• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Steve Jobs Dies

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Steve Jobs has died of pancreatic cancer.

He was founder and until recently CEO of Apple, the company unquestionably leading the technology world.

Apple released the following statement on their website:

Steve Jobs
1955-2011
Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have build, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

As I see it, Jobs was the last of the truly great innovators, a man of unwavering vision who was intent on creating genius. He was a symbol of the innovating spirit of America, a spirit that may well have died with him.

Thoughts?

Apple CEO Steve Jobs Dead at 56

There's no denying that he changed technology for the better. Like him or hate him, Steve Jobs has had a huge impact. I remember having to do a report on a famous admirer back in 7th grade. I chose Jobs. I grew to respect him, as I began to realize all the contributions he's had. Without him, I wouldn't be typing this (on my Mac). Without him, I wouldn't be listening to music everywhere I went. Not only was he the founder of Apple, but he also helped Pixar Animation Studios get off the ground. Two of the largest and most influential businesses in the world. I hope the best for his family and for Apple

Wow, that hit me like a fracking brick wall. I seriously thought this thread was bullcrap when I first saw the title, but damn.

One of the most shocking things I've heard. Ever.

Beeker

Wild Card
Wow, that hit me like a fracking brick wall. I seriously thought this thread was bullcrap when I first saw the title, but damn.
One of the most shocking things I've heard. Ever.
I had this reaction too. I think many of us have.
For the past while, he really wasn't looking too good, so a part of me believed it was going to happen sometime, but not this quickly. Still, this is like, wow. I am at a loss for words.

Steve Jobs, you will truly be missed, but you will not be forgotten.

I thought this was a fluke, at first.
Nope. Steve Jobs is dead... :(
While I may be a PC guy, I still think the Mac is pretty cool and I love the iPod.
R.I.P. man, R.I.P....

And I thought 2010 was the year of the dead celebrities.....

R.I.P Steve Jobs, your Apple products have given me hours of bite-sized joy.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
A true visionary. It would have taken the same impact to me as hearing if Miyamoto- or Aonuma-San had passed away. The world is so much different when people of such influence move on.

When I first heard that he had died, I, too, couldn't really believe it right away. I can't just wrap my head around death and accept it, so hearing that Steve Jobs had died was quite a shock to me. He has changed a lot of things about how technology is today... so I suppose I can say those changes he has made is a part of him that will stay with us.

R.I.P., Steve Jobs... you will be missed by many...

Petman1325

Poe Catcher

That's how I felt when I first saw it on Facebook. I thought someone was pulling my leg, but then I saw all of my tech news sites I follow and they all said the same thing, be it Kotaku, CNET, or even Phandroid.

Seriously, the man truly changed how technology worked. He created the standard computer mouse we all know and love, he created some of the most influential lines of smartphones and music players. He also was actually the driving force being PIXAR, by helping fund John Lasseter's dream after they decided to secede from Industrial Light and Magic.

RIP Steve Jobs, 1956-2011.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I don't agree with the idea that he was in a innovator. Many of his tactics that are claimed to be innovative are anti-competitive measures. Proprietary hardware is the main reason his products were so stable, but that is in no way innovative. Video game consoles were doing that before he made the first Mac.

Even though I will never join the crowd that thinks he was this great innovator, it doesn't mean I am downplaying his death. I'm not. 56 is way too young to die. I lost an uncle about the same age for a similar reason earlier this year so it brings up some bad memories. It's a tragedy that he died, but I think people should be free to keep their opinions of him even if they're not the best. You don't have to praise someone and ignore their faults just because they died. Not doing that doesn't mean you're diminishing the seriousness of their dying, it just means you're not the bandwagon type. I had to get that out of the way. I will never agree with his policies, but that doesn't mean that family needed him taken away too soon. I do know what they're going through. His children lost their dad way too early in their life. He should have been with them at least another 25 years. It will be harder for them. He's the same age as my dad and that makes me nervous. Anything can happen from now. Cancers are among the worst deaths for a family to experience. They know the end is going to be inevitable and they worry over when it'll come, tormenting them. Say what you want about the guy's business tactics, but no family should ever have to go through that ever. I remember that experience with my uncle. They said two months. It took one. It was the worst month we've gone through since my cousin had that happen, several years earlier. If I had my way, all cancer would be cured. It's among the cruelest natural ways to day. It should not be happening to anyone no matter what.

Strangelove

Somewhere
It's only once every hundred years or so a person with such vision comes along, totally determined to make the world better, a person who gets kicked out of their own company and comes back, even if the whole time they're taking criticism. I know some people think his ideas were copied, but look what we have now. Microsoft copying Apple's App based interfaces in Windows 8 Linux, with their apps. Google with all these smartphones we didn't have 'till people started copying the iPhone....this guy changed the world. And I think it's nice to see the company pay their respects to him. They changed their website main page to a big photo of him in dark colours, with a big photo of him too.

RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom