• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros SSB2022

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Surely far too early for this but let's have a quick gasp of activity around this concept before the thread is inevitably buried before being replaced by a more timely thread in 2021 when we get our first teaser trailer. Anyway, I got to thinking about this after seeing the wealth of content and the final name of the current title: Ultimate.

So far, I don't think the series has suffered much from the "stakes raising" many series suffer from. This doesn't mean that Super Smash Bros is immune, however, the series seems to have reached an apex of content without becoming bland and soulless. How can Sakurai (should he brave another development cycle) and the team top a game that's actually called "Ultimate"?

I don't have great answers but I'm wondering something. Would fans appreciate a more artisan game? Say a game with only twenty characters with each having even more specialized movesets? Maybe a less balanced game, not one made for high level competitive gamers but one where every character plays completely differently. Maybe there's more focus on guided play, like unique short campaigns for each character and one large, all inclusive campaign which could obviously be played with four players?

I'm not saying that scaling back is a necessity for the series but I do think it could be a positive way to follow up such an archetypical game. I suppose this is related to my feelings on the Zelda series. After the screaming open-air success that was BotW, I want a palette cleanser. A game that is a bit more character focused, more structured. I feel like, in some ways, it's what MM did for OoT.

How are they going to pull off a follow-up to a game called, "Ultimate"?

Well, the word ultimate has more than one meaning. Ultimate can also mean "final." As in final smash (ha).

The series might be done, or maybe it won't be. To be honest, Ultimate is so overreaching and impressive a feat, that I think I would be ok if it were the final installment. People still play the hell out of Melee, and since Ultimate is designed to appeal to those who still play Melee, its relevancy may hold up for a long time to come. SSB4, on the other hand, will probably become obsolete sooner or later as Ultimate has outdone it in essentially every aspect. Sakurai himself has said he probably won't be able to top Ultimate, in terms of content--and getting all the fighters together is a one-time thing, so we should just enjoy it. So whether or not him and his team going "all out" means the end for the series, I don't know.

If there is another game in the series, I would assume it would be a step back in terms of content, but I think it's too soon for both the devs and us as fans to be thinking about that right now. Ultimate will stay in development post-release as they have DLC in the works, and inevitable balancing patches and whatnot.

I think having a roster size similar to Melee's is too small. People have become accustomed to larger rosters in Smash. I think 50 is a better number to aim for. There is still a large variety of characters, while offering a lesser number to balance than Smash 4.

The approach to the roster should be that no character is safe from getting cut. If they've had a game in the last 5 years, they're in. If they haven't, they're not. The one exception should be to third party characters.

Speaking of third party characters, I would like to see some more representation from some of Mario's platforming rivals over the years: Crash, Rayman, and Spyro would all make welcome third party additions.

Other than that, I think the traditional single player modes should be fleshed out more.

Classic should have an opening cut scene like in Street Fighter where the fighter you chose is seen in some kind of story driven scenario, and there is another cutscene after completing Classic Mode where that situation is resolved. I think that would help make the grind less tedious.

I would like to see a shorter Adventure Mode, but one that's unique for each character. I'll use Samus as an example: You fight Ridley in Stage 1, then you explore a level similar to Melee's Adventure Mode, then you fight Kraid as a boss battle in the third stage, you explore another level, then you fight Mother Brain, and finally you escape from an exploding Zebes. I think it would be great to see a more focused mode really flesh out levels that are inspired by each character's franchise.

Finally, bring back a unique Target Test for each fighter. That's been missing since Melee, and it made that game mode so much more fun and interesting with stages specifically suited to that fighters' strengths and abilities.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
With a roster of 25, a campaign could have epic, fully voiced cut scenes...Of course I don't think it's likely, i would be interested in experiencing a more intimate SSB though.

I have no idea what Sakurai will do next if he stays on.

He said he'll never be able to make Ultimate again, this epic roster will not happen again (it must have been so expensive), so anything that comes of the next game may make everyone feel short changed.

I honestly don't know where he'd go next. If I were him I'd quit and wish luck to the next person.

Last edited:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I still would love a smaller roster that's more focused with specific campaign action for each character but let me throw something else out there. They ought to include SSB and Melee in the net release. Like straight up include them as...unlockables? Or from the start, either way. I was never a huge fan of Melee, speed > strategy but it was a solid game and I LOVE the OG, the game that started it all.including Melee would (possibly) breath new life into the competitive communities and would basically cost nothing. I feel like including these touchstones would help round out the experience of a game with a smaller roster. Please, Uncle Sakurai?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom