• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I wonder if this means that Rey won't become either a Jedi or a Sith, but something else entirely. We know that there are force sensitive beings out there that aren't either, so it is possible.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
People seem to be forgetting about Finn. He's force sensitive, maybe not as much as Rey, but he absolutely is. He could become a Jedi as well. I think this title is referring to Luke as the last member of the Jedi that survived over the years, not including any new ones that could start appearing now like Rey or Finn.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
People seem to be forgetting about Finn. He's force sensitive, maybe not as much as Rey, but he absolutely is. He could become a Jedi as well. I think this title is referring to Luke as the last member of the Jedi that survived over the years, not including any new ones that could start appearing now like Rey or Finn.
It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but where exactly is it shown that Finn is force sensitive?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but where exactly is it shown that Finn is force sensitive?
When the First Order blew up the Republic with their super weapon. Finn could hear their screams from far away and feel their pain (Like with Ben Kenobi and Alderaan). This was explicitly stated in the novelization too, iirc.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
When the First Order blew up the Republic with their super weapon. Finn could hear their screams from far away and feel their pain (Like with Ben Kenobi and Alderaan). This was explicitly stated in the novelization too, iirc.
I really need to re-watch the movie then, because I don't remember that at all.

MW7

I could totally be wrong, but when I watched that scene, I assumed that the screams were of people nearby looking at the planet exploding in the sky. There were lots of people standing outside of Maz's castle so that's where I thought the source of the screams was. Either case is possible though since the screams are off-screen, and your interpretation would certainly provide substantial evidence of Finn being force sensitive. If that's what the novelization says (I have not read it), then that is very interesting.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Well this ought to keep the fanbois and gurls entertained for a while...

Luke's gonna diieeeee.

Nice trailer, doesnt give anything away though. It just goes BOOOOOOOM BWAAAAAAA BOOOOOM BWAAAAAAAA "The Jedi should end"

Which is a line i think taken completely out of context and wont mean as much in the film.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So, I finally watched The Last Jedi. I've been dying to since it came out but haven't been able to until now. I've unfortunately been unable to avoid spoilers on a few major things which sucked, but I still enjoyed the film a lot. I'll post my thoughts and a few minor gripes I had in a bigass spoiler tag.

So, first let's talk the things I didn't like. First and foremost, and this is one of the things I got spoiled on, the fact that Rey's parents were nobodies. It felt a little like a cop-out to me. I know it wouldn't be the first time a powerful Jedi came from nothing (like Anakin), but still. I would have liked more to that.

Next, the other thing I got spoiled on, I wasn't thrilled with Snoke being killed off. The moment had a fantastic set up and the scene itself was really powerful, but Snoke didn't really get the chance to do much in the movies. Like, most of the stuff he did was off-screen and prior to where the movies start with the story. So, I liked the set up and the execution for his death, but I just feel like he was underused.

Lastly, at the end, it felt like they were kind of teasing at the start of a love triangle between Rey, Finn, and Rose and that... ugh. Please don't let that happen. I ****ing hate love triangles. I hope to god I misinterpreted that scene where Rey is giving a sideways look at Finn looking after the unconscious Rose.

Now, the good stuff. I REALLY loved the bulk of this movie. Let's start with Luke. I've seen some valid complaints about his character in this. I've also seen that Mark Hamil himself said it wasn't "his Luke", and I can kind of see why, like with him running away from everything. I can understand those complaints, but I still liked a lot of his scenes in this movie. Luke's introduction tossing the lightsaber away was quite the entrance. Him messing with Rey by tickling her hand and telling her it was the Force was hysterical. I really appreciated him pointing out the Jedi Order's flaws, because they did have them. And boy, that scene at the end where he astral projected to confront Kylo Ren. Man, what a scene. I loved every minute of that. When he first walked out there and Kylo had them open fire on him and he walked out of the dust like nothing happened, he had the nerve to dust off his shoulder as if they all missed him. What a power move. I loved that. And his final scene was great. Referencing that scene of him in Episode 4 watching the sunset on Tattooine. I was afraid he was going to die in this movie, but I'm glad to know he went peacefully at least. And maybe now he can be a Force ghost like Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Now let's talk Finn. I. LOVE. Finn. You can see how much he's developed as a character over the course of 7 and 8, and man is he such a good character. There is nothing he's not willing to do if it means helping Rey, and that's starting to apply to more than just her. You can see that in the choices he makes when he's with Rose while they were looking for the codebreaker. His battle with Phasma was done so well, and man was it awesome. Especially his last line to her, when she called him scum. "Rebel scum." that was so badass man I loved it. I was so terrified that he was gonna die in the last battle, thank God that Rose saved him. Right on, Rose.

Now for Rey. She was really interesting in this one. Aside from the whole Force prodigy thing, she seemed more mature than in 7. Definitely a lot braver. Going to Snoke's ship by herself took some real confidence. Reckless confidence, but confidence all the same. I was actually a little afraid of her and Kylo teaming up, butI'm glad to see that wasn't the case. It should not have to fall to Rey to fix his mistakes. He needs to own up to it himself, and it's clear that he isn't willing to. So, yeah, I hope she kicks his ass again in the next one. As far as the thing with her parents go, I was disappointed that they were nobodies. But now I want to see how she'll rise above it. It seems like she's about ready to, and is going to devote herself to the Resistance, which is cool.

Poe was a snarky badass, especially in the beginning, that was awesome. BB-8 is loveable as always. Leia reminding everyone that she's always been Force sensitive was badass. Purple Hair Lady (I forgot her name) driving the ship into light speed through Snoke's battleship was ****ing awesome. That last bit in the credits, the tribute to Carrie Fisher, I knew that was coming and I still teared up at seeing it. I thought it was a great movie overall. Not sure if I like it as much as 7, but so far these new movies have been more enjoyable to me than the original trilogy and the prequels.

MW7

I really liked the movie. I thought the movie was a bit long, but the last 45 minutes or so included some of my favorite sequences ever. I liked Mark Hamill's performance more than I did in any of the original trilogy which I love.
So, first let's talk the things I didn't like. First and foremost, and this is one of the things I got spoiled on, the fact that Rey's parents were nobodies. It felt a little like a cop-out to me. I know it wouldn't be the first time a powerful Jedi came from nothing (like Anakin), but still. I would have liked more to that.
I think there is still plenty to be curious about Rey's parentage: How does Kylo know who her parents are? What's Kylo's definition of nobodies? Can we trust what Kylo said? In Star Wars there can always be further revelations about things that we think have already been revealed to us. I think there may be some backstory of Kylo knowing something about Rey before the beginning of this trilogy. He saved her life. Why is she so important to him?

Lastly, at the end, it felt like they were kind of teasing at the start of a love triangle between Rey, Finn, and Rose and that... ugh. Please don't let that happen. I ****ing hate love triangles. I hope to god I misinterpreted that scene where Rey is giving a sideways look at Finn looking after the unconscious Rose.
If it makes you feel better, I didn't get that impression. My perspective from the Force Awakens is that Finn fell for Rey, but Rey saw him as more of a friend. Finn still loved Rey at the beginning of the Last Jedi, but Finn fell for Rose over the course of the movie. Rey's look at Finn at Rose's side didn't seem heartbroken. It seemed somewhat neutral like she was just taking in the information that Finn cares about Rose. I think the Rey and Kylo scenes had strong romantic undertones. When Kylo asked Rey to join him, I think his main intentions were romantic. Rey clearly cares about him to some degree, but it may just be a strong conscience that led her to try to save him. On a related note that you may not like (because it may hint at a separate love triangle), Poe and Rey's introduction included a call-back to Empire Strikes Back by Poe responding "I know." I think what happens will depend on whether or not Kylo survives the trilogy. If he does, I would assume he and Rey will get together.

Here are some other thoughts on the movie.
I thought the movie had so many allusions to prior film like the Force Awakens, but everything seemed more clever and somehow original. For example the battle of Crait mirrored the ending of A New Hope in that the Millennium Falcon makes a surprise appearance to stop tie fighters from destroying rebel craft trying to destroy a big gun aimed at the rebel base. The throne room scene had the evil puppet-master taunt the jedi by showing the rebel fleet being destroyed, the master torture the Jedi, and then the evil apprentice kills the evil master. It was just way cooler than it was in Return of the Jedi imo.

I absolutely loved the theme of failure and learning from it throughout the film. It opens with Poe seemingly succeeding until Leia admonishes him for failing to lead and letting so many heroes die. Poe then encourages a Finn and Rose to go on a long-shot adventure that ultimately fails. By the end of the film Poe grows and calls off the assault on the battering ram cannon once he realizes they will just die if they continue. He's also the one who realizes that they must use Luke as a distraction to escape to live another day. Leia sees the growth in Poe and says, "Why are you looking at me? Follow him." Finn and Rose's entire storyline ends in failure. Snoke fails to snuff out the Jedi as does Kylo. Kylo set out to end the rebellion, end the war, and end the Jedi, and Luke points out that he's failed on all three counts. Rey fails to turn Kylo and may have failed to convince Luke to return if it hadn't been for Yoda.

Luke fails miserably with Kylo and begins to fail Rey as well. Luke's failure mirrors his own teacher's failure. Obi Wan failed Anakin and then went into hiding as his former apprentice helps evil gain power in the galaxy. Yoda also went away to a place where no one could find him. Luke then redeems himself by saving the rebels. Luke goes to face his former apprentice Kylo as Obi Wan faced Vader in the Death Star, and in both instances they allowed the former apprentice to strike them, they disappeared, and their sacrifice allowed the rebels to escape.

I liked that we received three different versions of the same story of Kylo destroying the Jedi temple. Luke's lie to save face, Kylo's perspective, and then Luke's second version of the story all seem true the first time you hear them. Presumably Luke's second story is accurate, but maybe it's still only true from "a certain point of view." Kylo's version and Luke's second telling may both be honest representations. Kylo woke up to see his master brandishing a light saber so it's understandable if he interpreted it as Luke being the aggressor. Similarly I addressed the Rey parentage issue above. I think there's still plenty of uncertainty there.

Also I love how Luke sarcastically admonishes Rey for expecting him to go out with a laser sword and face down the whole First Order, and then that's how the film ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom