• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Star Fox: Legacy (Mido's Long-Winded Star Fox Game Idea)

Mido

Version 1
In the years before Star Fox: Zero was announced, and after I finished Command, I spent the better part of seven years or so imagining the direction of the series after the DS title. Unfortunately, the multiple endings formula of the game roughed up the chances for a potential direction for the series. Luckily, unbeknownst to Nintendo, a certain fan of the series who likely placed too much stock in it to begin with, sought a direction of his own for the series. It's likely other overzealous fans did the same thing, but due to mild popular demand (*cough* @Spirit *cough*), here it is. Below is...Star Fox: Legacy.

In the vein similar to Gears of War 4, this game would follow the endeavors of a new generation of characters. Since the game had multiple endings, I saw it fit at the time to pull a Shadow the Hedgehog and introduce a "true ending" of sorts. combining elements from certain endings to create a feasible common ground.

The Story
After the Star Fox team defeated the Anglar Empire, the team soon disbanded. Each member returned to pursue his/her interests. Slippy went back to Aquas to eventually settle down with his fiancé, Amanda, and eventually they start a family. Falco, once again, returns to flying solo like he once had for a time. As for Fox and Krystal, they reconcile their differences and eventually marry and have a son who is named Marcus. Star Wolf, who helped fight off the Empire, is cleared of their bounties before the team eventually fades into mild obscurity. Peppy retains his position as general of the Cornerian army, and takes time to spend with his daughter Lucy, reminiscing about the past. Everyone else too returns to their normal endeavors, taking time to enjoy the peace. Most notable among them is Dash Bowman, Andross's grandson, who eventually works his was to become Venom's Steward. Those who conspired with the Anglars were imprisoned, most notably Andrew Oikonny. With the pieces in place, the Lylat System is now at peace.

Years pass. Andrew Oikonny, growing frustrated over his constant string of failures to live up to his uncle's name, starts to lose his sanity. Nevertheless, his strange behavior attracts attention from supporters of the old regime under Andross. With their help, Oikonny eventually busts out and stages a coup on Venom. This leads to Dash being supplanted (and barely escaping with his life) and Oikonny seizing power instead. Under new leadership, Venom becomes a hotbed of danger once again. Oikonny, with his newfound position, declares war on the Lylat System. With an all-too-familiar war ahead, will new heroes join the fight?

Essentially, the story is a reskinned Lylat Wars. It advances the story, but keeps things rooted in familiar territory a la The Force Awakens. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to pull something as neat as Assault at this point in the series considering the risks Command took story-wise. As far as characters go, here's the score I once had in mind:

Star Fox
latest

Falco Lombardi
Marcus McCloud
Slippy Toad's Unnamed Son (Presumably the eldest one)
Peppy Hare's Unnamed Granddaughter

*This is the team established in one of Command's endings. Most notable among them is Falco, who is occupying the "veteran role" like Peppy once had. Not much is revealed about the other characters save for Marcus, who is sort of implied as being a pilot as capable as his father with the added bonus of being telepathic a la his mother in Assault. I took creative liberties with the other two. Peppy's granddaughter I'd imagine to be the new Falco of sorts, being the brash flying ace; whereas Slippy's son is similar to his father, but more grounded and less accident prone, not unlike Slippy's portrayal in Assault.

Rival Faction

What's a new Star Fox team without a new set of rivals? When I wrote this all up years ago, I only came up with three members, although four would work much better given the numbers' game. In light of this, here's what I got:

Cayde (Monroe)*
Leon Powalski - still keeping up a rivalry with Falco
Zazan - the ace pilot of the now-defunct Anglar army.
Unknown - probably a character as young as Cayde since the other two are older.

*He's the only character in the roster I made up. He would be the son of established character Katt Monroe of the Zoness missions and Kool (pictured below in pilot's seat, leader of the Hot Rodders (a group appearing in the manga Farewell, Beloved Falco).

latest

I initially wanted to name the group Star Wing as an homage to the PAL name of the SNES Star Fox game. However, perhaps something more creative would do the trick.

The Gameplay

The gameplay follows general series protocol, incorporating mainly arwing missions. Some missions do utilize on-foot portions along with the landmaster and the blue marine for two of them. The planets/locations in the story include, but are not limited to the following:

Corneria
Sector Y
Aquas
Sauria
Zoness
Sector Z
Area 6
Meteo (Astroid Belt)
Fichina
Sector X
Titania
Fortuna
Katina
Papetoon
Macbeth
Venom

The Multiplayer

The multiplayer builds off of the potential that Assault started to show and makes it more developed. Mode ideas I had were nothing new, but could perhaps work in the series:

• A deathmatch/team deathmatch mode with the ability for players to utilize arial and ground vehicles and on-foot gameplay. The weapon variety of Assault is present.
  • Dogfight: Simple Arwing battles; probably the most important part of the multiplayer.
  • Survival (akin to Gears's Horde mode)
  • Coop Missions
  • War Mode akin to COD: World at War.
-The maps in the story would be featured in varying capacity in the multiplayer.
-Characters not playable in the story available as character skins in multiplayer.

On that note, I'll wrap this up. These were the general ideas I had for a potential sequel to Command. Nothing here is truly groundbreaking, as multiple series, especially on the multiplayer front, already do/have done this. My mentality at the time was for Nintendo to make Star Fox a series that could replicate these features and potentially add its own spin on them. I might consider adding more to this thread in terms of the few details I did plan out for the hypothetical game, but for now, I'll leave everything at this.

In the years before Star Fox: Zero was announced, and after I finished Command, I spent the better part of seven years or so imagining the direction of the series after the DS title. Unfortunately, the multiple endings formula of the game roughed up the chances for a potential direction for the series. Luckily, unbeknownst to Nintendo, a certain fan of the series who likely placed too much stock in it to begin with, sought a direction of his own for the series. It's likely other overzealous fans did the same thing, but due to mild popular demand (*cough* @Spirit *cough*), here it is. Below is...Star Fox: Legacy.

In the vein similar to Gears of War 4, this game would follow the endeavors of a new generation of characters. Since the game had multiple endings, I saw it fit at the time to pull a Shadow the Hedgehog and introduce a "true ending" of sorts. combining elements from certain endings to create a feasible common ground.

The Story
After the Star Fox team defeated the Anglar Empire, the team soon disbanded. Each member returned to pursue his/her interests. Slippy went back to Aquas to eventually settle down with his fiancé, Amanda, and eventually they start a family. Falco, once again, returns to flying solo like he once had for a time. As for Fox and Krystal, they reconcile their differences and eventually marry and have a son who is named Marcus. Star Wolf, who helped fight off the Empire, is cleared of their bounties before the team eventually fades into mild obscurity. Peppy retains his position as general of the Cornerian army, and takes time to spend with his daughter Lucy, reminiscing about the past. Everyone else too returns to their normal endeavors, taking time to enjoy the peace. Most notable among them is Dash Bowman, Andross's grandson, who eventually works his was to become Venom's Steward. Those who conspired with the Anglars were imprisoned, most notably Andrew Oikonny. With the pieces in place, the Lylat System is now at peace.

Years pass. Andrew Oikonny, growing frustrated over his constant string of failures to live up to his uncle's name, starts to lose his sanity. Nevertheless, his strange behavior attracts attention from supporters of the old regime under Andross. With their help, Oikonny eventually busts out and stages a coup on Venom. This leads to Dash being supplanted (and barely escaping with his life) and Oikonny seizing power instead. Under new leadership, Venom becomes a hotbed of danger once again. Oikonny, with his newfound position, declares war on the Lylat System. With an all-too-familiar war ahead, will new heroes join the fight?

Essentially, the story is a reskinned Lylat Wars. It advances the story, but keeps things rooted in familiar territory a la The Force Awakens. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to pull something as neat as Assault at this point in the series considering the risks Command took story-wise. As far as characters go, here's the score I once had in mind:

Star Fox
latest

Falco Lombardi
Marcus McCloud
Slippy Toad's Unnamed Son (Presumably the eldest one)
Peppy Hare's Unnamed Granddaughter

*This is the team established in one of Command's endings. Most notable among them is Falco, who is occupying the "veteran role" like Peppy once had. Not much is revealed about the other characters save for Marcus, who is sort of implied as being a pilot as capable as his father with the added bonus of being telepathic a la his mother in Assault. I took creative liberties with the other two. Peppy's granddaughter I'd imagine to be the new Falco of sorts, being the brash flying ace; whereas Slippy's son is similar to his father, but more grounded and less accident prone, not unlike Slippy's portrayal in Assault.

Rival Faction

What's a new Star Fox team without a new set of rivals? When I wrote this all up years ago, I only came up with three members, although four would work much better given the numbers' game. In light of this, here's what I got:

Cayde (Monroe)*
Leon Powalski - still keeping up a rivalry with Falco
Zazan - the ace pilot of the now-defunct Anglar army.
Unknown - probably a character as young as Cayde since the other two are older.

*He's the only character in the roster I made up. He would be the son of established character Katt Monroe of the Zoness missions and Kool (pictured below in pilot's seat, leader of the Hot Rodders (a group appearing in the manga Farewell, Beloved Falco).

latest

I initially wanted to name the group Star Wing as an homage to the PAL name of the SNES Star Fox game. However, perhaps something more creative would do the trick.

The Gameplay

The gameplay follows general series protocol, incorporating mainly arwing missions. Some missions do utilize on-foot portions along with the landmaster and the blue marine for two of them. The planets/locations in the story include, but are not limited to the following:

Corneria
Sector Y
Aquas
Sauria
Zoness
Sector Z
Area 6
Meteo (Astroid Belt)
Fichina
Sector X
Titania
Fortuna
Katina
Papetoon
Macbeth
Venom

The Multiplayer

The multiplayer builds off of the potential that Assault started to show and makes it more developed. Mode ideas I had were nothing new, but could perhaps work in the series:

• A deathmatch/team deathmatch mode with the ability for players to utilize arial and ground vehicles and on-foot gameplay. The weapon variety of Assault is present.
  • Dogfight: Simple Arwing battles; probably the most important part of the multiplayer.
  • Survival (akin to Gears's Horde mode)
  • Coop Missions
  • War Mode akin to COD: World at War.
-The maps in the story would be featured in varying capacity in the multiplayer.
-Characters not playable in the story available as character skins in multiplayer.

On that note, I'll wrap this up. These were the general ideas I had for a potential sequel to Command. Nothing here is truly groundbreaking, as multiple series, especially on the multiplayer front, already do/have done this. My mentality at the time was for Nintendo to make Star Fox a series that could replicate these features and potentially add its own spin on them. I might consider adding more to this thread in terms of the few details I did plan out for the hypothetical game, but for now, I'll leave everything at this.

Hoooooly crap. You really are the biggest Star Fox fan the series has aren't you. I didnt know about a lot of what you said, like the manga.

Anyway, i hope you like this. <3

Spirit's long-winded Star Fox revival plan.

The trailer:

The year is 20XX and Nintendo have revealed a powerful (lol) new console, but instead of a Zelda, Mario or even Pikmin trailer to show off the power of the console as a launch title we get Star Fox.

The trailer starts off showing a photorealistic city in whatever K-HD visuals are at that point. Life is good in the city and anthro animals are living their lives in peace... until machines attack via warp-holes a la Star Fox Zero and destroy the place. The incredible visuals sell the degree of destruction well; buildings fall, fires rage and dust flies up into the air.

A wrecked sign reads 'Corneria' in the wreckage.

(Soundtrack during the trailer is Distortion MX- Imminent Impact)

Fade to black.

STAR FOX INVASION

The Direct:
That same year we get a Star Fox themed Direct.

The story goes that a threat never before seen has invaded the Lylat system for reasons unknown. Elite teams from across the galaxy are assembled to fight the menace and learn of its intentions. These invading machines seem to be following orders but the source of these orders is a mystery that will slowly be discovered throughout gameplay.

We learn that the game is an open world multiplayer squad focussed shooter (though you can play single player).
Twelve playable characters are available to select. Four from the Star Fox squad. Four from Star Wolf and four from Star Hound, a new team lead by Krystal. Your chosen character determines your team affiliation and your starting planet in the game.

The free roaming game has many new Arwing abilities and each Arwing has an exclusive transformation.

For example, Fox's Arwing transforms into a fox and can cover large distances when running on ground.

Peppy's Arwing turns into a hare with sonic-cannons for ears.

Falco's Arwing transforms into a bird with homing missiles for feathers and can descend and ascend in 360 movement for added mobility. Etc etc.

New weaponry such as laser-edge wings add more strategy to fights. For example, acitvate the laser-wings (which eat collected energy from drops), sommersault over persuing enemies and cut through them from behind. Barrel rolls can be used with laser-wing tech to drill your Arwing through enemy weakpoints and scenery.

To go with the transformations and new weaponry the environments will be scaled and destructible. For example if there's a building in your flight path simply shoot a hole in the wall, fly through it and check out the scenery within, there may even be civilians that need saving from enemies inside.

There are neat touches to sell the incredible graphics; shoot an enemy, the enemy explodes, you fly through the explosion and do a barrel roll, as you do wreckage and smoke spirals around your Arwing and gets thrown aside. This game looks good.

Early in the game your character discovers the technology behind the warp-holes that the enemies are using. As more planets are visited throughout the story you are able to use these warps to visit previously cleared planets to attend SOS calls you may recieve.

The open world is divided into three zones. Planets, high altitude sections and space.

Planets are typical Star Fox affair, there are enemies to kill things to find plus civilians to save. You'll always have forward momentum but you wont be on rails meaning you can go anywhere on the planet at any time.

High altitude sections occur when leaving or entering a planet. You'll take damage due to the heat and speed you need to achieve to break atmo (so be prepared whenever you try to leave a planet) movement will be restricted to a straight path at high speeds and you'll be tasked with grabbing health and power ups to survive and defeating enemies who give chase.

Space acts like a hub giving you access to all visited planets. The enemies have attacked the entire Lylat system at once and have built forcefields around the planets. You must power up (via pick ups found in the worlds and excess Arwing energy plus enemies killed etc etc) and use The Great Fox to blow these forcefields apart to gain access to them.

In space you can also visit the Great Fox for maintenance, mini games, upgrades and game options.

During planet gameplay you are tasked with destroying the machine menace (indicated by an enemy count), rescuing civilians trapped in buildings around the planet and answering SOS calls which act like sidequests and reward you with rare pick ups and upgrades.

You can play as a squad of four via the net and local multiplayer in story mode.

Other modes include squad battles. A mode where players fight in map areas in timed battles. The surviving team wins.

A horde mode where a group of four fight against increasingly powerful enemies.

Boss rush, time trials, hard mode and new game plus will all be available too.

This is part one of four Star Fox games in my head for Nintendo's super console @Mido if you want to hear more then let me know and i'll comment more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom