• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Star Fox Switch

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
With a recent interview with Miyamoto, Miyamoto said that he still isn't done with the Star Fox series despite the commercial failure that was Star Fox Zero. Good on him!

Let's just hope he doesn't mess things up this time. So what would you like to see on Star Fox Switch?

I would love to see an HD star Fox game without forced gyroscope controls, with brand new planets, new levels, and a completely new story. I still want Star Fox to be episodic in nature, but a lot more branching paths that allow for more replayability. So that there is around 15 hours playtime with unique stages.

I would also not mind there being on foot missions like with Assault. Of course, these would need to be cleaned up in excecution, but I thought they were a good idea.

I just really wish this isn't yet another reboot of Star Fox SNES...... The least Miyamoto should do is carry the story on after Star Fox Zero.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I hope it doesn't suck.

I mostly hope that Miyamoto takes a step back and lets fresh minds head NIntendo's big franchises. The only reason we're seeing a Zelda game quite like Breath of the Wild is because a new younger team is tackling the project with naught but guidance from series regulars.

No more gimmicky control schemes for gimmick's sake. Star Fox's control scheme was terrible; a massive nail in the coffin aside the reused levels and storylines.

Ive thought for a long time now, probably since Star Fox 64, that the series has not reached its full potential. Star Fox could sell systems if Miyamoto gave more of a damn.

I think the best way to use Star Fox is as a glorified tech demo. Make Star Fox that one game that shows off the console's power at launch. Have your Mario and Zelda and Smash Bros too but have Star Fox be the simple yet stunningly impressive and beautiful launch title that makes people go 'Holy crap! This is what Nintendo's new console can do?'

Make the graphics the best you can possibly achieve in the early years of the console. Everyone loves colourful space battles and aerial dog fights. So make it look amazing. Make it look barrel rolling through an explosion spinning off debris as you charge ahead beautiful.

The gameplay doesnt have to be big or clever, just responsive as any game should be. No gimmicks, just straight up shooter fun.

Make it annual too, reuse the engine and make it look as pretty as you can, address some issues and drop in a cool new feature like seemless world to world travel. Having it annual will also help the series actually tell a longer story than having to be rebooted all the time.

After 3 or so annual games, step back and in a few years or so release an open world Star Fox MMO. That'd be good too!

But i dont think we'll get that. Nintendo sometimes come off as if they dont truly understand the power their IPs do or could have. Star Fox has a deep resevoir of untapped potential that will likely never be embraced by Nintendo, at least not with Miyamoto at the helm which is a damn shame.

With a recent interview with Miyamoto, Miyamoto said that he still isn't done with the Star Fox series despite the commercial failure that was Star Fox Zero.
The article mentioned Star Fox and Pikmin. I am glad both are not finished totally.

No more gimmicky control schemes for gimmick's sake. Star Fox's control scheme was terrible; a massive nail in the coffin aside the reused levels and storylines.
The controls were NOT the reason why SFZ was a terrible game. The terrible story and failure to put in things that worked in SF64 and SF SNES like the mini map among many other things hurt SFZ a lot.

I actually think SF SNES and SF 64 remade for the Switch would sell quite well. I would buy them.

Make the graphics the best you can possibly achieve in the early years of the console. Everyone loves colourful space battles and aerial dog fights. So make it look amazing. Make it look barrel rolling through an explosion spinning off debris as you charge ahead beautiful.
Starfox Zero had this. It is the best looking SF game to date. Good graphics alone don't make a good game, yo uneed all the core mechanics there. SFZ proved this. All of the game mechanics (talking about things like the mini map, not the controls) were not present in SFZ. Also the fan favourite stages were not there. A proper meteo level? That existed in SFSNES and SF64. SFZ? Theat only had the garbage protect the Great Fox level. The hard mode SF64 protect the Great Fox stage was much better.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
Star Fox thread, I saw? Must comment!

With a recent interview with Miyamoto, Miyamoto said that he still isn't done with the Star Fox series despite the commercial failure that was Star Fox Zero. Good on him!

Let's just hope he doesn't mess things up this time. So what would you like to see on Star Fox Switch?

I would love to see an HD star Fox game without forced gyroscope controls, with brand new planets, new levels, and a completely new story. I still want Star Fox to be episodic in nature, but a lot more branching paths that allow for more replayability. So that there is around 15 hours playtime with unique stages.

I would also not mind there being on foot missions like with Assault. Of course, these would need to be cleaned up in excecution, but I thought they were a good idea.

I just really wish this isn't yet another reboot of Star Fox SNES...... The least Miyamoto should do is carry the story on after Star Fox Zero.

I genuinely think the key thing is story here from my perspective. It's a gimmie that Star Fox would better be suited for more traditional controls as for accessibility reasons which would also help with changes in gameplay a la landmaster and on-foot combat. Now I personally saw nothing wrong with Assault's approach to the gunplay, but the controls could use some refining on that end as well. I also don't mind the retreading of familiar planets given the game will most likely still take place in the old stomping grounds of the Lylat System, but much like how Assault breathed fresh air on these familiar stages, this hypothetical title should do the same. This isn't to say new locations should not appear, as this could be a good idea.

Going back to the story, another reboot would be the deathknell of a franchise already on thin ice. I may miss the established post-64 lore, but I also am intrigued by the possibilities left after Zero. This is Nintendo's chance to establish Star Fox as a series with a bit more weight to it much like Assault attempted, but didn't necessarily succeed in trying. Perhaps digging back into scrapped characters like Fay and Miyo from Star Fox 2 could add something more akin to the vision for the series pre-64? Who knows? With Star Fox, I think that the story has much potential to be reaped. :cool:

I hope it doesn't suck.

You and me both. I just want the best for this series at this point!

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The controls were NOT the reason why SFZ was a terrible game. The terrible story and failure to put in things that worked in SF64 and SF SNES like the mini map among many other things hurt SFZ a lot.

They're definitely one of the reasons. The last thing Star Fox needed was for you to pay attention to two screens that displayed mostly the same things, but only one of which you could aim with. Gotta admire Nintendo's commitment to beating a dead control scheme until it finally produces something good (not the results, but the persistence), but it didn't work in Star Fox's favor.

The article mentioned Star Fox and Pikmin. I am glad both are not finished totally.

I actually think SF SNES and SF 64 remade for the Switch would sell quite well. I would buy them.

Starfox Zero had this. It is the best looking SF game to date. Good graphics alone don't make a good game, yo uneed all the core mechanics there. SFZ proved this. All of the game mechanics (talking about things like the mini map, not the controls) were not present in SFZ. Also the fan favourite stages were not there. A proper meteo level? That existed in SFSNES and SF64. SFZ? Theat only had the garbage protect the Great Fox level. The hard mode SF64 protect the Great Fox stage was much better.

SFZ may be the best looking SF game but it still looked crap compared to other titles on the U. True graphics arent the be all and end all but they pull in the casuals and a lot of people pride gorgeous looking games over ones that may look meh but play brilliantly and have a good story. If SF could bring in both of these potential playing crowds it'd have the best of both worlds.

but it didn't work in Star Fox's favor.
I can agree with this. For purely PR reasons. Even if the base idea is good (and it was) if enough people **** all over it, it's going to get a bad rap. And games with a bad rap get less sales. The bad part fo the control scheme was not the control scheme itself but how Nintendo sold it. Nintendo allowed the bad PR from it to get way out of control.

True graphics arent the be all and end all but they pull in the casuals and a lot of people pride gorgeous looking games over ones that may look meh but play brilliantly and have a good story.
This is a very sad thing but it is the state of the industry now. People pride shiny shiny over good controls and other good game mechanics. Graphics and the name is what a lot of people look for these days. At PSX, quite a few of the reveal trailers were utter garbage. The crowds were silent during the trailer. The live commentary by the PS fan sites were saying "what the **** is this crap" during said reveal trailers. Only when the game titles were released did every start cheering (PS fan sites included). I found it funny that the PS fan sites could go from "what is this crap" to "hell yeah I love this" about the same trailer in about 90 seconds.

You are correct when you say games without good graphics have harder times selling themselves.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEE continue the narrative!
I swear I fell apart when I heard zero was gonna be a reboot [the actual game being lackluster didn't help either], more than anything I want it to follow up from assault or command or viva pinata or whatever,anything, and give us a new chapter in the star fox story and quit trying to ride off on 64

oh and for the love of jebus,bring back the assault cast!! THEY WERE SO FLIPPING PERFECT,WHY CAN THEM!?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
How about not being on rails? How about a game that takes advantage of the potential of the franchise?

Let's have epic, full-on space battles, with giant cruisers and gunships doing battle with each other while the smaller fighters and all around them.

How about being able to travel to different solar systems, maybe even battle in the atmosphere of a planet or two, with different weather effects or lighting conditions.

How about some on-foot missions, where Fox and his gang have to infiltrate enemy bases, plant a bomb or something, and then escape, or steal plans.

Maybe even have a planet or a space station that serves as the hub, where all the missions are accepted, then you can jump in your ship and travel to the different planets, but maybe on the way you have encounters with enemy scout ships or something.

Anything but an on-rails snoozefest.

The first thing Nintendo needs to do is come up with an original story. Yes, Starfox 64 worked as a reboot of the original, but that doesn't pass in today's gaming world. 64 was a pioneer of 3D gaming. Zero's HD coat of paint and new control schemes weren't enough to differentiate the title. I hope we go back to the days of Star Fox Assault with vehicular and on foot combat. Also, no Andross this time around. Let another villain take the mantle.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
How about not being on rails? How about a game that takes advantage of the potential of the franchise?

Let's have epic, full-on space battles, with giant cruisers and gunships doing battle with each other while the smaller fighters and all around them.

How about being able to travel to different solar systems, maybe even battle in the atmosphere of a planet or two, with different weather effects or lighting conditions.

How about some on-foot missions, where Fox and his gang have to infiltrate enemy bases, plant a bomb or something, and then escape, or steal plans.

Maybe even have a planet or a space station that serves as the hub, where all the missions are accepted, then you can jump in your ship and travel to the different planets, but maybe on the way you have encounters with enemy scout ships or something.

Anything but an on-rails snoozefest.

Didn't Star Fox Assault come close to that?

I didn't play too much of it, but I enjoyed what I played. The mixture of air, land, and tank-bound combat seemed pretty rad.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Didn't Star Fox Assault come close to that?

I didn't play too much of it, but I enjoyed what I played. The mixture of air, land, and tank-bound combat seemed pretty rad.

I actually didn't play it because I don't really like StarFox. Mostly because I don't like on-rail shooters like that. They were cool back in the NES/SNES days, but imo that kind of gameplay style is obsolete.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
If they're not afraid to do something new with the series, it could easily be one of the heaviest hitters in Nintendo's arsenal. There are plenty of underutilized franchises for them to have a go at too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom