• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Study Habits

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
We've all gone to school, many of us still are in some form or another.

What were/are your study habits like? Did you break things up and do a little work every night? Or were you a chronic procrastinator?

I normally wait til the last reasonable minute for an assignment and pull an all nighter to complete the work. I feel like I work well under pressure and despite efforts to not do this, I can never muster the focus to complete work in a manageable fashion.

When i was at uni i found the topic in the semester i wanted to do my essay on and did reading on my own and framed an essay until the lecture came up and then I'd put what I'd learned there with what I collected myself and hand it in very quickly.

The best times were when the topics i was interested in came early in the semester, so my essays were done way early most of the time so I had nothing to worry about.

As for revision for exams in the likes of secondary school etc, I'd learn by repetition, just kept doing it and doing it and doing it until it stuck.

Ninja

Well well well
Adderall, coffee, and all nighters, name a better trio.

Just kidding. Lots of flash cards, memorization, and practice tests work best for me.

I never studied for most of my life because I'm really good at retaining information, so when it actually came time in like my junior and senior years where studying was actually necessary, I had no idea how to study. I sort of resorted to memorization by phrases, especially with anatomy. Memorize all the carpals and tarsals in the order that I'll have to list them to the point that my brain will subconsciously recall the next one without me having to think.

For assignments, I'm a huge procrastinator. Well, that's not entirely true. Most of my high school career, I didn't do my homework at all. For some reason, already knowing the material (again I retain information well), makes me feel like it's too much effort to do exercises on it. I have like a lot of motivational issues so I just didn't do my homework half the time. For papers and stuff, yeah, procrastination. Hell, I procrastinated doing the leisurely things I intended to do while procrastinating too. I'm fortunately a relatively strong impromptu essay writer, but it's still a matter of finding the focus and energy to actually work on it.

Reactions: Dio

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
When I was younger I was a huge procrastinator, but now that I'm older and wiser, when something that I need to do gets in the way of what I want to do, I hurry up and get what I need done first before I can do what I want to do.

I look at it this way, if I want to do something, but an excuse is stopping me from doing what I want, I eliminate that excuse.

For example, tomorrow, I want to have a lazy day playing guitar and video games, but the excuses preventing me from doing that are school and the gym. Thus, I eliminate those excuses and do what I want.

Note, that the word eliminate doesn't mean ignore or put off. No. In my mind, an excuse is only eliminated when you actually do something to get rid of the excuse.

Whenever I want to do something, I ask myself, "What are my excuses for not doing it?" I find those excuses, take care of them and eliminate them, that way I can do what I want.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I'd always try to work in a bit of it during my free time when I was at school. Having some dedicated "study areas" also sort of helped, as I found studying in my bed in my room to be a bit of a struggle. My best trick was sort sensory recall? I don't remember the proper term, but I would often study with music on in the background that had been stuck in my head for days, so that when I inevitably thought about the song, I could remember the information easier. People will often do this with certain flavors of pop, gum, and other items that you can have when you actually take tests; those flavors that you had while studying could help you remember during an exam.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I never studied for most of my life because I'm really good at retaining information, so when it actually came time in like my junior and senior years where studying was actually necessary, I had no idea how to study. I sort of resorted to memorization by phrases, especially with anatomy. Memorize all the carpals and tarsals in the order that I'll have to list them to the point that my brain will subconsciously recall the next one without me having to think.
I was like this also. I didn't study at all until I was 16-17 when we in England do our A Levels. A level stands for 'Ard. These are the hardest things you have to do and there was nothing to prepare me because everything that came before was so easy. A levels are so much more difficult than University. You can just do assignments last minute there and I always did. But you can't get away with that in A levels.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
It's been awhile since I've been in university, so I haven't had to study in a long time, lol. Back in high school (and the beginning of university) I'd more or less just study by cramming everything in the day before and manage high marks. But I ended up going more hardcore into studying the deeper into university I got, since I realized I couldn't just do a one day cram and get high marks anymore. Ended up studying weeks ahead, breaking apart the entire course into segments, and study a segment a day, slowly ramping up until the day before the final, so that way I'd have gone through the course multiple times and my weird memory would remember most of it. For the most part, when I was studying, I'd just need to be by myself, in my room, with nothing on to distract me and almost complete silence. That's how I was able to do my best when studying. Only sucky part is that I'd stay up way into the night to try and get everything in, so I wasn't as rested as I needed to be heading into the exam.

As for things like assignments, I often procrastinated and did it last minute, though the deeper I got into university the earlier I did them (though I'd still be working on them up until the last possible minute, lol). Often managed to get good marks on them thanks to 11th hour magic, though.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I generally procrastinate until the last possible moment and then do something when I absolutely have to. Things so far, even through the 80% of university I've completed (one more year to go), have always worked out just fine so I get I work well under pressure. I never take notes in classes and before an exam I just read over the lecturer's slides.

The only thing I really study a lot is Japanese since you can't really leave that to the last minute and that's an ongoing thing you need to constantly keep at to improve.

I used to re-write my class notes every evening into a formal template that I had developed to take my scribbled notes into something I could synthesize. Sometimes I use computer network assignment help to save time and get good grades. I think it's certainly ok to use a little help additionally.

Last edited:
Looks like I've got some good company here because I've always been a terrible procrastinator as well. There were 2-3 times during university where I stayed up all night to finish a chemistry report. I'm better at studying for tests than doing assignments, though. If it was for an easy class like psychology, I only needed to start studying a day or two beforehand, but for chemistry, I always started studying a week in advance.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I come from school at 1600 hrs have a good long nap until 1800 hrs. And weigh down on my books till 0300 hrs and pass out. I'm kinda nocturnal man. I catch up with my sleep at school during the Biology hour :p
Maths :
I look into the example problems and start solving the Exercise problems
Physics:
^_^ I listen the theory carefully at school so that I don't have to read it again. And practice lotsa numericals at home
Chemistry:
Ugghh my second least favourite subject. I mug up organic chemistry to an extent that I'm sure I would pass the tests.
I take notes for inorganic chemistry (better and more interesting than organic chemistry)
Biology:
My least favourite subject
:kawaii: I-I mug up those useless info about **** and make sure I forget it after exam.
English:
:right:
So that's my course
Hope this helps ♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom