• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros World of Light (NO SPOILERS)

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So i find WOL to be somewhat time consuming(yay) and really RNG'd alot of the time, theres tons of weak spirits to collect and unfortunately you kinda of need big hulking Spirits to get through some of the more irritating ones (9k+power f'r instance) the thing that's bugging me from hell n back is how Legendary Spirits become somewhat mandatory if you are trying to unlock all characters in WOL and explore it fully, not to mention arbitrary roadblocks of stupidly powerful Spirits, as much as i'm liking the mode it feels somewhat lacking granted i haven't even killed off one of the bosses yet (yay for stupidly strong spirits......)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I really enjoyed it a lot. Five times as much content as Subspace, admittedly with less story. But that's fine, cuz I love spirit battles a lot. They're chaotic and fun, and they often capture what makes me play Smash at all despite me hating fighting games. World of Light was awesome.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I really enjoyed it a lot. Five times as much content as Subspace, admittedly with less story. But that's fine, cuz I love spirit battles a lot. They're chaotic and fun, and they often capture what makes me play Smash at all despite me hating fighting games. World of Light was awesome.

i enjoy the challenges but the difficulty fluctuations really bother me, i can understand why theres so much fluctuation due to being able to pick one of 3 fighters near the start for the initial path.

There are some things with World of Light that are pretty interesting, but I don't find the spirit battles to be one of them. There isn't really any difference between spirit battles in WoL and the ones on the Spirit Board, so it's just like a copy/paste for two 'different' modes. Subspace's trophy acquisition was drastically different than the game modes like coin launcher that were designated for getting trophies outside of adventure. So World of Light's appeal for me is more about the big picture of progression than the battles themselves, which I feel kind of bad about. The spirit battles themselves are fine, but they still really are just overglorified event matches more than anything, and the Spirit Board feels like a better representation of the event match style, and the adventure mode should have been more adventure-esque. The map interaction is more immersive than the battles are, and is probably its greatest appeal. The boss fights are well done too and I really love Galeems fight and the actual boss fight is literally a meme come true about my light jokes comparing him to a certain light themed boss from Hollow Knight :eyes:, but most of the bosses in WoL are also in classic mode so it sort of goes back to it having less uniqueness than it could. Subspace's bosses were exclusive to Subspace until you unlocked the boss rush mode (which Ultimate sadly lacks as a designated mode as well), and having already fought a lot of bosses in advance, I didn't really find much surprise in who I had to face in WoL or discovery in how to fight them. There are some really special moments in WoL but it's a pretty long grind to get there.

Since revisiting WoL last night, I'm not as negative about it and have had almost a year to let my view of it ferment... but I still feel it could have been a lot better. More than anything, I want a prequel to it, show the characters teamig up and learning about the threat of Galeem. As far as what World of Light is, it's essentially a very dragged out version of the endgame Subspace levels where you had to reawaken all the fighters after they got turned into trophies by Tabuu. Again, the before would have been nice to have.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
As much as i like WoL it gets some negative points for the way the maps laid out, you don't get much direction on where to go or what to do especially if you're trying to bypass the broken bridges sans the required spirits for it or riding the train or opening the gates. Yeah i can understand it's "exploration and battling" but getting a hint on what spirits are important would immensely help.

The circuitous pathing has annoyed me to no end as well, the most direct routes tend to have the more powerful spirits blocking the way so sometimes you're forced to go around. What i still don't get is how some of the ratings work i've seen legendary spirits with 13k power on the enemies team but when i get them they are 10k most of the time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom