there trying to pillage it. Although I don't know how they'd exit the sub to gather rupees or what have you... Barrel-based diving suits?

Thanks for bringing up submarines as bing in Zelda! Along with the bazooka in Twilight Princess, that's 2 World War inventions in the series. And here everyone is hung up on the idea of a steam train that pre-dates both... But that's for another thread! ;)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
.... I thought the first submarines appeared during the American Civil War and were essentially barrels with some kind of breathing apparuatus and were used to sabotage ships (for people to sneak up under ships and put holes in them and the like). I think they were in use by the Confederacy, but I'm not certain, and no, they couldn't go very deep. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing something like that on the History Channel or somewhere...

In Wind Waker, there is also Salvage Corp. and they're supposedly good-to-neutral guys, just guys out looking for treasure.

In any case, I don't think WW's sumbarine technology is advanced enough to deep enough to find the sunken Hyrule, and if it was, Hyrule is probably somehow hidden by whatever barrier keeps it in its stasis beneath the waves. After all, it was only revealed to Link after he prooved himself worthy before the gods at the Tower of the Gods, so I don't think the powers that be would just let anybody see it. (Ganondorf being an evil exception because he has the Triforce of Power which lets him do much of what he wants).

.... I thought the first submarines appeared during the American Civil War and were essentially barrels with some kind of breathing apparuatus and were used to sabotage ships (for people to sneak up under ships and put holes in them and the like). I think they were in use by the Confederacy, but I'm not certain, and no, they couldn't go very deep. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall seeing something like that on the History Channel or somewhere...

i was just about to post that! another idea i had was that hyrule is protected by a magic barrier that stops water, along with subs from entering.
man this is an active forum this thread has only ben up for a couple hours and is already got a bunch of replies. anyways thanks for your answers guys

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I don't think the question is whether or not the submarines they have would be able to reach it. I think the question is whether or not the sunken Hyrule can be found at all, regardless of submarine technology. In case you don't remember, Hyrule is surrounded by a huge bubble during The Wind Waker, which is why Link, Zelda, the King, and Ganondorf can all breathe down there. (When the King makes his wish for Hyrule to be flooded at the end, the bubble disappears and water comes down in torrents.)

Pay close attention to this scene (Go to 1:20): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnPe6Zu9q9M We see Link starting to drown, but suddenly he can breathe, once he passes through the bubble. Then he sees Hyrule Castle. So, it's possible that the bubble not only keeps out the ocean, but prevents anyone outside from seeing what's inside. Besides the fact, wooden submarines probably can't stand the pressure from going that deep.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I don't think the question is whether or not the submarines they have would be able to reach it. I think the question is whether or not the sunken Hyrule can be found at all, regardless of submarine technology. In case you don't remember, Hyrule is surrounded by a huge bubble during The Wind Waker, which is why Link, Zelda, the King, and Ganondorf can all breathe down there. (When the King makes his wish for Hyrule to be flooded at the end, the bubble disappears and water comes down in torrents.)

Pay close attention to this scene (Go to 1:20): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnPe6Zu9q9M We see Link starting to drown, but suddenly he can breathe, once he passes through the bubble. Then he sees Hyrule Castle. So, it's possible that the bubble not only keeps out the ocean, but prevents anyone outside from seeing what's inside. Besides the fact, wooden submarines probably can't stand the pressure from going that deep.

I never noticed that. Although when the king makes his wish the bubble probably doesn't burst completly but makes little holes in it causing the 'rain'.

And probably isn't the right thing to say about the wooden submarines. They definatly can't survive the pressure of going that deep into the water.

Only magic allowed Link and the King of Red Lions to travel down into Hyrule. It's possible that magic literally prevents travel to the bottom of the sea otherwise. Since the water floats above Hyrule, it's likely that it's impossible to pass that threshold, the one separating the water and the air, without magic.

Thanks for bringing up submarines as bing in Zelda! Along with the bazooka in Twilight Princess, that's 2 World War inventions in the series. And here everyone is hung up on the idea of a steam train that pre-dates both... But that's for another thread! ;)
Bazooka? In Twilight Princess? Where? How? o_O

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Bazooka? In Twilight Princess? Where? How? o_O

At the end of the game, when the resistance group comes to Hyrule Castle to aid Link. There's an explosion on one of the stone bridges, and after the camera pans down to the group, Auru can be seen holding a smoking bazooka on his shoulder. It's only there for a moment, but it is indeed there! :)

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
...this thread holds a good point, but as people said, I don't think wooden barrels could hold up against the pressure of deep water. And again, I don't think you could get inside that barrier without magic, I mean heck, look what happens when you try to get out of the little one around Hyrule Castle. Unless they strenghtened the sub with magic and went diving after the end of WW... that's cool to imagine...

And rofl, I know, I find it hilarious how people fuss over steam trains when there's subs, bazookas and even plans for a SPACE ROCKET in MM's bomb shop. But old Auru wielding a bazooka always made me smile, idk why. It seemed just like him to pull some irrelevant technology from nowhere to save you, he always was the mysterious type... :3

Megamannt125

Blue Link
Wow that's ironic, I was listening to Yellow Submarine by the Beatles and saw this topic.
Now then, ON topic, they might only be able to stay afloat over the water, we only see them on top of the water, maybe they haven't invented the right technology yet, I mean wood floats, how would they get underwater anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom