• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Stuck in ALTTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tsukasa112

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could lend me a hand? I recently started playing ALTTP for the first time, and so far I am loving it. I am absolutely terrible at 2D Zelda games, I suck at dodging attacks, attacking enemies, etc, So I'm pretty amazed I've made it this far. I'm at the Darkness Palace, struggling against the boss. Now, I know how to beat the boss (My only problem is dodging his attacks), my main problem is one of the rooms before the boss. The room with a whole bunch of turtles, that you can't pass through until you beat. After losing to the boss and navigating my way back there so many times, i've got it down and am able to take almost no damage in getting to the boss, until that one room. The problem is, I Generally have no magic power from going downstairs to turn the anti fairies into fairies, so I can't light the torches, and so far I haven't run into many magic recovery items on my way back, but other then not having any light in the room, I Just have trouble fighting all the turtles.

I knock them over, start attacking them, but more come. So I knock them over, which knocks the other turtles back on their feet, making this really hard for me to do with my lack of skill, I've tried using the hammer to one-hit kill them, but then that just knocks over the one's around it giving me more trouble. So I ask you guys. Any tips, at all for this? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

MW7

Have you tried using the hammer to flip them, then using the sword to finish them off? That might be a little helpful, but really the best advice I can give you is to try to take them out one by one slowly. Just pick out the ones that are the furthest away from the others and attack them first and focus on not getting hit by the others. Always keep in mind that no enemy can move diagonally and try to leave yourself some open space to escape to so that they can't surround you.

The boss doesn't seem to worry you too much, but try to use bombs as well as the hammer because you can throw bombs and keep out of the bosses way.

Also make sure that you have all the bottles. I'm guessing at most you have 3 right and if you don't you should try to find them and looking up any walkthrough could help you find them. I'm also 95% sure that once you get the hammer you can get the 4th bottle as well but it's pretty tricky. It involves using a warp in the woods north of kakariko to get to the town earlier than you technically should and then you go to the smithy's shop in the dark world and pick up a chest. You then go to the light world and bring the chest to the thief standing in the screen that connects the desert and the swamp in the lower left hand corner of the map.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I think you need the ability to lift those black rocks to get the fourth bottle, I could be wrong though, the rest of what MW7 is correct to my knowledge :)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Personally, I think you should try to get them into a cluster, flip them all over, and get them a shot of the Ether Medallion (you get it by reading the Hylian tablet to the west of the Tower of Hera in the Light World). That should finish most of them off pretty easily. You could also try to get them all into a cluster and hit them with your sword a few times. Less time effective, but it can definitely get the job done.

Another really good thing to do would be to go back and collect a few Heart Containers and pick up some Blue (or Red if you don't have the Rupees) Potion. Alternatively, scooping up Fairies can help if you can't manage to get to your Potion in time since they'll automatically revive you.

And some tips for the boss would be to run diagonally whenever he opens his mouth and always stay to the left, or right of the fireballs (or up/down) so you can avoid them when they split off. If I recall correctly, actually, the first fireball splits into three (stay to the left or right of that one) and then the others split into four, so you'll want to be up and off to the side of the top fireball and above one of the fireballs to the side.

Spin attacks are a pretty good way to get Helmasaur down on health once you've got his mask chipped off, as is the Hammer. I haven't used Bombs myself, but it couldn't hurt to try one or two of them. My personal favorite method of getting Helmasaur down on HP is using the Bow. It's a bit tricky if you don't have the timing right, but if you pull it off you'll be golden. After all, having range on the Helmasaur can really help with avoiding his fireballs.

Also make sure you're not too far away from him, otherwise you could end up getting smacked by his tail which, I believe, hurts quite a bit. Try to keep a healthy balance between being away from the wall and away from Helmasaur. About half-way between should do.

Hope this helped. ;)

Also, you'll need the Titan's Mitt in order to get the fourth bottle (which you get from the Town of Thieves or whatever which you can't access yet).

MW7

I think you need the ability to lift those black rocks to get the fourth bottle, I could be wrong though, the rest of what MW7 is correct to my knowledge :)

Ok yeah thanks for pointing that out. I checked and there are black rocks blocking the smithy's house in the dark world. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Also, you'll need the Titan's Mitt in order to get the fourth bottle (which you get from the Town of Thieves or whatever which you can't access yet).

For the sake of clarity I'd like to point out that the thieve's town is accessible as soon as you have the magic hammer. It's complicated: you have to go into the forest through Kakariko in the light world on the far left then loop around to the area that is also reached by Kakariko on the right. If you went straight from Kakariko, you would be stopped by a black rock but since you went through the forest you just have to hammer a post. You then lift up the grey rock, step into the dark world warp, go back around to Kakariko through the far left entrance in the forest and you're able to reach the Thieve's Town early.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom