• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stamina Bar- Should They Keep It?

Would you like to see the stamina bar in the next game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MW7

Ok so I searched the forums and the only discussion about the stamina bar that has been done was speculative prior to the game's release (found here http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?12506-Stamina-Bar-Make-or-Break&highlight=stamina). Now that we have all played through the game (I assume of course), what did you think about it? Should they keep it in the next game(s)?

As for me I think it's a complete no-brainer to keep it forever (unless they come up with something better) rather than go back to rolling. As someone that plays the games in the series a lot, basically it comes down to pressing the A button every half second or pressing and holding it instead. It can get a little annoying to run out of stamina at the inopportune time (such as when you just arrive at a block you need to push), but IMO that annoyance is dwarfed by the tediousness of rolling over and over. If there's one thing about Skyward Sword that I'd be geniunely mad if we don't see it next time, it's the stamina bar. Yes, I mean that it is more important to me than even 1:1 motion control. I'd be content playing a button-based Zelda game, but having to roll again would be a serious downgrade IMO.

So what do you think?

It really depends on the game. Since Skyward Sword was so focused on the mechanical aspect of Zelda, it benefited from the addition of the stamina meter. But in some cases, rolling may be better and I believe that may be more comfortable for gamers using the Wii U controller.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
This feature definitely needs to make a return. It might not work in every setting, depending on what Link's capabilities are in a fresh title, but it can still be used in many ways. But based on my experience with it in Skyward Sword some parts of it worked while others belittled the usefulness of the meter. For example, doing a Spin Attack in any direction will take away some of the capacity, as will rolling. Those two movements, while both physical, shouldn't have been involved much stamina, IMO.

And aside from it being necessary in many cases, there were points where I found it very...inopportune, as the OP put it. I enjoyed dashing to any spot I could, timing it so that Link didn't run out of stamina, and just when I was about to reach my goal the cautionary beeping went insane and Link pooped out. Such "goals" include blocks that I'd run up, logs, and even one time the portal that'd take me out of a Silent Realm, a Flying Guardian on my tail. That was unfortunate, because I had to restart.

Point: It's fun to challenge yourself with the Stamina Meter, even whenever the end result is frustration (like it petering out amongst a fight). But I'd take it over spamming the A button just to roll anyday. I love how Link can finally sprint, and while it's surrounded by many disadvantageous there are almost twice as many benefits there to save the day.

EDIT: I didn't think of this before, but now that Link can run would we even need Epona? I'd rather we had both, whether we felt like going on foot or horseback. That surely would satiate a Zelda fan's desire for exploration before they turned completely to Skyrim.

Last edited:
I've never really felt that rolling increased Link's speed all that much with the exception of wind waker, I liked the stamina meter and it'd be nice to see it again, maybe the could impliment it to Epona or whatever else Link will come to travel on rather than having a set amount of feathers/carrots. I think that could be nice since using the carrots sometimes caused a bit of hassle, using one too soon or too late before a jump etc....

Though i'm a little worried if Nintendo bring the Stamina meter back that they'll modify it, or overcomplicate it, i can see a charge feature being easily added for example but all in all it'd be nice to see it again. I loved drawing my sword in SS while sprinting to deal some sweet justice. =]

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I really hope they keep the staminia bar.. I'm kinda tired of seeing link roll everywhere and useing the backwards while z targeting trick.. I also like it for the fact that it's more realistic.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I'm somewhere in the middle while the stamina bar made the game realistic which I like to see in games it got very annoying especially in fights against the Imprisoned until I found a very east way to kill the Imprisoned during Hero Mode.

My opinion is that they should continue with this idea, it can be improved, but I cant really tell its flaws. And I agree, going back to rolling would be a downgrade. Now that I think about it, in SS rolling can still be used for speed, like when you are in the academy "no running in the halls" but I can always roll :D

MW7

My opinion is that they should continue with this idea, it can be improved, but I cant really tell its flaws. And I agree, going back to rolling would be a downgrade. Now that I think about it, in SS rolling can still be used for speed, like when you are in the academy "no running in the halls" but I can always roll :D

The only thing that seemed missing to me was maybe a stamina upgrade around halfway or later on in the game. And there could have been places that could only have been reached with the upgrade (or a stamina potion now that I think about it). There wasn't anything in the mechanic itself that seemed "wrong" to me either though; I just think an improvement to the capacity could have been earned.

C

Chase

I think the ability to sprint is better then rolling, but I kinda miss rolling to tell the truth... Who knows what Nintendo will do next game?

L

Lozzykins

I like the idea of keeping the stamina bar, although I'm not too fond of the green dial that appears by Link's side every time I dash...

Perhaps they could remove the dial and just incorporate the sound effect of the timer ticking down? I'd much prefer that.

R

Red Waffles

They should definetly keep it. It makes traveling faster and adds new challenges. Definetly beats rolling and if Nintendo plays with it a little it could become a regular for the series.

I like it too and they should keep it going forward and as someone else said, there should be an upgrade halfway through the game where your stamina depletes half as slow. I could see this implemented in a mini game or fetch quest where you have to precisely time a course so as to not run out of stamina be it timed or while running from something.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I liked the stamina bar and how it was able to implement more actions. I enjoyed being able to run up a wall or climb faster with it. For me I didn't find the limit to the stamina a problem because it regenerates quickly. I introduced some variety to your mobility and the ways that you could move to new places. In my opinion the stamina bar was one of the things that skyward sword did very well, but it might not work for every game. It does need to return for sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom