• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SSHD ties

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I know you're all thinking it. It was only a matter of time before someone began to question Nintendo's oh so clever timing, pulling puzzle pieces together in a puzzle we didn't even know was there (and may still be but a figment of our overactive imaginations). The fact that Nintendo gave us a new copy of Skyward Sword, a game younger than the fan-favorite TP and WW, and THIS
1626569189264.png
around the same time is hard to ignore. My conclusion- SS has islands in the sky. Botw2 has islands in the sky. Could it be that Nintendo is trying to remind us of something from SS, something important? Or could it possibly just be that they want this to be the final major showdown, bringing the timeline full circle (not in a wheel of timeline way, just a reflection to it's roots) and tie everything together? Either way Ninty seems as though they're planning something. There is no such thing as coincidences.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I agree the similarities are apt, and wrote at length about this a month ago. The original BotW had a lot of influence from Skyward Sword as well. I kind of think BotW 2 is what SS could have been, in terms of gameplay philosophy, if the devs could have went through with the original vision they had for SS.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I know you're all thinking it. It was only a matter of time before someone began to question Nintendo's oh so clever timing, pulling puzzle pieces together in a puzzle we didn't even know was there (and may still be but a figment of our overactive imaginations). The fact that Nintendo gave us a new copy of Skyward Sword, a game younger than the fan-favorite TP and WW, and THIS
View attachment 48146
around the same time is hard to ignore. My conclusion- SS has islands in the sky. Botw2 has islands in the sky. Could it be that Nintendo is trying to remind us of something from SS, something important? Or could it possibly just be that they want this to be the final major showdown, bringing the timeline full circle (not in a wheel of timeline way, just a reflection to it's roots) and tie everything together? Either way Ninty seems as though they're planning something. There is no such thing as coincidences.
I doubt it.

If Nintendo's writing style has taught me anything, it's that we should never expect any definitive connections between games. If they truly are floating islands in the sky then the game will contrive some reason for said islands to be totally different and somehow exist in a parallel world to the islands from Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I doubt it.

If Nintendo's writing style has taught me anything, it's that we should never expect any definitive connections between games. If they truly are floating islands in the sky then the game will contrive some reason for said islands to be totally different and somehow exist in a parallel world to the islands from Skyward Sword.
They're probably not the same exact Islands from SS, but it does seem to be an interesting parallel. Another thing I just thought of a second ago, I wish I could find a picture of it but towards the beginning of skyward when Zelda fell down to the surface world?
https://youtu.be/wKkOOTX9wwA?t=2974
Awfully similar to when we see Zelda falling in the BotW2 trailer, along with Link's freefall. There's way too many things for it to be coincidence by this point, I'm just not sure what connection Nintendo is wanting us to make.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
They're probably not the same exact Islands from SS, but it does seem to be an interesting parallel. Another thing I just thought of a second ago, I wish I could find a picture of it but towards the beginning of skyward when Zelda fell down to the surface world?
https://youtu.be/wKkOOTX9wwA?t=2974
Awfully similar to when we see Zelda falling in the BotW2 trailer, along with Link's freefall. There's way too many things for it to be coincidence by this point, I'm just not sure what connection Nintendo is wanting us to make.
I agree fwiw
Developers usually do things the way they do for a reason, even nintendo
Still wish this thread was about neckties tho

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
There is no such thing as coincidences.
yeah there is, like all the time

I'll hand you that making botw 2 somewhat sky themed right when there's a skyward sword remaster is eyebrow raising, but do not be surprised if all it amounts to is some easter eggs and nothing more, if even that

reminder that minish cap has sky beings w/ the wind tribe and the fortress of wind, twilight princess has the city in the sky and a race of sky beings w/ the ooccoo, and of course skyward sword was all about the sky

none of them made any connections or references to each other, I'd love to be wrong for botw2 but I'm not getting any hope up

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
reminder that minish cap has sky beings w/ the wind tribe and the fortress of wind, twilight princess has the city in the sky and a race of sky beings w/ the ooccoo, and of course skyward sword was all about the sky

none of them made any connections or references to each other, I'd love to be wrong for botw2 but I'm not getting any hope up
That's not necessarily true. Connections do exist. I've seen some pretty convincing theories that the wind tribe from Minish Cap became the Rito in BotW, due to similar imagery and naming conventions associated with both (the new Rito symbols and the name Tabantha for example), and I'm like 90% certain TP's City in the Sky was supposed to be the remains of Skyloft and the Ooccoo are what became of its inhabitants who never returned to the surface. Weird, but supposedly true nonetheless. I don't think it's unlikely for these new sky islands to be related to Skyloft in some way.

Playing SSHD got me thinking about this again, and I get the feeling it was also a test for some of the mechanics in BotW 2, since free fall exists in both games as we saw in the trailer. I'm willing to bet that free fall in BotW 2 will control the same way it does in SSHD. So, that's something to think about.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
That's not necessarily true. Connections do exist. I've seen some pretty convincing theories that the wind tribe from Minish Cap became the Rito in BotW, due to similar imagery and naming conventions associated with both (the new Rito symbols and the name Tabantha for example), and I'm like 90% certain TP's City in the Sky was supposed to be the remains of Skyloft and the Ooccoo are what became of its inhabitants who never returned to the surface. Weird, but supposedly true nonetheless. I don't think it's unlikely for these new sky islands to be related to Skyloft in some way.

Playing SSHD got me thinking about this again, and I get the feeling it was also a test for some of the mechanics in BotW 2, since free fall exists in both games as we saw in the trailer. I'm willing to bet that free fall in BotW 2 will control the same way it does in SSHD. So, that's something to think about.
I can't recall a single thing in skyward sword that would connect it to the city in the sky, at least no concrete hints and not fan speculation

I can't speak for botw but I'm specifically talking minish cap, twilight princess, and skyward sword since since that's 3 games in (very loose) succession that involved sky civilizations that made no clear effort to connect to each other, they basically went out of their way to make each their own thing as possible

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I can't recall a single thing in skyward sword that would connect it to the city in the sky, at least no concrete hints and not fan speculation

I can't speak for botw but I'm specifically talking minish cap, twilight princess, and skyward sword since since that's 3 games in (very loose) succession that involved sky civilizations that made no clear effort to connect to each other, they basically went out of their way to make each their own thing as possible
To be fair I don't remember what exactly pointed to the City in the Sky and Skyloft being the same, but I remember that it was a thing. source: dude trust me

Even when it seems like they're their own thing in the game upon release, those ideas often make it into future games and there's where you find the connections, like I explained with the wind tribe imagery and BotW's Rito. Similarly, SS was not the first game to mention Hylia by name, I'm fairly certain I read some of the original Japanese text in some of the older games referenced her.

Clearly a guy who only fuzzily remembers the bottom line and not details of anything is a certified expert. :cool: But yeah, I just wanted to point out its not entirely fair to say there are no connections. We don't always get the connections in the localizations.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
To be fair I don't remember what exactly pointed to the City in the Sky and Skyloft being the same, but I remember that it was a thing. source: dude trust me
the game journalist's method

my gripe here is that these things share obvious themes that you would think would be perfect for a connection or to expand the lore, but instead they just pretend like the other doesn't exist

that's just what I'm getting at, even though botw2 looks like it's perfect to give more skyward sword backstory, they could easily just....not, since it's happened before

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
the game journalist's method

my gripe here is that these things share obvious themes that you would think would be perfect for a connection or to expand the lore, but instead they just pretend like the other doesn't exist

that's just what I'm getting at, even though botw2 looks like it's perfect to give more skyward sword backstory, they could easily just....not, since it's happened before
Well, it has a lot of elements to SS, like the obvious islands and Zelda falling very similarly to the way she fell in SS, as Uwu mentioned. Plus, this has happened a good amount of times. Take Twilight Princess as an example. You travel to the Temple of Time and while it’s not the exact same, it‘s very similar to how it was in Ocarina of Time. TP also expands on some stuff from OoT, like Gannondorf’s execution. Wind Waker also had plenty of references, like the legend you hear at the start of the game, and many references to the Hero of Time. It’s very believable that Breath of the Wild 2 could expand on the lore of SS.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Well, it has a lot of elements to SS, like the obvious islands and Zelda falling very similarly to the way she fell in SS, as Uwu mentioned. Plus, this has happened a good amount of times. Take Twilight Princess as an example. You travel to the Temple of Time and while it’s not the exact same, it‘s very similar to how it was in Ocarina of Time. TP also expands on some stuff from OoT, like Gannondorf’s execution. Wind Waker also had plenty of references, like the legend you hear at the start of the game, and many references to the Hero of Time. It’s very believable that Breath of the Wild 2 could expand on the lore of SS.
I never said zelda games don't make references to each other, I was purely talking about the sky stuff in the games I mentioned, which don't

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
is this true though? I thought that skyward sword specifically took place in the sky because minish cap's lore implies that things started in the sky
saying that they have nothing to do with each other is honestly a bit of a slight to the devs to me, they know what they're doing/implying by making these connections and would likely go out of their way to "prove" they aren't connected lorewise if it were so

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
is this true though? I thought that skyward sword specifically took place in the sky because minish cap's lore implies that things started in the sky
saying that they have nothing to do with each other is honestly a bit of a slight to the devs to me, they know what they're doing/implying by making these connections and would likely go out of their way to "prove" they aren't connected lorewise if it were so
I'm not sure if you mean the intro? b/c those events are definitely seperate from what happened in skyward sword
plus I vividly remember skyward sword being stated as an ocarina of time prequel, minish cap being in b/w wasn't acknowledged by nintendo until hyrule historia (unless there's some info I completely overlooked)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom