• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Strangest Foods Willingly Eaten?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
That's difficult to answer, because "strange" is relative to your idea of "normal." Are we using an American definition of normal? A Japanese definition? A European one? An African one?

I guess I'll assume we're using the American definition. By that definition, I would say Sushi (raw fish) and Calamari (squid) are the strangest things I've eaten.

But a Japanese person wouldn't think it was strange to eat Sushi, and an Italian person wouldn't find Calamari a strange thing to eat.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Oh yeah... Strange foods are my type!

Since were Weirdness, I'll use America's Normal Definition of Weird or Peculiar. The strangest thing i've eaten was Swift-let Bird Nest Soup. It was kinda weird and kinda interesting but it sure was Tasty. I have eaten other things as well, some of them.... uh... you WILL find disgusting:

Lechon (whole roasted pig)
Longganisa (Philippine sausage, Usally made from Pigs, Cows, Carabaos,Chickens and Ducks)
Tapa (cured beef)
Torta(omelette)
Balut (fertilized chicken or Duck egg)
Isdang Paksiw (Fish cooked in Vinegar)
Adobo (chicken and/or pork braised in Garlic, Soy Sauce, and Vinegar or cooked until dry)
Kaldereta (goat mixed in tomato stew)
Mechado (beef or pork cooked in tomato sauce)
Pochero (beef in bananas and tomato sauce)
Afritada (pork or beef simmered in a tomato sauce with vegetables)
Kare-Kare (Oxtail and vegetables cooked in Peanut Butter or Peanut Sauce)
Crispy Pata (deep-fried pig's leg)
Hamonado (pork sweetened in pineapple sauce)
Sinigang(pork, fish, or shrimp in Tamarind stew)
Pancit (stir-fried noodles, It's Like Yakisoba in Japan)
Inihaw na Palaka (Basically a frog caught, tied up and roasted on open Fire, Usually eaten when camping)

Some of them are considered Taboo in your place(meaning It is very very very weird to be seen eating it) Some are just Peculiar, And these foods are the Philippine Cuisine. So basically They are weird, How? It is weird on how the way you cook them.

Western Foreigners usually come here to taste the Cuisine and explore the Philippines, but I see them avoiding some foods because they look "Icky" or "Disgusting" or "Too exotic", and they just go for the sites, i say Taste the food you will love it! Except balut, This is the only thing i have yet to see being eaten by a foreigner, since it's a Dish of a fertilized Duck or Chicken Egg. :P

Last edited:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Strangest relative to my experience - sea urchin.

I taught English in Japan for a couple years and it was served at a dinner. It looked like a small spiked ball that had an open, fleshy center. I was just thinking, "Hmm, interesting presentation" when one of the Japanese teachers leaned over at me mischievously and said, "It's alive."

At which point I stared at it and sure enough, the spikes were moving. My face was like this: o_O

I did try to eat it but ended up having to pass it on to one of the other teachers who actually liked it, heh.

NES

Awesome
Hmm, where to start. I'm not really sure what to classify as weird. I've had pickled cactus before. It's pretty disgusting. It's basically the insides of a cactus deep fried and pickled. Pretty gross. I've also had rattlesnake and squirrel meat, which was alright. Also, when my aunt moved back from Japan, she brought me this octopus tentacle candy... thing.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
lol i've ate some pretty crazy stuff in my day.. EGGS AND SYRUP, yukk! actually i thought it was a pancake and the syrup was right there... i couldn't tell the difference until after it was all gone and someone told me.Then I was all like DANG!

Well, the foods I eat aren't weird to me, but do seem so to other people. Kimchi, is often seen as weird. Its cabbage that's fermented, not to mention you can also have others, like radish and cucumber. I just don't see why this people think this is weird, though. A cucumber is fermented to get a pickle, and a lot of the people that I know who thought kimchi is weird enjoy pickles.

Another thing is that I learned that my mom has tried dog before. She said she didn't like it, and I'm glad she doesn't. I've never tried any, and I never will.

CZG

Cheese, man! Cheese!
What's up with that? It's horrible!

It's about the strangest thing I have ever eaten in my life, stranger than soap...
We all know that soap actually shouldn't be eaten. Still, they recommand cheese pretty much everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom