• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Star Trek Vs Star Wars

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
So after enjoying the discussions on Darth Vader vs. Ganondorf and Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris, I've decided to ask this:

Which is better, the Star Trek saga or the Star Wars saga? Why?

Nerds.........go at it!!!
:)

Last edited:
Quite the debate here. I'm not a giant fan of either, to be honest. I love the first three Star Wars movies, but the last three were garbage. Star Trek is always fun to watch on television, and the latest movie is one of my all time favorites, but neither of these series are that appealing to me. I'm not a sci-fi kind of person, more of a fantasy kind.

H

Heroofwolves

"Star Wars by far! No other reason than I am a Star Wars fanboy."
This, though the prequals werent my cup of tea as much.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Depends on what part. For movies, Star Wars wins hands down. For TV series, Star Trek takes the gold. For books, Star Wars takes the lead. For video games, it's absolutely Star Wars.

In all though, I find it hard to choose. I really like them both. I don't really like to exclude myself from the major space-based sci-fi series.

I like them both for different reasons. Star Wars appeals to my fantasy epic good vs. evil part of my mind and Star Trek appeals to the "what ifs" in science type part of my mind. They are kind of apples to oranges to me. LOTR makes a better series to pit against Star Wars and for Star Trek I don't know, there isn't really anything else like it. However, if I did have to pick which one entertained me the most it would definitely be Star Wars.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I like them both for different reasons. Star Wars appeals to my fantasy epic good vs. evil part of my mind and Star Trek appeals to the "what ifs" in science type part of my mind. They are kind of apples to oranges to me. LOTR makes a better series to pit against Star Wars and for Star Trek I don't know, there isn't really anything else like it. However, if I did have to pick which one entertained me the most it would definitely be Star Wars.
Both are extremely good and I find it hard to choose between them. Both of them are very, very good. And besides... there are... worse things...
This video speaks to this exactly:

[video=youtube;mvTCr5Z-0lA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=mvTCr5Z-0lA[/video]
It's all you'll ever need to make your decision.

Medri

Erus Per Tempus
I don't think it is wise to compare them.... it doesn't work.

As a fan of Star Trek Religiously. Yet I preach Star Wars as the guide to the best way to achieve a trilogy and is a benchmark of quality movies.

However the debate is unbalanced for 3 reasons.

1. Star Trek is a Television Series with several different incarnations that people have watched around the world as well as has 11 movies under it's belt which are hit and miss. While Star Wars is a series of 6 movies and animated shorts that fill in the gaps between Episode 2 and 3 and has 3 iconic movies and 3 that are tag-on's (not a fan of the prequil movies).

2. Star Trek is Science Fiction at it's prime and best example - The problems of the series can be solved with theoretical science and the science and technology is the star of the show, along with strong compelling stories.

Star Wars is Science FANTASY where the technology is there as a tool and exists. Where as it focuses more on story driven characters and action that is shown.

A good example of what I mean is this... Lots of Episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation are focused around this device called the "warp core" that is the engine that allows them to travel faster than light. Where as in star wars, they don't really have to explain anything, The ships can move to solar system to solar system no problem. It isnt about the technology. You aren't explained in any way how things work in a scientific manner, it just works, screw physics.

3. The problems in the two franchises can't be compared side by side. Star Trek is about Exploration and Learning about the Human Spirit. Star Wars is about the tale of a young man growing into his role in the future. To be blunt. Star Wars is for children and Star Trek is for Adults.

I prefer Star Trek, Over Star Wars, just by quantity and memories tied to Star Trek. But Star Wars is a great Trilogy..... as for the prequels... not so much.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Truthfully.....I love Star Wars, all of the original trilogy and some of the prequel trilogy. The only part of Star Trek I've seen is the new movie, and I liked it quite a bit. However....Star Wars takes the cake.

Oh, and, random.

Things I liked about the prequel trilogy:

Darth Maul
Battle Sequences
Banter between Obi-Wan and Anakin in AotC and RotS
Mace Windu (he was my favorite prequel Jedi)
Almost all of RotS (except for crappy love scenes)

I like both but why do people try to compare the two so often? Other then taking place in space and having "Star" in their title, they are nothing alike.

Star Trek is hard sci-fi, Star Wars is fantasy that happens to have space ships.

I love both but if I had to choose, I would pick Star Trek. I would say ST is by far the most mature of the two. It's about exploration yes but at it's core it's about humanity. I have been watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine recently and much of the show is centered around the Dominion War, what I really love about it is that they go out of their way to make sure there is more to it then fast ships and explosions. Many episodes explore the horrors of war and the writers tried hard to bring that humanity into it.

One great episode is The Siege of AR-558, it does an amazing job of showing what it's like to be in long term combat and that the psychological wounds can be just as bad if not worse then physical wounds. One of the main characters loses a leg in that battle and a couple of episodes later a whole episode is dedicated to showing that persons struggle with readjusting to the real world and of course dealing with the trauma they suffered. Actual vets worked with the show and many more applauded them for their accurate representation of PTSD. One of many great scenes from the Siege of AR-558:

[video=youtube;-D2SHNqkjbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2SHNqkjbY&feature=related[/video]

In another episode Captain Sisko faces the fact the Federation will probably lose the war, so what does he do? He forges evidence to get another alien race to break treaty with the Dominion and join them. This is the hero of the show people, who made a decision that may be immoral but felt he had to. Not only that but the man he worked with to forge the evidence went as far as to assassinate the senator of that alien senator in order to bring them into the war. I was impressed a show was willing to do something like that, to make you question your own morality in the face of damming odds.

[video=youtube;IPocxGUWMxM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPocxGUWMxM&feature=related[/video]

Those are just a few of the many raw and real human themes Star Trek explores and why I pick it.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I really enjoy Star Wars a lot more. Really, it's only for the screenplay and the action (Episode III has got to have the BEST 1 on 1 battle of any movie I have ever seen), which I felt Wars had more than Trek. Just me.

First it was Star Wars all the way but then my dad started showing us Star Trek so now I'm stuck. I like both. Star Trek is more "closer to reality" but Star Wars is Star Wars! I would probably go with Star Wars though. Kind of a small post for me if I do say so myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom