• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stardew Valley Switch

I'm having a gaming crisis (the best kind of crisis) on whether or not I should buy Stardew Valley on Switch.

I dont doubt what so many people say about it and it looks to have earned the 'best farming sim game of all time' title on its own merits.

I do want to play the game, but should I honestly sink money into something i may not like?

See, I dont like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon or Terraria, I dont like farming and this game seems to be a hybrid of all three... with farming.

It looks good, i'm sure it is. But i'm not sure I'd enjoy it.

Have any of you played it?

Would you recommend it even if youre one of those, like me, who dislikes farming etc?

What do you think about the game overall?
Is it better than its rivals?

Last edited:
For the price (cheaper than voa the PS shop) it's really worth it. It's not perfect but for a one man development team it's amazing. This game is basically an even better version of Harvest Moon SNES. The game is a lot like the SNES Harvest Moon, nothing at all like Animal Crossing and nothing at all like Terraria. If you hate farming at all in games, then probably give it a miss as you have to at least a little farming in this game, even if you chose a non farming method. Well more like farming other things that are not crops.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Stardew Valley, unlike a lot of other farming sims games, has a lot more to do than farming.

For example, there's even a light dungeon crawler tucked away inside of the game. Combat doesn't have an incredible amount of depth, but it still is there. Plus there are things such as fishing, cultivating relationships, crafting, upgrading, a collectathon, and a variety of other things.

So in this way, Stardew valley is way better than all of its rivals(except for Animal Crossing, which is a completely different type of game). It has way more variety, customization, and freedom than any of those other games. Do you not want to farm? Okay, you can spend literally all of your time in the mines, or you can spend it fishing, or just by walking around collecting stuff.

If that sounds appealing to you, go for it!

However, really, if this type of game doesn't appeal to you. Don't force it. You don't have to like everything. If the game isn't for you, it isn't for you. However, the price of admission is cheap, so you aren't losing too much if you do end up not liking it.

Stormageden747

Zofian General
I saw Stardew Valley, so of course I clicked. I say get it right now. WARNING: Addiction is the main side-affect of this game. If you start to feel like it is a rip off of Harvest Moon, please see your doctor ASAP. The game is not a rip off of Harvest Moon.

I myself have logged over 60 hours in the game. For the price of $15 I say it is worth the try. If you do not like it, hey we all have games we dislike.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I played 50 hours of Stardew Valley and I don't think I've even scratched the surface.

There's a lot more to do in this game than there is to do in other life sim games like AC and Harvest Moon. You can explore caves and fight enemies, you can farm, you can find a life partner and make friends, you can explore, you can fish, you can raise livestock, collect things, craft and upgrade things. You can do a lot in this game and I think it's worth the price. I still feel like it's a pretty niche game though.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I haven't played it in a while, but it was some good fun. If you like Harvest Moon games, you'll like this for sure. It has a good bit to offer.

One thing to note though that I've noticed, and that seems to be somewhat common, is that the Switch port does have an audio glitch that occurs every now and then that adds a little static to the music and sounds, so that can be a bit jarring, but closing the software and reloading the game seems to fix it. I don't know if a patch has been introduced to fix this issue, but it's just something to note if you do end up buying the game.

I saw Stardew Valley, so of course I clicked. I say get it right now. WARNING: Addiction is the main side-affect of this game. If you start to feel like it is a rip off of Harvest Moon, please see your doctor ASAP. The game is not a rip off of Harvest Moon.
Stardew Valley is clearly based off or inspired by Harvest Moon. However the developer added in enough new content to differentiate his game. It's not a clone, it's more what 2D farming games should be like. It's an improvement on Harvest Moon. I never liked the 3D Harvest Moon games all that much, I found the 2D games more fun, just my opinion of cause.

Zachie

Moo
Stardew Valley is clearly based off or inspired by Harvest Moon. However the developer added in enough new content to differentiate his game. It's not a clone, it's more what 2D farming games should be like. It's an improvement on Harvest Moon. I never liked the 3D Harvest Moon games all that much, I found the 2D games more fun, just my opinion of cause.
To be honest, you can say that most (if not all) farming games are inspired by Harvest Moon. It was the OG, and there's always going to be comparisons back to that "source material".

On the other hand, I love Stardew Valley so much. It's such a charming game & I didn't expect to lose so much of my time when I picked it up for Switch. But I've sunk so many hours into it now and I can't wait for the multiplayer patch to come so I can play with friends.

On the other hand, I love Stardew Valley so much. It's such a charming game & I didn't expect to lose so much of my time when I picked it up for Switch. But I've sunk so many hours into it now and I can't wait for the multiplayer patch to come so I can play with friends.
The game really is that good. Sure it's not perfect but for the $15 it's an easy buy on the Switch. I agree with you there, cheap enough to take the risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom