• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Starting a New Game - Fun or Tedious?

Exciting or Boring

• Exciting!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boring!

• Neutral.

• Total voters
Are you a back-to-back gamer? Are you always playing some game? After I beat a game, I go straight to the next and I find myself annoyed at the beginning of each new games because I'm not used to the controls and the obligatory back-story, though essential to the progression, is long and dreadful. How about you? Are you super excited to take in the entire experience from the start or can you just not wait to get to the good parts?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I am almost never excited for the beginning of a new game; the start is always tedious with the plethora of windows and the vast majority of (imo) useless cutscenes that supposedly immerse you into the game world and get you up to speed as far as the story goes. I just don't have a feel for mashing the button to get past the tutorials and the ever dreaded mandatory full stop. It's just so inconvenient!

It depends on what the game is. For example, I love starting a Kingdom Hearts game. It has amazing story and usually a really epic intro video that I can't miss. ;)

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm always excited to start a new game. I have so many that I haven't even had the chance to play them all, so it's always nice getting the chance to try something new. The thing with me though, before I can move on to another game, I try to soak whatever I can from the game I'm currently playing. It's hard for me to just ignore a game when I know I haven't accomplished all I can, and just move on. Especially when I know I'm never going to get back to it. This usually happens with games that have a lot of tedious work, such as Assassin's Creed, so I try to stay away from playing such games back to back. I need some variety in between.

But that's not always the case. Take Resident Evil 6 for example, I've been playing it since it released and I have yet been able to achieve everything I want to, and now Halo 4, another one of my most anticipated games of the year, is seeing release tomorrow. Well, since I've already got to enjoy the campaign and can definitely see myself coming back for more, I have no choice but to put it on hold until I'm done with Halo. There have also been cases when I juggle a couple of games around, maybe one isn't doing it for me, but I still want to finish it, so I start another game on the side just to get a different feel. Sometimes I just switch between a co-op game I'm enjoying with my brother, and a single player experience that I can enjoy on my own time.

I guess it all comes down to your current situation and personal preference for the time being. I mean, why start a game you know you're not going to enjoy? I'd rather find out for myself whenever I pop in that disc or cartridge for the first time.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I love starting new games! I love beating new games! I don't really care much for 100% a game. Sure, if the game is amazing, I'll replay it for a 100%... but most of the time I breeze through to learn the story and see the ending.

I love starting new games! I love beating new games! I don't really care much for 100% a game. Sure, if the game is amazing, I'll replay it for a 100%... but most of the time I breeze through to learn the story and see the ending.

Beating a new game is the BEST! I guess starting one is so tedious for me because I have to talk to everyone, break every pot, examine the entire area, etc. I don't want to miss anything cool!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If I haven't played the game before, I'm always excited. I'm always enthralled to find out what's in store. Starting a new game for the first time is always an interesting experience. You don't normally know what's waiting for you. That makes the experience all the more fun.

If I have played the game before, I'm usually neutral. However, this depends on what the game is. For some games, going through the beginning again can be extremely boring, especially if that game has a slow start. So, it really all depends on what the game is.

I always am excited when playing a new game for the first time. I find the process of getting acquainted with the game and its controls to be more fun than tedious.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Depends on how long it takes for the game to get going. I dislike the Zelda series way of breaking the game into parts. Usually "collect three of this" then we'll open up most of the world for ya. That's lame.

When starting a game for the first time, however, slow starts are unnoticeable since you're not familiar with the pacing. When playing through again, however, you just wish you could skip all that. Mass Effect has a slow start. You spend a lot of time walking around a rather static area before venturing out. That part is tedious when having to play through it again, but the first time it is quite engaging. Once you know everything that happens then you're just replaying through familiar territory.

Dan

Well that all depends, is there an extremely annoying tutorial level at the same, and does the game treat me like an idiot. If yes then I don't look forward to starting it.

Claire

The Geekette
I would say it depends on the type of game and the length of time you've been playing on that account.

If you're playing an RPG, it is fun to create different accounts. You can choose to follow the story (if it has one), stick with side quests, or train a specific skill(s) to their highest level(s). Since most RPGs are so vast and pretty easy to train up, it really isn't something that comes off as tedious. This applies with arcade games for me too. You really can't get sick of games like Tetris, Ice Climber, or Bubble Bobble. They are very simplistic and easily addictive. However, when you start talking about more recent games, to lose a file can really be annoying and to start over immediately after is almost sickening. I felt that way when I lost my first play through Wind Waker. It feels to be more common with newer games because I can restart Link's Awakening over and over with no problems.

I would rather beat a platform or adventure game as opposed to restarting it. If it is a roleplaying game, then new accounts are cool because there really isn't a way that you can truly beat a lot of RPGs and you're able to explore all the different paths within the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It depends on what the start of a new game entails.

Is the introduction particularly long, wrought with mundane pauses at every turn? Does the introduction force you to watch a wealth of movies to immerse you into its "story"? For those reasons, the start of a new game could potentially be boring. That doesn't mean the rest of the game won't suddenly gain momentum, though.

There are other times when the start of a new game is fun. When the introduction has you completely engaged (usually via SHORT clips and a lot of gameplay), things can be fun (for example, I enjoyed the introduction to Kingdom Hearts II as well as Kingdom Hearts 1). :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom