• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Studio Ghibli

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
idk if there's already a thread about this, but i didn't see anything so i decided to go ahead and make one.
Ok so studio Ghibli was like my childhood, the only anime i ever really saw, and i absolutely loved it. I only even saw like 5 of the films at that time, but it was still like my favorite. Just recently i have gotten into it again, starting with the classics, Princess Mononoke, Spirited away, My neighbor totoro, etc. I still haven't seen all of them, but i want to. What are your thoughts on studio ghibli?

also this can be used as a thread for general discussion on studio ghibli

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Once upon a time, I used to like Studio Ghibli movies. I saw my first Ghibli movie when I was in year seven and that was Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away) and I really liked it. Since then I have seen nearly every movie I was able to, the last one being when Gake no Ue no Ponyo was released on DVD (as I will not watch anime dubbed if I can help it). My favourite one though was Gedo Senki (Tales From Earthsea) though it's now been many years since I last saw it and I don't remember why it was my favourite.

Studio Ghibli is often referred to as "The Japanese Disney" which I find to be a very apt description. Ghibli movies are very bright, colourful and cheerful. Over the years I've developed a preference for much darker themes in the content that I watch than the Studio Ghibli movies can offer and I've found myself not enjoying them as much as I once did.

And on a very unrelated note, I have always wondered why, in English, it is spelled as "Ghibli" when in Japanese it is spelled as ジブリ (Jiburi) because "Ghi" and "Ji" are not pronounced the same at all.

Djinn

and Tonic
I really love their take on folklore based stories which have always been am interest of mine. They do a really good job of portraying the original style of fairy tale storytelling without the Disneyfication process making everything perfectly sunny and positive. Yet their movies are not all that negative anyway. Even their lesser known stuff like Pm Poko is really good.

I think the only thing they made that I never really got into was their version of a Wizard of Earthsea, but that might just be the source material not work out through film adaptations. A few have tried it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom