• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sub-Atomic Particles :D

So...

In nature, exact copies of things are rare, right? No two zebras have the same stripes, no two snowflakes are exactly alike, etc. Even if you looked at hugely zoomed-in images of grains of sand, you wouldn't expect two of them to be identical, right? People try and find ways to create mass quantities of the same thing, and we can be largely successful (think: legos), but even then there is still SOME difference between each object.

Now look at sub-atomic particles--electrons, let's say. Why is it that, to the best of our knowledge, every single electron (and the number of electrons in the universe is beyond mind-boggling) is exactly the same size and has exactly the same charge? Why is it that, to the best of our knowledge, there are only a few different types of sub-atomic particles within a certain size range? Wouldn't you expect to find the same sort of natural chaos we experience day-to-day on a smaller level? If you think of the universe as a whole bunch (and I mean A WHOLE BUNCH) of sub-atomic particles that are combined and arranged in different ways, it looks like a lego creation. Made out of IDENTICAL legos. The fact that sub-atomic particles come in groups of identical particles suggests that order is more prevalant in the universe than chaos, considering how many identical electrons, etc., there are in the universe vs. how many non-identical grains of sand, etc., there are.

???

Thoughts? Comments?

I love science. It makes my brain explode :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom