• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Starting Point in AoL

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Ok so I FINALLLLLYYYYY reached the old and smelly Great Palace with one life left and ended up dying, of course...why wouldn't I?

So I thought I get to start at the Great Palace if i died? Do I have to choose continue in the stead of the save option in order to begin at the Great Palace, or is that not even possible and I have to start at Zelda's sweet little bed everytime?

If it is the latter, how the heck do you guys/girls ever beat this annoyingly fun game!? I have 8-8, and only 3 lives every time.

Help...:S

I don't get what you're saying. But if you die at the Great Palace, you DO go back to the start of that palace, not back to the North Castle. And 3 lives is more than enough. That's actually the only game that you had extra lives, I don't get why you people complain about it.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Each time you (re)start your file you´ll "end up" at North Castle. But once you get to the Great Palace, even if you die, you´ll start at Great Palace (and with three new lifes of course) when you press continue. My advice to you is to use the spell spell a lot on your way to Great Palace. I guess sooner or later you´ll get what I mean ;)

Good luck!

(We are talking about AoL, correct?)

Neo

The One
How do you survive it without dying?
Cheat.

Seriously, man, this game is crazy.
I developed a number of game genie codes you can use if you're using an emulator.
Give me a few minutes to go dig them out of ZU and I'll put them up for you.

Alright, here it is as I posted it on ZU a few months ago.

Neo said:
For years now, I have envied game hackers. I said that I wanted to learn to hack games, too. I wanted to understand code and programming.

Well, I got my chance recently when an emulator offered a hexadecimal editor function for the games. I became curious of this while playing Zelda II, and decided to open it up and take a look.
I was staring into the brain of the game.
Thousands upon thousands of lines of code and programming stood before me.
I was intimidated, of course, but I persisted in fooling around with it.
You have no idea how amazing it was to watch the addresses which controlled the music change to the beat of the tune.

I have made quite a few discoveries.
For example: (all addresses are in hexadecimal form)
0013 is the address which controls whether you are a fairy or not. If you manually change the value to anything higher than 00, you become a fairy. You can change it back to become human again. However, if you use fairy magic, you cannot manually transform back, as it locks in the value. To transform back, you have to pause the game, change the value, and freeze the address. I could provide you with a game genie code to permanently make you a fairy, but that would render the game unbeatable, and you'd have to kill yourself, save, and turn off the code. So I don't see the point.

03e6 is the address which controls part of your jump. If you mess around with the value, you can stop yourself from jumping, make yourself fly forever, or create a moon jump where you continue to rise until you release A. To do the moon jump, change the value to Cx. It doesn't matter what the second value is, provided that the first value is C. If it is D or higher, you won't be able to jump. If it is B or lower, you'll float at the top of the screen when you try to jump. I can provide a game genie code for this: EKVATUAG

0494 is the address which monitors your death. If you enter 01, you die! Even if your health is full! Therefore, it's possible to turn dying off by freezing this address at 00. You can actually use this to get into the great temple before you're supposed to. Just transform into a fairy and go through the barrier (normally, you'd die instantly.) Game genie code=AEOAGGAA

Address 0516 controls the timer which determines when monsters next appear on the map, even if you aren't moving. If you freeze this address at anything greater than 00, you'll encounter less monsters, as only the monster generator that is controlled by movement will still work. I cannot seem to find the address for that one. Sorry!
But I do have a game genie code to disable the aforementioned counter: NYOATIAE

Adress 0518 controls Link's clipping with monsters. I noticed that when I was hit, it would change from 00 to 04 and then count down slowly back down to 00, at which point Link stopped flashing and became vulnerable again. If you freeze this at 04, 03, 02, or 01, Link will be invulnerable to enemies. Notice: If you touch a wisp (I think that's what they're called), you still lose magic, although you take no damage. This is the only case, though. Game genie: GAOEAIAA

Oh, and if you want to know what addresses have the music, they are: 18e6, 18e7, and 18e8. Those are the 3 main music parts, anyway.

05ca is a miscellaneous thing I found. It's the address that controls when your sword beams dissipate. By locking it in at F4, I made it so that my sword beams just continue to go on and on until they leave the screen, much like in later Zelda games. You can lock it at any value you want, actually, and it'll do the same thing. The game genie code is: KNKEZIUY

Hope this helps.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
If you die inside of the Great Palace (inside of the crystal barrier), then if you continue after game over I believe you start at the entrance. However, if you turn your game off, you will start at the North Castle as usual. That game isn't THAT hard I've done the GP without dying.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you saved the extra lifes around hyrule for it. I think there is one inside of the GP, but it is very hard to find if I remember. Feel free to send me a message if you keep on having problems.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Hey now Chrono I'm not complaining! You still aren't happy with me for dislinking these 2 original games aren't you? :P

Ok well that did answer my question exactly, El Bagu.

The path to the GP is so difficult though! hose little blue things that fly around all the time always knock me into the pits of lava, and they are kinda hard to defeat too. Always waiting for them to fly by...sigh...almost done....must...go...on *again, sorry Chrono! :) : )*

As far as the different genie codes go Neo, though I love everything about your profile, I really don't want to use those. It seems awesome and I would probably want to try to tackle a code like that some day, I don't want to use them to beat the game for the 1st time.

Thanks for all the words everyone!

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Dude seriously if you're going to just be a pain in the *** to someone don't go on a topic at all. He needed help, and just because it's easy to you, doesn't make it easy for everyone else. He wasn't complaining, I had trouble at that game as well. If you're just going to be a jerk to everyone just because they can't do something you can, then just don't come on at all.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Ey guys it's cool. No worries, no problems. No harm, no foul (as Carl from ATHF would say).

Yea I don't like "cheating" (if that is the word we are using here) but I just want to make it clear I am stating that for especially on the 1st time beating the game. I don't care if anyone else wants to cheat, that is them.

Also, yes, I don't think everyone can be just as good as everyone else on here.

We must be able to compromise! :)

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Have fun. The Great Palace is actually pretty fun to get to and beat for me. I hate how after beating the game on Zelda I & II, you have to start over. As with beating the adventure of link, you do the game again, but you start with max stats.

Neo

The One
I wasn't aware that it was your first playthrough.

But once you finish, try em out! They took me a lot of trials and tribulations to make!

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Yea Zelda II is cool that way. I did beat the GP finally, and beaten the game. For those of you who know that I really like this game the LEAST out of all Zelda games, I do have to say I am glad it's finally over, but that I did have tons of fun beating it.

Neo, how long did it take you to do all that stuff? How did you learn to do this? Prehaps this belongs in a PM?

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
I have the same problem. After I see game over, I go back to the beginning. It's really annoying when I accidently hit y or x on the NGC controller. Then I'm forced to start over. BTW, do you have the gamecube version of AoL?

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I do. I never played the original, etc. Although, I played the original LOZ on an NES when I was in the hospital when I was seven years old. Yeah TAOL is very fun to go through your first time. When I first did it, I got five crystals, I could never find the Hidden Palace, so I got through the Valley of Death without the Cross, and when I got to the Great Palace I could not get past the barrier.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Yea I have it on the original and the GC verision. And yes, same here haha. same problem: DO NOT TOUCH THE 'Z' BUTTON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom