• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sub or Dub?

Do you prefer to watch Subbed or Dubbed Anime?

• Total voters

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I bring up this topic because I know some people who watch anime and are very adamant about only watching anime in their original version with subtitles added. Their argument is that when a show is re-dubbed for a foreign audience the dialog has to be changed in order to be lip synced properly. I understand the argument but for me personally I don't care about getting a "pure" experiences I just want to watch anime without having to pause or rewind whenever people are talking too fast for me to read.

When a show either has no dub or it's not easy to find a dubbed version of a show I am happy to watch it subbed. Recently I've happily opted to watch shows like Code Geass with subtitles instead of in English, but I still prefer to watch dubs more often.

So what is your opinion on this? What is your relationship to subs and/or dubs.

Last edited:
To be honest, while I usually watch only subs these days, the people who adamantly argue "subs, not dubs" irritate me. They argue that the culture is stripped when they dub it into a different language, English voice acting sucks, etc etc, but I never really agreed with any of that (some English dubs could use work though). I don't watch anime to learn a about a different culture; I watch anime to be entertained. If they're so concerned with getting a "pure" experience, then I would argue the subs interfere with that experience as well.

In fact, it's almost a shame to watch anime subbed because then your attention is taken away from the animation and is all focused on the little words on the bottom of the screen--and some animation really deserves your full attention. I've noticed while rewatching animes without the subs or in dubs that there were a lot of details I missed because I was so focused on reading.

My two cents. :P

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I watch subs when they're available and dubs when they're available. There are a lot more good dubs out there than people think, though I have come across a lot of horrible ones. There are some shows I refuse to watched subbed, like Baccano!, because the dub is so amazing. I love laughing at elitists who think they're so great for only watching subs. Those people sound so ridiculous.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I usually prefer dubs over subs. I'm a multitasker, so if I can have a light-hearted anime playing while I clean, I prefer to know what the characters are talking about without having to stay and read the whole thing. If the anime is particularly detailed and action-y, I still prefer to dub more often than not, so I can pay attention to the animation and not have to focus on reading. I think subs are great, too, but I don't think they're always better than the dub period. I think both are worth watching, it just depends on what you're looking to get out of the experience.

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
It honestly depends on which I start first. If I am really into a series that is dubbed and it turns subbed half way, I might wait for an english version to come out. If I start it I stick with it till it's through in whatever language it's in. I make very few exceptions, but I'm fine with either one.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I watch dub when I can, I never understood why people are like, "Le sigh, english dubs are just HORRIBLE, the japanese version is better." And I'm like, "You don't even speak Japanese, how would you know? For all you know, their dub could be terrible and ours could be great."

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
I used to be into Dub, and only Dub, when I started watching Anime. It was just so much better to be able to watch in it a language I know. But that started to change later, and I perferred Sub. I don't know what changed, it just felt...better. More authentic, for some reason.

Healbot884

Founder of the Church of Tingle.
I prefer subbed anime over dubbed anime. For some reason dubbed anime doesn't sound very good to me. The dialogue often sounds cheesy and poorly written. I know not all dubbed anime is like this but a lot of it is.

I watch the subtitled ones, mainly because I fully understand Japanese. No offense to anyone, but the voice actors for anime tend to sound rather unnatural, whether they be in Japanese or English, but more for the latter.

It kind of depends what anime I'm watching, if it's really light hearted and I'm just watching it casually, like I did with K-on! I'll watch it dubbed, but if it's an anime I want to be serious about, I'll usually watch the sub. Except if I fall in love with a certain character's voice in the Dub, like I did with L in Death note and Rintarou in Steins;Gate.
Edit: Also I'm learning Japanese, so I might pick up a few words along the way if I watch subs, and I just like the sound of Japanese.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Dubtitles. I don't like reading subs because then I spend all my time reading the words, and it's easier to miss stuff. If it's not dubbed I'd be willing to watch it, but I prefer dubs to subs.

It's all about the subs. I know Japanese but there are some big science words that they'll spit out from time to time so it helps to look at the subtitles.

There are some good dubs, though. I think FMA Brotherhood was the best dub I heard. Haven't heard much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom