• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Star Wars Sequel Trilogy: Ruining the Main Point of the First 6 Episodes

Heavy spoilers below.

The thing that bothers me the most about the Rise of Skywalker is that it retcons the Prophecy of the Chosen One. Remember that thing about Anakin Skywalker bringing balance to the force? Let's take a crap on the end of Return of the Jedi and bring back Palpatine for no reason. I feel like this act single handedly diminishes the Skywalker story. The story tries to repair it at the end by having Rey declare herself as a Skywalker but she really isn't.

Maybe I'm feeling too strongly about this but it truly does feel like everything the first two trilogies worked towards in Anakin's fall to become Darth Vader and eventual redemption through listening to Luke and returning to the way of the Jedi is invalidated through this final movie.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural

Anyway in the canon comics Sidious impregnated Shimi Skywalker through the force so he is technically anakins father, who is Kylos grandfather. Sidious is also Reys grandfather which makes Kylo and Rey's kiss incest because she's his first cousin once removed. She's part of the same bloodline that the Skywalkers have.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I still haven't seen the film yet, but I know the plot already. I kind of felt like there was no way to redeem the trilogy to make it all fit concisely together after The Last Jedi. Using Palpatine as the villian is without a doubt the last option they had because it was too late to contrive a new villian into the story. They are probably trying to sell it like him being behind the curtain of the First Order was intended from the start, but if that was the case they would have made subtle hints somehow.

Regarding your point about the prophecy, I've been saying since this new trilogy began that it conflicts with it: it brings up the question of whether Anakin was the chosen one, or if it is somehow Rey because of how highly attuned to the force that she is.

Hot take though: Balance to the Force wasn't achieved in Return of the Jedi. The Sith were in a minority in the prequel trilogy, the Jedi had overwhelming numbers. Anakin turning to the dark side and the slaughter of the Jedi was actually what brought balance back to the force. Sideous and Vader for the Dark, Obi Wan and Yoda for the light (with only the movies in mind).

That is, if that's even what the prophecy was. Of course George Lucas has said the moment the prophecy was fulfilled was when Anakin killed Sideous in RotJ, but this new Trilogy and the revival of ol' Sheev cheapens that.

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This whole trilogy has been hot garbage from the beginning and The Last Jedi made sure it would stay garbage with how much had to be damaged controlled in The Rise of Skywalker.

I don't have a problem with Palpatine returning, but that should have really been an Episode 8 reveal. Most of this movie feels like the Episode 8 we should have gotten instead of Rian Johnson's buttf*cking. Finn and Poe getting last minute backgrounds, big Palpatine twist right at the start of the movie, Rey recieving actual training. Literally, all of this should have been in Episode 8. What the f*ck was Rian Johnson doing?

It was an impossible task to cram in both an Episode 8 and 9 into one film, so I am sympathetic towards Abrams for having to salvage such a sh*tty and meaningless Episode 8 while also trying to end the whole series. It's still too little too late with The Rise of Skywalker, but it was at least more enjoyable than the last 2.

But yes, the lack of Anakin in this trilogy has been a major issue of mine. They should have stayed true to the prophecy because this is ultimately Anakin's story. We had the rise and fall of Darth Vader, and this new trilogy should have been his redemption. I don't care how much anyone hates the prequels, they're a big part of Star Wars and are Star Wars to an entire generation of fans and Disney should have respected that and brought back Hayden Christensen as force ghost Anakin so he could share scenes with Luke, Leia, and Kylo Ren and ultimately bring all 3 trilogies together, but as it stands, it all feels so isolated.

Anakin should be feeling guilt over his actions and this should have played a big part in the new trilogy as they could have explored how he's affected both Luke and Leia after Return of the Jedi. Training Luke could be seen as an act of redemption. His relationship with Leia should be strained as Leia wouldn't be so forgiving towards Anakin after everything he's done with the Empire, but in the end, Anakin's redemption for Leia could have been turning Kylo back to the light as he more than anyone would understand the path Ben is going down.

Then there's also the whole missed opportunity with addressing what was hinted in Episode 3, or at least Lucas' original intention, which was to reveal Palpatine as Anakin's father/creator. This would have been the perfect time to confirm this as it would essentially make Rey and Kylo family, which would explain their weird force connection, and give more meaning to Rey calling herself Skywalker. Anakin could have also been directly responsible for awakening the force within Rey and guiding her on her journey the entire time as seen in The Force Awakens with the light saber calling out to her and all her confused moments of being so strong with the force.

Goddamn, f*ck Disney Star Wars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom