• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Story What?

Valexi

Hylian Thief
As some of you may know, I'm currently on a mission to get 100% and play/replay all Zelda games in a row.
Having gotten 100% on LoZ, I'm moving on to AoL, which I've never played before.
The level up system is different, but it was something I was anticipating, but overall I've seen the death screen about 50 times in the first 30 minutes of playing.
Annnnywhooo, I like to read the story before playing games, since most older games required you to read the game booklet to get any sort of story.
So, I looked up the story that ZD has graciously provided [here], and I have to say, I'm a little baffled.
I think I have a grasp on it, but I'm not quite sure.
Stop me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it:

So, many years after the events of LoZ, Link went on to do the things he does when he's not fighting evil (nothing).
MEANWHILE, crazy stuff happens in the kingdom. The King died, and the prince who was supposed to be king next couldn't be king because, uh-oh, no complete Triforce.
The Triforce of Power and Wisdom are there, but no Courage.
The only one who knows the location of the Triforce of Courage is Zelda, who refused to tell the prince for some unknown reason.
Suddenly, evil magical magician.
So, this Magician wants the Triforce because, hey, everyone wants it, so he tells the prince that he better get Zelda to talk or else he'll put her in an eternal sleep. Scared, the prince tries again to get Zelda to tell him where the last piece is, but, still no talky.
The Magician gets angry and finds them, and tries to put Zelda to sleep. The prince fights the Magician, but he's not very good at fighting and the Magician casts the spell anyway. Zelda falls into the cursed spot and falls asleep. Kind of counter productive, since now she can't tell anyone the location anymore.
After this happens, the Magician dies for no reason. (I'm going to assume because he used too much energy putting Zelda to sleep.)
So, now the prince is sad for his sister and puts her in his room and a spell is put on the door, and only Impa knows how to open it.
So the prince decided that no one should forget these events; and declared that all female babies born in the castle will now be named Zelda (See: Robin Williams).
So, after all this happens, Link gets the Triforce symbol on the back of his hand (like always), and decides to go to Impa and ask her what it means.
Impa sees it, gets a mini-heartattack, recovers, and takes Link to The Door That Does Not Open. She presses the back of his hand to the door, and, yey!, it opens.
Inside is Zelda, still sleeping. Impa explains how she got put to sleep, bringing Link up to speed.
Impa then gives Link 6 crystals and a scroll, and says that they were passed down for when the next great king will appear (apparently, that wasn't the prince). The scroll was written by.....someone....(Zelda? The King?), and couldn't be read by anyone, but apparently Link can read it because he's awesome and is the future holder of the Triforce of Courage (yey!).
The scroll basically says: "If you can read this, you're super awesome and the possible future holder of the ToC. There's three Triforces, and they are pretty powerful when they're put together. I hid the ToC because there's bad people out there, and only a pure, courageous person should be able to obtain it. Since I haven't found this person yet, I think I'll make it really hard to get the ToC. I put a spell on the entire kingdom, and once the person that's pure enough to obtain the ToC appears, a symbol will show on the back of his hand so that he'll know he's the one. Oh, and if the Triforce is used by a bad person bad things will happen. The Triforce is hidden in Death Mountain, but before that you have to go beat up monsters and put these 6 crystals in 6 statues. No pressure, you can totally do this. Oh...and you're the beacon of hope for all Hyrule. No pressure."
So, Impa starts begging Link to get the ToC, because she feels that the completed Triforce will wake Zelda back up via magic. Link agrees, ADVENTURE!
MEANWHILE, IN THE GANON FAN CLUB: "....we have to kill Link so we can gather his blood and sprinkle it on Ganons dead ashes to bring him back to life."

Is that about right?
Correct me on anything that I'm wrong about, but that's how I interpreted it.
Question: Was the scroll written by Zelda, the king, or an older ancestor? Since the story seems to imply that the complete Triforce was needed to be king, I assumed the scroll was written by the last king.
Oh, and the scroll mentions that a spell was put on Hyrule, so that when someone awesome enough to get the Triforce of Courage comes of age, he'll get the mark on the back of his hand.
Are we to assume that this spell is still in place, and thus the reason that Link always has the Triforce on the back of his hand, or is that craziness?

Thanks for your time if you bothered the read that whole text wall.
:)

I think that's about right... although I do agree that the description in the booklet is VERY confusing. I thought that the Prince hired the Evil Magician to try to scare Zelda into talking... which would make the Prince evil. Not sure if that's true, but it's just how I interpreted that part. I also have no idea why the Magician dies... or why Zelda refuses to talk (that's where I got that the Prince is evil, that's the only reason I can think of as to why Zelda wouldn't tell him where the ToC is).
I don't have answers for your other questions, but I think the other Links bear the Triforce symbols on their hands because they actually have the ToC, but I'm not 100% on that. I don't know for certain whether each Link has the mark while he possesses the ToC in all the games or not because I've only actually played a few games. That's what I thought though.

Z

ZifziTheGreat

You got it pretty much right, but what I interpreted is a lot different from that. The story with the Prince and Zelda and the Magician etc. is a story from a LONG time ago. 100s of years later, Link saves the present Zelda from Ganon, but then Impa asks him to save the centuries old sleeping Zelda because he has the Triforce Mark. So the only change to your story is that Zelda wasn't put to sleep while Link was away, she is a completely different Zelda from 100s of years ago.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
@KickinBird: Ah, thanks :D
But, I don't know, from what I read it seems like the Magician was "close to the king," but with malicious intent, rather than hired by the prince.
I suppose you could be right about the triforce-hand part, but that's just the first thought that popped into my head after I read it :p

@ZifziTheGreat: Is there text in the story that supports that?
I'm just trying to figure out the just of the story on hand, rather than theories :eek:

You got it pretty much right, but what I interpreted is a lot different from that. The story with the Prince and Zelda and the Magician etc. is a story from a LONG time ago. 100s of years later, Link saves the present Zelda from Ganon, but then Impa asks him to save the centuries old sleeping Zelda because he has the Triforce Mark. So the only change to your story is that Zelda wasn't put to sleep while Link was away, she is a completely different Zelda from 100s of years ago.

That's actually a really good theory and would sure explain a whole lot! But unfortunately, I don't know of any evidence to this. If you know of any, please let us know because I like this theory a whole lot better than any others I've heard.

pacpix

AWESOME
THe story is quite strange and confusing. (but the game makes up for that) I think that it is funny how link has to do all this stuff to get the triforce when if it was not so heavily guarded he could just go and grab it to bring it back to Zelda

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Wowzers. That's a really complicated story! The game's hard too. I died three times in the first five minutes of playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom