• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Star Fox 25th Anniversary

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Today marks the 25th Anniversary of the original Star Fox game on the SNES. In light of that, I come forth with the question: what's your history with the franchise? What do you think of it? What's your favorite game?
I personally haven't played any games in the series. However, my roommate has Zero for the Wii U, and I'm planning on checking out 64 later. Introducing myself to the franchise to celebrate it.
I used to main Fox in Brawl though. So that's cool.

Ninja

Well well well
StarFox 64 was my first and current favorite game in the franchise. I thought the GameCube game was alright, however aside from that no other StarFox game has really appealed to me.

I do agree with you though, he's a great Smash character, I used to have Fox and Link team up and battle everyone.

I played Starwing on snes and wasn't that blown away. I'd already played games with the fx chip so Fox and his crew didn't have a chance to blow me away.

I played 64 and liked it but there were much better games to play on the N64 such as OoT and MM.

I missed Assault but played Adventures. Without a GC Zelda at the time Adventures filled a void but not very well.

I didn't like Command or Zero.

I've never been involved with Star fox as a series, I've never had a fan connection with Fox and his crew but the series definitely does deserve much better.

It is a shame Platinum didnt get full control over Zero and it may even be a shame Tecmo Koei were denied in doing a Star Fox Warriors title.

Hopefully Miyamoto wont bog down the next game. But the next game is already a hard sell if it is following Zero since Zero sucked and no one wants to be reminded of it.

I dont want yet another reboot for the poor franchise but Zero isn't the best foundation for a new continuity.

Last edited:

Quin

Disaster Master
The two SNES games are both great and one of the heavy hitters of the console, even with one of them releasing officially only last year. Great games.
64 is one of the best games of all times though. It was short but the game play was great and addictive. I only got around to playing it on the wii VC and I was hooked for days all the way until I got all medals on expert and I had a blast. Not really short if you think about it, doing this took quite a while.

It went downhill from there though. I liked adventures when I first played it but that's more because it plays like a really mediocre zelda game.
Assault was a step in the right direction, The Arwing stages were alright but not as replayable and fun as 64, but On foot was terrible. The multiplayer was fantastic though, I have to give them that.
Command on the other hand is hands down the worst in the series. Terrible repetitive gameplay bundled with a terrible dramatic soap opera story that outright killed the franchise. I don't like reboots but it had to be done after this mess off a game.

Zero isn't as bad as most say it was. I doesn't come close to 64 or even the SNES games, but its probably better than the rest. Everyone *****es about the controls but that just takes some time getting used to. I'm more of a fan of the traditional controls but it could have been worse. The bigger problems are the stage designs though, almost none of them felt fun to replay, and the fact you had no routes didn't help the game at all. Out of the "new" vehicles I liked the walker, but that slow stealth thing which I don't even care enough for to look the name up for was terrible and almost made me gave up on the game. I'm glad it was only for one mission though. The game needed more fun linear levels and bosses instead of open

Sadly the anniversary will be as dead as the Metroid one. I really wish more for the series.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Super Smash Bros Melee was my first exposure to the star fox series,and out of all the franchises featured in that game, star fox was the one i was most interested in giving a shot. Unfortunately I never saw adventures or assault in stores when I was a kid. Then brawl came out and that was my first time playing Star Fox 64, the 3 minute demo the game had. Not too long after I got Star Fox Assault on amazon [first post childhood gamecube game] and I ended up loving it, despite how painfully short it was. Then I got Star Fox 64 on the virtual console and I adored that one. Assault was a great game but 64 just nailed the gameplay. I always use 64 and Assault as an example as to why I prefer gameplay over story. Some years later I would then buy Adventures, and it was a solid game in my opinion, I definitely enjoyed it more than most people it seems. Actually I recall seeing trailers on Adventures on this touch screen type of device as a kid at La Curacao, but like I mentioned I never did find the game in person. When I got my 3ds, Star Fox 64 3d was among the first few games I needed to get. And then apart from emulating the Star Fox 2 rom in high school, that's it. Haven't played the SNES version, Command, or Zero, mostly b/c I never owned any of the systems they were on.

I hate that this series never got the attention it needed, and that Fox McCloud has become more synonymous w/ smash bros than his actual series [a fate that befell captain falcon ;-;], hopefully we'll get more installments that actually pushes the series forward like assault rather than continue living in the shadow of 64 or the original

I've only played Star Fox 64 3D, Star Fox Zero, and Star Fox Guard.

Of those, I really enjoyed the 3DS remake of Star Fox 64. The game is really short, but the dialogue is quite endearing, and it's one of my go-to games if I have a short amount of time to spare. The levels are so short that it's fun to blast through a campaign in one sitting.

Star Fox Zero has a potentially good game hidden somewhere in there, but I can't get past the garbage controls.

Star Fox Guard is a pretty fun game to play for short bursts, but it's nothing like a traditional Star Fox game.

With how slow Nintendo is with releasing Star Fox games, maybe I can catch up without missing any before the 30th anniversary.

I have played every StarFox game besides Command for the DS. I plan to change that.

My dream StarFox game would require someone like Retro Studios to make.

For me the SNES original is the best game. Musically, graphically, just totally on point. The 64 game improves in some ways but also is many steps backwards.
I would like to see the next Star Fox game go back to it's roots. No dual screen (not possible on the switch), no weak as piss music (Star Fox 64), no revisiting areas because there's not enough good story or thought out ideas (Star Fox Zero). How?

• Use people well versed in making good elecronic and rock music. Basically heavy rock or techno/electro then synthesise it. Something like the first SF game but better. (not metal, that's more Classic DOOM). The Star Fox music needs to sound edgy, out there and something great to play too. Not weak and forgetable like SF64.
  • Make the level/map structure simple. No travelling back and forward through the galaxy. A few straight forward paths to the end. SF and SF64 but this right. SFZ got it totally wrong.
  • Make Andross different but fun and not too hard. The SFZ Andross was a joke. Much too hard and just not fun.
  • Bring back the Blue Marine.
  • Making the game open world is also not a bad idea as long as the stages are on rails or all range mode and the ares between the stages are not dead and boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom